Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Annual Christmas Tree Lighting at Campus Martius

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/join-us...-up-the-season

This will be the 3rd year in a row my Fiance and I have attended. It's a fun event and it seems to grow and get better with each passing year.

Anyone else going this year? We make a whole night around it and stay Downtown.

I'll probably at least stop by sometime after work. Been watching them set up all the stuff and it looks like a pretty big event.

Check out the Viking or the Leland!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Check out the Viking or the Leland!
    I my friend, was not born yesterday.

Westin all day.

Volunteering til 7 or so then some combination of tree-lighting, drinks, and dinner with the wife.

Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Volunteering til 7 or so then some combination of tree-lighting, drinks, and dinner with the wife.

Looking forward to it.
    I am hoping they have a wider craft beer selection in the tent this year.

I'll be down there for it as well. My girlfriend is hellbent on it, and I've never been, so it should be fun.

The girl and I will be there..i wasnt going to go because I had other plans but the girl said " MOM its our tradition" and who can say no to that?? I actually love that our Traditions [[much like my Mothers and Gradparents) include Detroit..changing the perception for the next generation.. no more of the "in my parents generation it was nice"
    I am suprised they are not selling seating this year. That was a huge bonus for us in the past, it was nice to be able to see the rink and stage from a seat. Hoping they have more bleachers or seating to accomodate the growing crowds

I see that the Detroit Shoppe had moved to the former Kresge location. I wonder if the stores from Somerset going to set up in the Somerset Collection spot. Will the Art and Science of Coffee be open for the event? Woodward is looking well lit up. Can't wait to see what permanent shop will open on the strip. MooseJaw is a perfect fit for the event and the season

This will be the 3rd year in a row my Fiance and I have attended.
    Fiance for 3 years and counting? She must be a saint!

um, with all the budget/consent hoo-ha still going on, who pays for all this? I was anticipating most city-driven winter events to be scuttled..

probably quicken loans and DTE they have deep pockets .

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    um, with all the budget/consent hoo-ha still going on, who pays for all this? I was anticipating most city-driven winter events to be scuttled..
    From the article...

"Join us on tonight, November 16 at 7:30 p.m. as WXYZ TV/Channel 7, along with the Detroit 300 Conservancy, will “Light Up the Season,” with the annual holiday tree lighting ceremony, live from the heart of Detroit at Campus Martius Park.''

The Conservancy runs things at the park... so that should answer your question.

The tree is 55ft. tall... the one at Rockefeller Center is 80ft. tall.... I don't like our tree not being as tall as theirs....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    From the article...

"Join us on tonight, November 16 at 7:30 p.m. as WXYZ TV/Channel 7, along with the Detroit 300 Conservancy, will “Light Up the Season,” with the annual holiday tree lighting ceremony, live from the heart of Detroit at Campus Martius Park.''

The Conservancy runs things at the park... so that should answer your question.

The tree is 55ft. tall... the one at Rockefeller Center is 80ft. tall.... I don't like our tree not being as tall as theirs....
    Size doesn't matter, it's how you use the tree.

Once you go Green you will never be Mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Size doesn't matter, it's how you use the tree.
    Honky Tonk > Ha!

Was passing thru the area midday - pretty extensive work on the Christmas Mart. Looks a bit like European cities' Christmas markets - a few small wooden booths and tents with lots of seller spaces, plus a food/drink/entertainment tent adjoining.

Between Campus Martius and Grand Circus, a few building facades are covered by strings of lights, and snowflake "stickers" are on the pavement.

Detroit Shoppe is cool, as is the person "camping out" in the window of Moosejaw.

Should be a great tree lighting - NOT a small effort this year!

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Fiance for 3 years and counting? She must be a saint!
    1) A little weird.
    2) She is.
    3) Weddings aren't cheap we want to do it right and do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Honky Tonk > Ha!

Was passing thru the area midday - pretty extensive work on the Christmas Mart. Looks a bit like European cities' Christmas markets - a few small wooden booths and tents with lots of seller spaces, plus a food/drink/entertainment tent adjoining.

Between Campus Martius and Grand Circus, a few building facades are covered by strings of lights, and snowflake "stickers" are on the pavement.

Detroit Shoppe is cool, as is the person "camping out" in the window of Moosejaw.

Should be a great tree lighting - NOT a small effort this year!
    Ok, I was thinking the same. It's a pretty intense setup Downtown, nice to see. I see several other stores has pop'd up.

I was downtown at the tree lighting yesterday and was VERY impressed .

I was with several clients/friends and their families yesterday after work.
    It was simply wonderful ! One of my clients, her fiancee[[both now live in Midtown) her mom and dad came down , they hadn't been downtown in YEARS

Her mom worked at Hudson's in the 50' and 60's and said she remembers when downtown was like this year round !
    They were both very impressed and planned on going to the Eastern market today.
    We started at Moosejaw and walked to the Christmas wonderfest @Cadillac Square . we missed the tree lighting ,but didn't care ;-)
    This is what Detroit is capable of . This is what people are talking about when they say "they see the potential in Detroit ".
    Detroit really showed up and showed out last night !
    I haven't seen the city look this good since the super bowl .
    In the short amount of time they had to put this together they did a amazing job !
    Last night downtown Detroit showed it could/can be just as attractive as Chicago, NYC , or Boston.
    If you have any thoughts or questions about what Detroit was like or can be check out the area around campus martius and up to Grand Circus Park , you can see and feel the energy.
    I see really great things happening and even more great things to come in and around downtown Detroit.
    Now if we can just spread the "magic" to the rest of the city !
    Enjoy , support and take pride in your city !
    Enjoy Detroit !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I was downtown at the tree lighting yesterday and was VERY impressed .

I was with several clients/friends and their families yesterday after work.
    It was simply wonderful ! One of my clients, her fiancee[[both now live in Midtown) her mom and dad came down , they hadn't been downtown in YEARS

Her mom worked at Hudson's in the 50' and 60's and said she remembers when downtown was like this year round !
    They were both very impressed and planned on going to the Eastern market today.
    We started at Moosejaw and walked to the Christmas wonderfest @Cadillac Square . we missed the tree lighting ,but didn't care ;-)
    This is what Detroit is capable of . This is what people are talking about when they say "they see the potential in Detroit ".
    Detroit really showed up and showed out last night !
    I haven't seen the city look this good since the super bowl .
    In the short amount of time they had to put this together they did a amazing job !
    Last night downtown Detroit showed it could/can be just as attractive as Chicago, NYC , or Boston.
    If you have any thoughts or questions about what Detroit was like or can be check out the area around campus martius and up to Grand Circus Park , you can see and feel the energy.
    I see really great things happening and even more great things to come in and around downtown Detroit.
    Now if we can just spread the "magic" to the rest of the city !
    Enjoy , support and take pride in your city !
    Enjoy Detroit !
    I feel that every retail district should have pop up shops in their empty storefronts. I see that the Village had already adapted the pop up concept. It would had been nice if Illitch has completed the United Artist building. The retail that would had been on the main floor of that building would had created the walkability from Campus Martius to Grand Circus Park. I would love to see the Avenue of Fashion have pop up shops on it's strip. I would love to see in the future shuttle busses that would take shoppers from downtown to other shopping areas such as the avenue of fashion, Jefferson Village, Cass Corridor, and the Cultural Center. I would buy an old school bus, renovate it, and use it for that purpose if I had the money, time, and patience to do it.

Highlights of the event from Channel 7:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/join-us...-up-the-season

There are several videos showing various scenes from the evening!!!

Great time was had by all on Friday.Great Music, Great skating [[esp. that Ellaj Balde kid from Canada!!!)and Great crowd. The Winterfest shops were upgraded from last year..in fact every year this even gets better to me. We hung out afterwords and shopped, had dinner and just strolled around. Loved it all