Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Crains: Dan Gilbert to Roll Out Retail Plan

Looks like this will be happening over the next several weeks. Also, MooseJaw downtown has had excellent sales numbers so far.

Detroit's best-kept retail secret soon may not be a secret at all.

Dan Gilbert's Rock Ventures LLC is nearing completion of its retail plan for Detroit and is expected to begin releasing elements of it -- if not the entire plan -- in the next couple of weeks.

Local developers and architects are involved in the plan, which will create space in the buildings to be used by a blend of national retailers and local boutique shops and be designed to draw shoppers from across metro Detroit.

The plan is likely to involve the properties thatQuicken Loans Inc. founder Gilbert owns or controls near Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius, including frontage on the east side of Woodward Avenue and the former Hudson's lot north of Compuware Corp. headquarters.

Renderings of the retail concept -- shown by Gilbert at multiple public appearances -- include store-fronts for national retailers such as Apple and other uses such as a walkup grocery store. The plan will incorporate some of the alley space behind the buildings along Woodward Avenue, Gilbert said at Crain's Idea conference in March.

He described the retail strategy as part of a "big bang" development plan he has for Detroit. The plan calls for bringing retail and residents to the buildings he has purchased and others downtown at the same time.

Gilbert said he hoped to create the larger plan before signing leases with retailers.

Sources say Gilbert has engaged a New York firm to complete a study that includes an inventory of available retail space in the central business district. Any announcements on the retail strategy are a couple of weeks off, said Paula Silver, vice president of communications for Quicken Loans.

But Rock and its real estate development arm, Bedrock Real Estate Services, are already making retail moves in the downtown area.

The two this month began work on a new parking garage in Detroit's central business district that will include 33,000 square feet of ground-floor retail.

The 535,000-square-foot, "Z-shaped" retail and parking development, which will zigzag from the corner of Broadway and East Grand River Avenue to the corner of Library Street and Gratiot Avenue, is expected to be completed by December 2013. Southfield-based Neumann/Smith Architecture is architect on the parking project, and Rich & Associates Inc. in Southfield is consulting on the structure's design.Colasanti Construction Services Inc./Sachse Construction, a joint venture of Detroit-based Colasanti and Birmingham-based Sachse, are the construction managers.

Bedrock is also bringing temporary pop-up stores to Woodward for the holidays. It recruited Madison Heights-based outerwear retailer Moosejaw Mountaineering and Backcountry Travel Inc. to open a pop-up store at 1275 Woodward Ave.

And it played a role in bringing the Somerset Collection CityLoft, a pop-up with a variety of merchandise from the upscale Troy mall, back to Woodward for the holidays after its success the past two summers and during the 2011 holiday season. This season's stores will include retailers like Pottery Barn and Eddie Bauer plus local artists.

Other holiday popups are also in the works for the 1200 block of Woodward, Silver said. Taking dedicated space on the same block is an expanded Detroit Shoppe, plus trolleys, holiday entertainment, and holiday lights.

Bedrock and Gilbert are putting together attractive deals that take some of the risk out of coming downtown, said Moosejaw CEO Eoin Comerford.

Moosejaw, which opened in early November for a Thursday-Sunday run through Dec. 22, had an "incredible" first weekend, he said.

In comparison to Moosejaw's three new stores in Natick, Mass.; Boulder, Colo.; and Kansas City, "our little popup store in Detroit actually had the best sales last week of all the new stores in only three days, and it's half the size."

"If we continue to see those kinds of results, we'll definitely make it permanent," Comerford said.

Sherri Welch:
    [COLOR=#49535A !important]
    [COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR][COLOR=#49535A !important]
    [COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#49535A !important]
    [COLOR=#49535A !important][[313) 446-1694[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    , swelch@crain.com. Twitter: @sherriwelch

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Looks like this will be happening over the next several weeks. Also, MooseJaw downtown has had excellent sales numbers so far.

Detroit's best-kept retail secret soon may not be a secret at all.

Dan Gilbert's Rock Ventures LLC is nearing completion of its retail plan for Detroit and is expected to begin releasing elements of it -- if not the entire plan -- in the next couple of weeks.

Local developers and architects are involved in the plan, which will create space in the buildings to be used by a blend of national retailers and local boutique shops and be designed to draw shoppers from across metro Detroit.

The plan is likely to involve the properties thatQuicken Loans Inc. founder Gilbert owns or controls near Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius, including frontage on the east side of Woodward Avenue and the former Hudson's lot north of Compuware Corp. headquarters.

Renderings of the retail concept -- shown by Gilbert at multiple public appearances -- include store-fronts for national retailers such as Apple and other uses such as a walkup grocery store. The plan will incorporate some of the alley space behind the buildings along Woodward Avenue, Gilbert said at Crain's Idea conference in March.

He described the retail strategy as part of a "big bang" development plan he has for Detroit. The plan calls for bringing retail and residents to the buildings he has purchased and others downtown at the same time.

Gilbert said he hoped to create the larger plan before signing leases with retailers.

Sources say Gilbert has engaged a New York firm to complete a study that includes an inventory of available retail space in the central business district. Any announcements on the retail strategy are a couple of weeks off, said Paula Silver, vice president of communications for Quicken Loans.

But Rock and its real estate development arm, Bedrock Real Estate Services, are already making retail moves in the downtown area.

The two this month began work on a new parking garage in Detroit's central business district that will include 33,000 square feet of ground-floor retail.

The 535,000-square-foot, "Z-shaped" retail and parking development, which will zigzag from the corner of Broadway and East Grand River Avenue to the corner of Library Street and Gratiot Avenue, is expected to be completed by December 2013. Southfield-based Neumann/Smith Architecture is architect on the parking project, and Rich & Associates Inc. in Southfield is consulting on the structure's design.Colasanti Construction Services Inc./Sachse Construction, a joint venture of Detroit-based Colasanti and Birmingham-based Sachse, are the construction managers.

Bedrock is also bringing temporary pop-up stores to Woodward for the holidays. It recruited Madison Heights-based outerwear retailer Moosejaw Mountaineering and Backcountry Travel Inc. to open a pop-up store at 1275 Woodward Ave.

And it played a role in bringing the Somerset Collection CityLoft, a pop-up with a variety of merchandise from the upscale Troy mall, back to Woodward for the holidays after its success the past two summers and during the 2011 holiday season. This season's stores will include retailers like Pottery Barn and Eddie Bauer plus local artists.

Other holiday popups are also in the works for the 1200 block of Woodward, Silver said. Taking dedicated space on the same block is an expanded Detroit Shoppe, plus trolleys, holiday entertainment, and holiday lights.

Bedrock and Gilbert are putting together attractive deals that take some of the risk out of coming downtown, said Moosejaw CEO Eoin Comerford.

Moosejaw, which opened in early November for a Thursday-Sunday run through Dec. 22, had an "incredible" first weekend, he said.

In comparison to Moosejaw's three new stores in Natick, Mass.; Boulder, Colo.; and Kansas City, "our little popup store in Detroit actually had the best sales last week of all the new stores in only three days, and it's half the size."

"If we continue to see those kinds of results, we'll definitely make it permanent," Comerford said.

Sherri Welch:
    [COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR][COLOR=#49535A !important]
    [COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#49535A !important]
    [COLOR=#49535A !important][[313) 446-1694[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    , swelch@crain.com. Twitter: @sherriwelch
    Thanks for posting. This morning I noticed workers inside the store front at Woodward and State – presumably another pop-up in the works.

I went to lunch a couple weeks ago and they've already started work on the Z-Shape Retail\Garage on Broadway\Library.

I hear they are bringing a cell phone store, a nail salon, and a dollar store to Woodward!

Here's one of the venues I'm aware of that's going to be occupying the old City Loft space:

http://drive-detroit.com/

Umm...table tennis social club? Really? I've never heard of that before and I applaud new ideas[[at least new to me), but that sounds kinda lame.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Umm...table tennis social club? Really? I've never heard of that before and I applaud new ideas[[at least new to me), but that sounds kinda lame.
    would've said the same thing about kickball leagues ... but they're all over the place. Why not ping pong?

plan for the hudson's block are what interest me most. i hope the plan has matured from what he released a year ago.

I clicked on the drive detroit link and my computer blocked it and said that it was loaded with trojan viruses. I suggest you folks clean your machines!

Table tennis used to be huge. When I was a kid my dad used to belong to a league that played out of Cobo. I could see that working if you had food and drinks. Much lower fixed costs than say a bowling alley. I've seen a bowling alley put into an old storefront bar in Cleveland. It was drawing business.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-12-12 at 11:04 AM.

I'm willing to give the table tennis thing a shot; I mean we need unique draws to the city. Do they really have social clubs for this sort of thing in other cities? I do think it'd be cooler if it was a bar/restaurant thing.

There is a place like this in Milwaukee to give you an idea what it might be like. It was a bar, with a lot of tables, tons of flat screens with sports/videos etc on. They give lessons, hold tournaments on their main table, have leagues and open nights a couple nights a week. They also do corporate functions which is how I became aware of the place.

http://milwaukee.spingalactic.com/

That does look interesting. I guess I was thrown by the whole 'social club' thing, like it was some sort of exclusive resource, but if it's open to the public like this example I'm all for it. I don't play ping pong, though so personally I would not be that interested in going. Good beer would help persuade me though!

That does look interesting. I guess I was thrown by the whole 'social club' thing, like it was some sort of exclusive resource, but if it's open to the public like this example I'm all for it. I don't play ping pong, though so personally I would not be that interested in going. Good beer would help persuade me though!
    I know the planning team for Drive, and I can assure you that they're putting an incredible amount of thought into making it a powerhouse. Seeing how successful the Spin franchise has been in NYC, Milwaukee, and Toronto, I really think it's going to be a popular spot in Detroit.

As far as I know, there's going to be a membership option or pay-per-hour option. The bar's supposed to be serving local craft brews [[think MCBW or Detroit Beer Co. on tap). The "social club" aspect derives from the fact that Spin operates with a really large membership base, but it's not like the DAC in which non-members aren't allowed. There's just certain perks to being a member.

The proprietor is Detroit born and raised, and the team he's got working with him really has a solid set of business chops. I'm rooting for 'em.
    Last edited by michimoby; November-12-12 at 11:44 AM.

That's great to hear. I'm also rooting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    I know the planning team for Drive, and I can assure you that they're putting an incredible amount of thought into making it a powerhouse. Seeing how successful the Spin franchise has been in NYC, Milwaukee, and Toronto, I really think it's going to be a popular spot in Detroit.

As far as I know, there's going to be a membership option or pay-per-hour option. The bar's supposed to be serving local craft brews [[think MCBW or Detroit Beer Co. on tap). The "social club" aspect derives from the fact that Spin operates with a really large membership base, but it's not like the DAC in which non-members aren't allowed. There's just certain perks to being a member.

The proprietor is Detroit born and raised, and the team he's got working with him really has a solid set of business chops. I'm rooting for 'em.
    Any idea of a planned opening date? Sounds like a very interesting concept, and I do love ping pong. Will definitely give it a shot at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear they are bringing a cell phone store, a nail salon, and a dollar store to Woodward!
    For real. WOW! A nail salon. I am excited

Stasu, I'm not sure if you recognized the sarcasm in dp's post.

I'm sure he did. Don't worry dmike, you did not see the sarcasm in his!

Seems to me Stasu recognized it.

No wig shop?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    plan for the hudson's block are what interest me most. i hope the plan has matured from what he released a year ago.
    Yes!!! Me too, I hope he include everything he planned or more. Retail concept [[Apple Store) on ground-level and two 30-story residential towers above, hopefully. Hudson site is well overdue for redevelopment, can't wait to see a completed streetwall with retail along Woodward from GCP to CMP.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Yes!!! Me too, I hope he include everything he planned or more. Retail concept [[Apple Store) on ground-level and two 30-story residential towers above, hopefully. Hudson site is well overdue for redevelopment, can't wait to see a completed streetwall with retail along Woodward from GCP to CMP.
    Not so fast.... remember nothing over 15-18 stories on that block... it's all the garage and the girder farm will bear [[load wise)....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not so fast.... remember nothing over 15-18 stories on that block... it's all the garage and the girder farm will bear [[load wise)....
    !!!!! Oh, well thats cool too.

Yes, I considered that I myself may have missed the sarcasm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well, maybe we can get something much taller on the Monroe, Statler and Tuller Site. No less than 30-stories, it should make a statement. We have to think outside the box a little, design wise.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast