Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mike Duggan interview regarding why he thinks he should be Mayor.

Doesn't say anything to give me pause yet. I agree with some of what he says [[like keepin Warren Evans, or at least his tactics.)

DD: When Mayor Bing came into office and, I think, Kilpatrick and Archer before him, they kind of came into office with this almost savior aura. Do you worry about having to manage expectations if you’re elected?
    MD: No, I expect to raise expectations. I don’t know about the whole savior thing. I’m a person who recruits a team. When I came into the Detroit Medical Center I didn’t have a hospital background, but I recruited a very talented group of leaders. I’m confident I could recruit a very talented group of leaders who could turn the city administration around.
    You know, when I came into DMC, DMC had lost $500 million in five years and was six months away from running out of cash. We didn’t have time for this nonsense of three-year plans and five-year plans. We would’ve been out of business.
    So, when I hear conversations about “it’s harder than I thought,” “it’s going to take longer than I thought,” “people have to be very patient,” it just makes me very angry. We don’t have that kind of time in the city, and there’s no reason we can make very quick improvements in the police department and response time and the affect on the violence. There’s no reason we can’t make quick improvements getting the streetlights to work and in dealing with abandoned houses—certainly, targeting areas, and moving quickly and then progressing from area to area.
    People who don’t have high expectations of me…they shouldn’t be voting for me.
    As a candidate he kills the shit out of Bing's sorry ass.

Duggan's machine cronies looted Wayne County; now they're hoping they can pick off the carcass of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Duggan's machine cronies looted Wayne County; now they're hoping they can pick off the carcass of Detroit.
    I'm reminded of this blog article....
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/1154

JVB Guest

Duggan is a crook. I hope the people of Detroit see though his BS.

DD: With DDOT specifically what needs to be done that hasn’t been done?MD: I know exactly what needs to be done. At SMART we had the most expensive maintenance operation in the country—there were national benchmarks—and we had continual breakdowns. The riders were very angry and looking for other forms of transportation. You have than happening in the city today. People are taking cabs they can’t afford because they can’t rely on the buses.
    I went into the [SMART] garages with the UAW mechanics and they had, I’m going to say, 15 different job classifications from transmission to steering to oil change and the like. We structured a deal for a single general mechanic classification, so everybody could work as teams to repair things and I gave them a two-year no-layoff commitment. Two years later we had one of the most efficient garages in America and all the jobs were protected.
    That kind of cooperation needs to be done. The last time I looked at DDOT, they had the old inefficient structure. It’s not something where you stick a gun to somebody’s head and threaten them. You sit down together and say ok—nobody knows the inefficiencies of city government more than the workers doing the jobs. They know exactly what’s wrong. What they haven’t been shown is the way out of it. If we can show people how they benefit on the upside when you help us redesign the service, you can get people to cooperate.
    Any opinions on this? Did he actually work with the UAW and get a great result for all?

That said, I still don't trust the Irish political family of our area -- MacNamara, Duggan, Kilpatrick...

But I'm open to hearing if he's actually competent.