Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fireflies in the front yard

What a delight to watch my neighbor's kids chasing fireflies from my front porch, and trying to imagine how it would feel again to have that innocence and sense of wonderment again.

Damn, growing up sometimes just sucks.

ccbatson Guest

get a jar and catch a few...never too old.

We know what you did to your innocence, Jams, but what do you think is wrong with your sense of wonderment?

I'm with Cc on this one...as long as no fireflies are injured during this endeavor.

We live in rural west central Minnesota now, and a couple of nights ago, I picked up my grandchildren and brought them out into the country to our farm. As we came up the long driveway, there were hundreds of fireflies blinking. I turned off the car lights and we just sat there and enjoyed them for a while. The kids are 3 and 4 and were blown away by the "blinky bugs" as they called them later. I call them "lightning bugs" most of the time, but I think I like their "blinky bugs" better, lol. If the mosquitoes hadn't been so thick, I'd have gotten the kids' butterfly net and tried to catch a few to put in a jar for a night so they could watch them as they fell asleep.

Nice euphemism Grumpy, but I understand your code-speak.

They are NOT "going asleep'! [[heh, firefly murderer...possibly serial, better keep an eye on the likes of you...)

We must be careful not to piss them off...if they swarm one could possibly become toxic with organic phosphors!

As children, we used to put them in jars, too. Then one of the older kids came up with the idea of smearing them on his face, like "war paint". We terrorized the neighborhood [[and fireflies) that night!

As a kid, my uncle showed me how to remove their butts and put them on your finger to wear like a ring. They stayed lit for a while.

Nice rememory, Jams. Thanks for the reminder.

ccbatson Guest

Just don't let Obama get near them Gannon.

May those who've NEVER smacked a fly or mosquito be the ONLY ones who cast stones at our MFIC for doing the same.

I'm sure you've never killed a fly. Right?

If you have, then kindly shut the feck up.

Lorax Guest

Maybe Batts is just jealous of Obama- he killed for sport, then threw away such a tasty morsel! Aren't flies one of the food staples for bats?

Guess a thread about the simple innocence of children just doing what children do is too much for some.

Let my dog in one night, she had something in her mouth glowing green. My first thought was those glow sticks the ravers put in their mouths. After further inspection she had a fire fly stuck between her teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    We know what you did to your innocence, Jams, but what do you think is wrong with your sense of wonderment?
    The true question is Why is wondering considered a waste of time?

I wonder...

I'ld call you names but prissy minds would misunderstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Let my dog in one night, she had something in her mouth glowing green. My first thought was those glow sticks the ravers put in their mouths. After further inspection she had a fire fly stuck between her teeth.
    LOL Good story! Reminds me years ago when one of our dogs came in the house & barfed onto the floor...well, we thought he barfed...turned out he had a live toad in his mouth & it jumped out when he opened it! My wife & daughters screamed when it started hopping around. I have to say it caught me off guard, but I grabbed the little guy then released him into one of the mulch beds outside.
    As a youngster, it was a big thing to see how many fireflies you could catch in a jar then watch it "glow". After a while we'd let them out & start over. We originally wanted to keep them but one of the older kids said since we didn't punch air holes in the lids, the fireflies would die. Besides half the fun was chasing them around.

Gannon - what does MFIC stand for? I have an idea, but would appreciate verification.

I will let Gannon explain, Think CAY. Love watchin them Lightning Bugs. This time of year your hopefully at the point were the garden is in and you can sit and watch them buggers fly round your yard.

Exactly, I wanted to inject some brevity into my angry reply to this broken record of ours.

Coleman Andrew Young often referred to himself as the MotherFuckerInCharge.

Reportedly he had a plaque with that phrase on it at the City/County building, somewhere in his office...maybe ON his desk.

Obama be that now...at least nationally. Some would say globally, but I think we're about to learn some lessons about that sort of boasting.

GOL- "blinky bugs" has now entered my lexicon, give a big thanx to those grandchildren of yours. I love how kids re-purpose words and concepts into new forms that become standards within a family's inner circle. I think an entire thread could be crafted from just those invented words.
    Last edited by gnome; June-29-09 at 10:46 AM.

Gannon - thanks for verifying my suspicion.

I once drove through a swarm of fireflies. when I parked and shut off the lights, the car looked like a planetarium

ccbatson Guest

I, and my dogs, love to hunt and kill flies and various other bugs. I was playing devil's advocate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast