Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit apartment project stirs debate [[Harbortown)

A proposed apartment building near an existing Detroit riverfront property has stirred a debate about development in a city with a shortage of downtown rental space.

Arkan Jonna is the developer of the proposed Harbortown Riverside Apartments, a five-story riverfront apartment building within the existing Harbortown complex. The 135- to 145-unit apartment building will be built on land that was earmarked for further development, but some residents complain that the aesthetics and rental nature of the development will diminish property values already decimated during the housing crisis.

"My impression of the proposed construction in Harbortown is it is ugly, unsightly at best," said Harbortown resident Catherine Nierle, president of the Great Lakes Tower Condominium Association.

"The footprint of the building, the low-quality building materials, the overall design of the building surrounded by 250-plus surface parking spaces and the elimination of green space are completely out of harmony with the existing community and structures in Harbortown and along the RiverWalk."

"It will block my view"
    "It will bring undesirables into the neighborhood"
    "Think of the Children!"

NIMBY at its finest.

You can buy a Harbortown apartment for almost nothing. Most of the units are bank-owned.

Given this fact, why is anyone proposing even more housing in that location? It will destroy what little value remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You can buy a Harbortown apartment for almost nothing. Most of the units are bank-owned.

Given this fact, why is anyone proposing even more housing in that location? It will destroy what little value remains.
    That was my thought. Is there anything to stop an investor from buying up units and renting them out? Why spend the money on new construction?

At the very least, I would like to see a process like the one used in Seattle [[my daughter's adopted city), described here. They have an open "design review" process where neighbors and others have input into concerns about how a development's design will impact the community. I've also noticed that the signs announcing "proposed zoning change" are much more detailed than the ones we use. Our signs basically say-- there's going to be a hearing about changing the zoning for this parcel. Period. As for the linked article, I found the comment section to be really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Is there anything to stop an investor from buying up units and renting them out?
    I would guess there's something prohibiting that in the by-laws of the condo association.

Posted Association Fees of $500 per month would be more then most mortgage payments. Anyone have experience living at these properties?