Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Large hill at Hamlin and Dequindre

Having some 4x4 fun this past weekend I took the truck atop an unusually large hill north of Hamlin and West of Dequindre. Anybody know the history? Is this a covered up landfill?

Its an ancient indian burial ground. Nice work Luke Duke!

Seriously?! It's pretty big to be that, my folks took me to the burial mounds near Grand Rapids when I was a kid and they were smaller and more numerously grouped.

What is the hill at the foot of the Dequindre Cut?

wardwood, that sounds about right, thanks!

Sorry Country I was kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    What is the hill at the foot of the Dequindre Cut?
    That is the final resting place of a boat which was built in the Globe shipworks there.

Don't have a link, you'll just have to trust me on this one!

That whole area that borders Shelby Twp. and Rochester Hills bounded by Auburn, Ryan, Dequindre, and 23 Mile Rd is home to numerous Superfund sites. It's hilly though because its the southern end of the glacial moraine that is north of there that angles NE from the Irish Hills to the middle of Northern Macomb County.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    That whole area that borders Shelby Twp. and Rochester Hills bounded by Auburn, Ryan, Dequindre, and 23 Mile Rd is home to numerous Superfund sites. It's hilly though because its the southern end of the glacial moraine that is north of there that angles NE from the Irish Hills to the middle of Northern Macomb County.
    The top of the landfill gave me a nice vantage point of the whole area. To the east were gun shots from the local rifle club. I noticed lots of beer cans up there so it's a popular party spot for local teens. I did not want to stick around and have to worry about a trespassing or illegal dumping charge. I see that lots of people still like to use these areas as if they still were an active garbage dump to get rid of tires, furniture and shingles.

There is an active garbage site there still. Just across from the gun range there is a street [[can't remember the name) that heads west. You can see the entrance to the landfill. Like was mentioned earlier, there are a bunch of superfund sites in that area. I grew up in Shelby Twp, about 2 miles north of there. We used to ride our 4 wheelers through there until we found out how contaminated it was. The landfill at 23 & Dequindre has buried toxic waste drums as well as open pools of waste that come up in the marsh where the old train tracks used to run through the site. I couldn't imagine living across 23 in those houses with the sprawling pond and swimming in that water in the summer. No way in hell.

I also grew up in Shelby, 25 and Jewell here. My Dad and I have always said that too! We don't know how people can live that close to a Superfund site! That whole Southwest section of the township is MUCH different from the rest.

I never knew that ground water contamination could limit itself to a 1.5 mile radius. Fascinating!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    There is an active garbage site there still. Just across from the gun range there is a street [[can't remember the name) that heads west. You can see the entrance to the landfill. Like was mentioned earlier, there are a bunch of superfund sites in that area. I grew up in Shelby Twp, about 2 miles north of there. We used to ride our 4 wheelers through there until we found out how contaminated it was. The landfill at 23 & Dequindre has buried toxic waste drums as well as open pools of waste that come up in the marsh where the old train tracks used to run through the site. I couldn't imagine living across 23 in those houses with the sprawling pond and swimming in that water in the summer. No way in hell.
    That is School rd. The active site is SOCCRA and it's north of School, the mound I climbed is south of School.