Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tall Churches

Default Tall Churches

Detroit has a number of tall churches. Some of the churches are as tall as 4 stories. It's the steeple that pierces the sky.

And, let me add that some of these tall churches are not just tall but huge in size.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  7.4 KB

Name:  Central_United_Methodist_Church_-_Detroit_Michigan.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  22.3 KB

Plus, I must throw in the Detroit is home to the second oldest continuously operating Roman Catholic parish in the United States.
    Name:  images-1.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  6.6 KB

Yes Detroit does have a lot of tall church spires... one is the tallest in the city. Also the city has some large churches... one... with 2,500 seats is the largest Roman Catholic Parish in the city... with more seating than the city's Roman Catholic cathedral. And yes Central United Methodist Church does have a tall steeple... but in a different location than it had before the 1930s widening of Woodward Ave. And its' change of location back then makes for a fascinating read.

And it's good that you corrected yourself on the Ste. Anne's parish.

Where can many of these facts be answered? Why in the DYES Archives of course, where many fine extremely detailed threads posted over many years can be found discussing the tallest/biggest/oldest churches in the city.

I do not understand why there are pictures posted with no caption or identifying information. Most people on DetYes already know that there are many tall churches in Detroit. Unfortunately many of them only have a handful of parishoners. Since the OP is about only saying positive things about Detroit I will omit why these churches only have a handful of parishoners. But then again like the previous poster already stated it's been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes Detroit does have a lot of tall church spires... one is the tallest in the city.
    LOL.

Apparently my message must be ten characters. Otherwise I'd just post LOL.

I recall hearing that Fort Street Presbyterian ruled as the highest human built point in Detroit for several decades in the 19th C.

The new Perfecting Church has some height to it..maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    The new Perfecting Church has some height to it..maybe?

Did they ever finish the new church on Woodward & 7 mile? When I still lived in Detroit earlier this year the Tyvek was still showing.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-15-12 at 04:09 PM.

Strong you are posting things that are not even remedial Detroit on a forum that has the most hard core Detroit fanatics! I do like that you are imursing yourself in the history of your city, but you may want to take Gistok's advise and go through the older threads. With St. Anne's on this site its not how few know about its long run but how few don't know about it! You are giving out pre-school threads to a PHD level group.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Did they ever finish the new church on Woodward & 7 mile? When I still lived in Detroit earlier this year the Tyvek was still showing.
    Still working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Still working on it.
    PS..I agree with your previous post. DetroitYesers have discussed churches in Detroit extensively. It might be a good idea for the OP to check the Archives before posting. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why they are there.

Detroit has a number of tall churches.

How about a T-Shirt with that saying on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    ..... It's the steeple that pierces the sky.

And, let me add that some of these tall churches are not just tall but huge in size.....
    Strong Bad, is that you? Stop pranking us!
    How's things in "Strong Badia [[pop: tire)"?
    When did you decide to stop doing those inane episodes of "Strong Bad Email" and instead come over here to post these insipid threads?

Attachment 16634
    Last edited by Mikeg; November-16-12 at 09:15 AM.

I miss those inane Strong Bad Emails.

St. Cecilia on Livernois and Stearns, north of Grand River has the tallest steeple in Detroit and until the FAA changed the airline approach patterns was one of the official aircraft beacons, lit in red. When the FAA made the decision to not use Cecilia's as the reference point they also mandated the church not light it in white light as was planned. Sad. The Church is a modified Romanesque basilica with art deco carving and several windows, including the rose or wheel window designed by Wirt Clinton Roland. The ornamental iron and metal work is outstand as are the stations of the cross. Sadly the interior limestone trim and columns was painted a few years back but the parish is well attended and in no danger of closing. Windows by Franz Mayer of Munich, Detroit Stained Glass Co and Willett Studios of Philadelphia. The Black Christ mural in the apse still impresses.

I think the tall church Second Ebenezer Church really makes a statement. You can see the tip of it when driving on I-75 near 6 mile.
    Name:  se.jpg
Views: 3075
Size:  7.5 KB

Another tall church,
    St Josaphat Catholic Church, Detroit,
    Built in 1900

Name:  stjosephat1.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  18.6 KB
    "The St. Josaphat Story begins in 1870 when a handful of Poles decided that a Polish-speaking parish was needed to serve their religious interests. Thus was born St. Albertus Parish. Two years later St. Casimir Parish arose on the west side. The St. Josaphat story now jumps to 1889. The number of Poles in Detroit is so large that St. Albertus is rebuilt but even its large edifice is not large enough for 4,000 families. In June of 1889, Bishop Foley asked Rev. Casimir Rochowski to organize another Polish parish; and as Mr. Zoltowski donated 12 lots on Freemont for the project, the parish began. Building commenced quickly with initial structures soon expanded under the second pastor Rev. Anthony Leks. On October 6, 1889 the cornerstone was blessed and on February 2, 1890 the church itself was blessed. [[Quoted from http://creativegene.blogspot.com)

I think the tall church Second Ebenezer Church really makes a statement. You can see the tip of it when driving on I-75 near 6 mile.
    Name:  se.jpg
Views: 3075
Size:  7.5 KB
    There are plenty of churches in Detroit along with tall ones just like every most cities. Many of the churches shown here have been discussed EXTENSIVELY. Do you research and give us something we don't know!!
    Attached Images Attached Images                                            

Some more well discussed churches.

So what is your point?

@p68rrh51 have you been smoking?
    My thread was to recognize the taller churches, only.
    Tall in my mind is 3 stories or more and in most instances the steeple makes them so.
    The church off Chene and I-94 is very tall, I don't know the name.

Another tall church,
    St Josaphat Catholic Church, Detroit,
    Built in 1900

Name:  stjosephat1.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  18.6 KB
    "The St. Josaphat Story begins in 1870 when a handful of Poles decided that a Polish-speaking parish was needed to serve their religious interests. Thus was born St. Albertus Parish. Two years later St. Casimir Parish arose on the west side. The St. Josaphat story now jumps to 1889. The number of Poles in Detroit is so large that St. Albertus is rebuilt but even its large edifice is not large enough for 4,000 families. In June of 1889, Bishop Foley asked Rev. Casimir Rochowski to organize another Polish parish; and as Mr. Zoltowski donated 12 lots on Freemont for the project, the parish began. Building commenced quickly with initial structures soon expanded under the second pastor Rev. Anthony Leks. On October 6, 1889 the cornerstone was blessed and on February 2, 1890 the church itself was blessed. [[Quoted from http://creativegene.blogspot.com)
    BORING!!! Tell us something we don't know like the church was actually dedicated on August 5 1901, not built in 1900.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-18-12 at 10:36 PM.

@p68rrh51 have you been smoking?
    My thread was to recognize the taller churches, only.
    Tall in my mind is 3 stories or more and in most instances the steeple makes them so.
    The church off Chene and I-94 is very tall, I don't know the name.
    Just hijacking your thread. But then at least I took most of the images myself.
    The Church's name is St. Stanislaus, and everyone else on this forum knows the name of the church!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-18-12 at 10:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast