Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Barns

Default Red Barns

I know of one former Red Barn still standing, on Jefferson. Are there others?

I remember preferring Red Barn to McDonald's, because, back in the 60's, McDonald's practically refused to make any modifications to their burgers, while Red Barn would. We usually went to the one on Woodward in Highland Park.

Actually, The Red Barn on Jefferson has been demolished and it now a Legends Coney Island. However, they're still using a portion of the original "Red Barn Restaurant" sign.

Now the other day when headed to the Hardees on 9 mile & John R, I saw a barn-shpaed restaurant on the west-side of John R between I-75 and 8 Mile. I'm not sure if that was a former Red Barn location [[but it's possible).

I vaguely remember as a child my parents taking us to the Red Barn on Eight Mile off of Berg [[just west of Telegraph). Great chicken if memory serves me correctly.

Southeast corner of Harper and 9 Mile.

Michigan at Addison NE corner, The International Car dealer building are the remains of a Redbarn.

When the hungrys hit, when the hungrys hit, hit the redbarn!
    Last edited by karl jr.; June-27-09 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Southeast corner of Harper and 9 Mile.
    Now known as The Athenian Shish-Kabob. Great Greek food!

I think that 8 Mile Red Barn was at 8 and Lahser - indeed east of Berg. It was on the southeast corner. When I lived at 7 and Lahser in the 70's, the building was there. But it was a different business.

There is a building on 12 mile before Dequinder on the South side that looks like it was a Red Barn.

The Starbucks on Woodward at Twelve Mile is in an old Red Barn location.

There was one on Telegraph in Taylor, too...but cannot remember the cross-street...south of I-94.

The Westland Town party store on Wayne Rd north of Ford was a Red Barn.As for the Taylor location I belive that became the Red Baron arcade, which has now been redone to something else.

"When the hungries hit, when the hungries hit, HIT the red Barn"

Went to one on Michigan Ave. near Central. Became a used car lot I think. You could see it's distinct red roof traveling on I-94.

http://www.marlowheights60sand70s.co.../red_barn.html

Funny, our parents took us to the same place - but by that time it had become the Kaori Bana - a sushi place whose name literally meant... Red Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I vaguely remember as a child my parents taking us to the Red Barn on Eight Mile off of Berg [[just west of Telegraph). Great chicken if memory serves me correctly.

I used to LOVE Red Barn hamburgers as a kid. We used to go to the one on Woodward in HP after coming from the Highland Park Y. We'd spend our bus fare on burgers and walk home instead. Good times.

Hate to say it, but before I moved up the ladder to McDonald's, I worked at the Red Barn on Telegraph between Ecorse and Wick in Taylor. Big Barneys, Barnbusters and all..... The building is still there I think. Some sort of arcade.

Telegraph and Elizabeth Lake Road, southeast corner. The building is still there, I think it's some kind of a cell phone store now, or maybe a party store.

9mile&seneca Guest

Go to barnbuster.com

diver1369 Guest

There was a Red Barn in the New Center area on W. Grand Blvd. and Second in '69-early 70s. It was nothing to write home about. Check out the new documentary titled Food Inc to see what you've been eating. That's something to write home about.

Check out link at http://www.foodincmovie.com/
    Last edited by diver1369; June-28-09 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks, Carman, for nailing those cross-streets!

Wasn't the one on Michigan Avenue at Lonyo? We used to see it every day driving my father to Fleetwood...

Gannon,

Michigan and Addison,about 1/4 mile west of Lonyo

There was one located on 8 mile, 2 blks east of Meyers, when I was growing up. I lived on Manor St a couple of blocks away. They torn it down in the mid 70's and it s US Ice house on the location now.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Actually, The Red Barn on Jefferson has been demolished and it now a Legends Coney Island. However, they're still using a portion of the original "Red Barn Restaurant" sign.

Now the other day when headed to the Hardees on 9 mile & John R, I saw a barn-shpaed restaurant on the west-side of John R between I-75 and 8 Mile. I'm not sure if that was a former Red Barn location [[but it's possible).
    That would be the Dairy Park ice cream shop. It's been there since the early 60s.

Didn't they have the "belly buster" burger?
    How about Big Chef or Henrys?

I think there was one at 13 & Gratiot, right by the old Gratiot Drive-In, and a "Lum's" also.

I worked at the location by Northland in 1970. Can't recall where it was exactly.

Gratiot and Whittier too. North of Whittier as I recall on the west side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast