Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 'Nother NY Times article about our ruins.

Article in today's Freep on this author:

Former Detroiter looks at aftermath of 2008 economic collapse
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012311110068

He'll be reading from his book and signing at Pure Detroit in the Fisher Building on Friday, November 16, 7pm.
    Last edited by Kathleen; November-12-12 at 12:24 PM.

huh, having had a chance to read it all the way thru now, i actually think its alright overall i guess...not as typically schmucky as i was expecting.

We passed a couple of young white guys with beards standing on a corner, waiting for a light to change. “Some of the people coming here bring a sort of bacchanal spirit — like they’re out on the frontier and they can do anything,” Cusic said. “Detroit isn’t some kind of abstract art project,” she continued. “It’s real for people. These are real memories. Every one of these houses has a story.”
    it has always bugged me [[especially since that supposedly super-objective Palladium Boots/Johnny Knoxville documentary ) how the city is now being advertised as a "wild west" where if youre a young hipster you can come "do anything you want" or make the city into your art project. the influx of the self-dubbed "creative class" has always struck me as a little superficial, ego-centric, and flaky in that there seems to be some kind of implied "savior" status embedded in it, like "you can relax now everyone, the young affluent white people are back to save Detroit." lol
    Last edited by WaCoTS; November-12-12 at 10:25 AM.