Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Five-Hour Energy Witch-hunt

Caught this story on the news last night...I think Channel 4, our most-commonly watched news source.

They say 13 deaths can be attributed to Five Hour Energy over four years. I don't know their sales figures, but remember from an earlier article that they are STUPENDOUS.

What this reads to certain litigation attorneys is unlimitedly deep pockets.

Fuckers are trying to pick 'em clean. I hate litigation attorneys who create problems they can profit from.

IF 5-Hour Energy were a health problem, MANY MANY MANY more people would be dying. They sell these wee bottles by the pallet-load at CostCo.

I don't consume 'energy drinks', but see this as an obvious attack. I'm still wondering what Taurine truly is...knowing how the scientists name things, I guess it at least originally was from bull piss. Because at least Red Bull and the rest of 'em taste tainted.

But the Five-Hour Energy guy got me taking more Vitamin B supplements, which have done wonders for me...

First

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I don't consume 'energy drinks'
    Then

Because at least Red Bull and the rest of 'em taste tainted.
    How you know what they taste like? Just razzing you Gannon. Cheers.

Heh. Just because I don't drink them now, doesn't mean I haven't tried them.

I think I've had Red Bull three times, but the first was in their trailer at MIS during a full tour before a race. I couldn't skip tasting the sponsor's fare.

I tried a Monster once. ugh. Needed to find out what my Corktown cousin found so addicting in it.

Not sure if I even ingested a Five Hour yet...but I've read up on it and the fellow behind the idea. I like him, since he's reportedly doing good around Detroit with his profits.

Even though I'm doubtful about the source of Taurine...and that seems to be in EVERY recipe of these drinks...I know a ton of people who drink this stuff reguarly, including one fellow in Colorado with the most amazing can collection.

But, thanks for being a literalist...I cannot miss a beat on these posts, huh?! I at least edited out when I said they tasted like piss...since I couldn't prove it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; November-15-12 at 01:16 PM.

Gannon, I moved this to Discuss Detroit because this is a Detroit story. The company and its remarkable owner are based in Farmington Hills and
    5-Hour Energy owner Manoj Bhargava is the richest Indian in US.

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds and if there is something beyond the caffeine that comes into play. I doubt if it will.

He has also committed to giving 90% of his earnings to charity.

In fact, he says he spent 12 years of his life shuffling between monasteries in India and learning to still his mind. He still spends an hour everyday in contemplative silence.

And he is known for his frugal lifestyle and humble behaviour. Dressed in a simple kurta-pajama, Bhargava lives up to this reputation.

He thinks businesses in India give too much importance to education and mostly hire from top institutions. "It's like hiring theoretical plumbers! None of us are too impressed by MBAs," he says.

Bhargava says he abides by Mark Twain's quote: "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."

He says 90% of what he earns will go into doing charity in India. "I have made a lot of money in the West...[[and) I do not believe in much of personal consumption," he says. He has set up a non-profit organisation, Hans Foundation, for charity work.

90% return to India, where poverty is defined for the entire world. Not bad.

Thanks for the bump, Lowell.

I laughed deep and loud at his comment about hiring theoretical plumbers. He helps explain the disturbing troubles of our current system in one quick flip.

Yet another witch hunt against fun.

“Nobody moves on purpose to Detroit,” he says.

H-m-m-n-n.

They say 13 deaths can be attributed to Five Hour Energy over four years. I don't know their sales figures, but remember from an earlier article that they are STUPENDOUS.
    There has been a series of articles in the New York Times blasting energy drinks. Someone is on a crusade over there. They were talking about it on a science podcast I listen to. Basically, most of them are like drinking a couple cups of coffee and taking a couple vitamins.

Most people get into trouble mixing them with alcohol and downing a dozen of them. In that case, the energy drink isn't doing most of the damage, but it isn't usually news when someone drinks a fifth of Absolut and nearly dies. Throw in an energy drink and it's in the New York Times as a public menace.

Whenever I hear someone order Red Bull & Absolut my brain curdles a bit.

I'm sure this litigious fellow is on top of this threat to his empire. He seems to enjoy killing off the competition, when he basically stole the idea.

I'm not so sure I still like the guy.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-15-12 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    ... Basically, most of them are like drinking a couple cups of coffee and taking a couple vitamins....
    Funny you should post that, because that's pretty much my opinion of them. I laugh every time I see someone drink one of those, knowing they spent $5 on it. Is there really a reason why these drinks are any better than taking caffeine and vitamins? Maybe I'm proving my ignorance, but I really don't see any difference. I looked at the ingredients, and from what I remember it was mainly caffeine and vitamins.

This litigiousness regarding energy supplements seemed to gather steam after states began successfully enacting legislation banning alcohol/energy combo drinks. Think Juice and Fourloko.

Of course, that hasn't stopped young people from getting smashed on the cheap.

Think GO GO juice!

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/0...h-go-go-juice/

Now that is scary!

I wouldn't mind giving away 90% of my income if that meant I'd still retain a net of 30 million annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Think GO GO juice!

Now that is scary!
    Gosh...I'd avoided knowing Honey Boo-boo's real name until now. Thanks! That mother should be flogged, but it seems she's doing it to herself just as much. ugh

All this comparison to coffee is ill-founded. Coffee doesn't taste like sweet tarts and you generally don't mix it with booze.

Five Hour Energy is a problem because it is so concentrated, much like hard liquor. As it is essentially impossible to get alcohol poisoning from beer you're not going to get in trouble with coffee without getting sick first. You can easily take a few "shots" of what five hour energy is and get real sick real fast.

I take my "energy drinks" in the form of a 5am workout and a cup of strong, black coffee. Energy drinks and energy shots are for pussies.

I refuse to drink that stuff! Never have. Sometimes it's the delivery of caffeine, that is to say what it is mixed in that can get my jittery and jammed up. Like drinking Mountain Dew! Can't drink it. But I can drink a Coke or Pepsi!

That's just horrid. Who'd put their young child on such a concoction? STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Think GO GO juice!

Now that is scary!

Speed kills. Simple as that.
    True clarity occurs when one slows down their body and mind to be more receptive-not being fly-eyed and gnat-brained. Just a word to the wise for those who put a value on intelligence and mental clarity.

Besides the guy behind this poison is well connected to certain political parties. http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/...r-nobody-knowsJust like many cults [[and cult apologists), phony Religious Right Evangelicalism, pyramid schemes, media monopolies, Coors Beer, and Frakking destroying our lives have their ties to these guys.

A recent Family Guy depicted a disgusting scene where Peter gives Stewie some "boost juice" for his performance enhancement [[http://www.fox.com/watch/599081027822/7684301568between 12:42 & 13:54). The episode depicts Stewie as a "Cokehead" Christian/Relapse hypocrite in the end.

I've never tried Five Hour or Red Bull. I've smelled them before, and they smell bad to me.

A few years ago I cut caffeine out, and I've been rather happy since.

It is amazing how strong the feelings are that people have about energy drinks.

It's caffeine, sugar and b vitamins basically. What's the problem?

If you don't like it don't drink it.

Alcohol kills tons of people. Tylenol kills tons of people. Cars kill tons of people. Energy drinks kill a few.

We can't ban everything. Let people do what they want. Thanks

5-hr energy and red bull are child's play when it comes to tons of the pre-workout caffeine supplements that many take prior to lifting...stuff makes you feel real weird

http://www.singledadfitdad.com/the-d...t-supplements/

"For example, a 8.4 oz. can of Red Bull has 80mg of caffeine, which is about the same as a cup of coffee and twice as much as a 12 oz. Coke. A scoop of C4 Extreme has 135mg. Keep in mind that many people [[including me) take 2 scoops before a workout. That’s a shit ton of caffeine."

Last edited by hybridy; January-22-16 at 10:55 AM.

So what they're saying is,... they think 5-Hour Energy is 1 / 615 as dangerous as Bayer Aspirin?

[[Roughly 2,000 adults die each year in the USA from taking a single dose of aspirin as directed).

No witch hunt hah! But for me forget the weird and EXPENSIVE drinks in access. I'll still do a pop and coffee once in a while but lately doing more home made iced teas, brewed off the stove.

Add a minimal of raw sugar [[or no sugar if you can do that), put in a sippy top container, add lemon, refrigerate and you've got a low priced hydration drink, if not so good for the 'energy jolt' the chemical can things claim to deliver.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-16 at 09:34 AM.

I don't see this as a witch hunt.

If we don't scrutinize everything and punish the appropriate parties as necessary to set an example, then people will believe they can get away with all sorts of negative actions that harms others.

Now if we find out this is all being blown out of proportion after a thorough scrutinization, then so be it.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-24-16 at 09:58 AM.

caffeine is a buzz kill for me....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast