Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Grand Rapids is really making a go of it.

I haven't been to G.R. in over a decade and never had any interest in the city at all. But over the past couple of years, they've done a pretty good job of marketing themselves to the world. This article in the NYT's is fairly decent and you can see they're definitely taking notes from Detroit's success. They're currently building an outdoor produce market. It's good to see all of Michigan do well but it's pretty special to see Detroit being used as an Ideal urban model for other cities.

Detroit is on the right track no matter the naysayers!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/re...rowth.html?hpw

I love Grand Rapids!!!! That's my hometown, born & raised! They have always said that one day, Grand Rapids would become the largest city in the state. How things are dying in Detroit, this may come to life within the next few years. The city is simply beautiful, full of life. The city is "CLEAN" and they don't have people standing at every intersection begging for money! GO AHEAD GR!!! YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!! My family didn't want to me to move to Detroit, but I did because of my job. But, as soon as an opening comes in GR, "I'M OUT OF HERE!!!!"

The City of Grand Rapids itself is not the picture perfect world you seem to portray it. There is a lot of blight and some downright scary parts of it. Even its suburban areas around 28th street seem to be getting junky.

I would take Downtown Detroit's retail environment over GR's any day of the week. There is nothing along Monroe Street or Division but empty storefronts an an occasional water hole.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The City of Grand Rapids itself is not the picture perfect world you seem to portray it. There is a lot of blight and some downright scary parts of it. Even its suburban areas around 28th street seem to be getting junky.

I would take Downtown Detroit's retail environment over GR's any day of the week. There is nothing along Monroe Street or Division but empty storefronts an an occasional water hole.
    Are you sure you've been there?

Quote Originally Posted by Signman View Post
    Are you sure you've been there?
    Seriously. I go there several times a year to visit my family and have no idea of what DP is talking about. Sure there are "scary" parts [[I have lived in a few of these neighborhoods) but even at its worst it looks like some of the more stable areas of Detroit. If you are talking about retail, then I think you are seeing the problem the wrong way. In Detroit the retail is mostly downtown. In GR they have retail downtown but it is also scattered throughout different parts of the city. If you prefer to have all your retail in one spot, then cool. I think it is better to spread it out and help revitalize formerly depressed areas [[See Wealthy Street as an example).

I've never seen this Wealthy Street. I've seen downtown, Division and 28th. Not exactly utopia.

Love the support some Detroiters give but GR is a more livable city. Simple truth.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Love the support some Detroiters give but GR is a more livable city. Simple truth.
    I never said it wasn't but to assert that its going to be bigger than Detroit one day is a bit much.

I agree. Not in our lifetime.

Detroit [[or Metro Detroit) will always be the population and economic center of Michigan.

It's the only place in the state that has the truly necessary infrastructure in place to be a major city/region.

Once you get out of downtown Grand Rapids, you're essentially back into the woods and farms.