Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default East Side, West Side? Help Channel 4 Decide!

Whoa.

This is proof they don't have editors, or the one[[s) they employ are either seriously over-worked and/or are not fully doing their jobs.

Detroit police officer, suspect shot on city's east side

DETROIT - A Detroit police officer was shot Wednesday afternoon on the city's west side.

The officer was shot in his back after pursuing a suspect who also was shot at East Grand Boulevard and Mack Avenue, near Swanson Funeral Home.

The suspect was shot at the funeral home. Police have him in custody.

The officer's condition is not known. He was being taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital.

A source has told Local 4 the suspect was being chased because he is wanted for a different shooting.
    Hope the officer is fine. Shot in the back, this suspect may have a difficult time while in custody. Cops might go eastside on 'im.

whoops! already been fixed, the editor has a reprieve!

It's not just channel 4 - none of the newscasters seem to know where anything is located in the City. I hear breaking news in Southwest Detroit - only to learn it was near Mt. Sinai Hospital - They should all have to ride around in those
    news trucks and learn the different boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    It's not just channel 4 - none of the newscasters seem to know where anything is located in the City. I hear breaking news in Southwest Detroit - only to learn it was near Mt. Sinai Hospital - They should all have to ride around in those
    news trucks and learn the different boundaries.
    Not surprised at all, especially when 98% of the talent lives in the suburbs and they only come downtown for a sports games or for work.

I blame Smart Phones and GPS units.

Nobody seems to know anything these days.

I expect it to get worse.

I was just happy they caught this one in the minute it took to see it and post! It might've been less than that...heh...since I had to wait for the forum to accept my correction.

Shollin Guest

Doesn't Mack intersect Grand Boulevard on the east and west side? or don't they call mack something different on the west side?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Doesn't Mack intersect Grand Boulevard on the east and west side? or don't they call mack something different on the west side?
    Mack becomes Martin Luther King Boulevard at Woodward, continuing the North American tradition of naming a cross-street in the worst area of any city after the civil rights leader. At some point, it used to be called Myrtle as well, if memory serves me right.

It ends where the Grand Boulevard intersects it, just west of I-96...about a block north of Michigan Avenue.

Yeah, it bothers me sometimes as well when I hear reporters give the wrong geographical location and also call the wrong street names.

I've even heard reporters reporting from Joy Road or Tireman and referring to it as "southwest Detroit."
    One reporter was reporting from the New Center Central District police precinct on Woodward and Grand Blvd. and ended his story by saying "reporting live from Woodward and Grand in downtown Detroit..."

Which leads me to one of my most annoying complaints [[at least to me); reporters referring to "Grand Boulevard" as "Grand Street." At first this would seem insignificant, if it wasn't for the fact that there is a Grand Street in Detroit that runs parallel to Grand Blvd about 2-½ miles or so to the north, just north of Davison. Sure one could argue that Woodward and Grand is actually in Highland Park, but Grand Street continues westward into Detroit to Livernois, crossing many of the same streets in Detroit as W. Grand Blvd., including Rosa Parks, 14th, Linwood, Lawton, and Dexter [[among a few others).

There was a story earlier in the year where the reporter said, Linwood and Grand. When I first heard the story I thought it was the location to the north then discovering later it was on W. Grand Blvd. There's a reason why the street sign reads; "W. Grand Blvd."

What if there was some type of emergency evacuation and the reporter gave out this misinformation? These stations should require their reporters to at least get somewhat familiar with the local geography or the area's cardinal direction points.