Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Abyssinian Woodward Avenue Pres on Flicker

Woodward Ave. Presbyterian is on flicker...it appears the Abyssinian church operators walked away from a fully furnished and intact buildfing. The pipe organ has been hit by probably scrappers and the overall damage due is evident. Sad...great windows, woodwork etc. circa 1911 building. I was in the buliding last about 20 years ago with a organist friend and the building was "tired" but in decent repair. I don't remember when the Presbyterians left and Abyssinian took over. Recently I saw a Abyssinian Church sign on a church on the Lodge service drive opposite Northland Center, but I'm not sure if it is the same congregation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yrvelou...n/photostream/

Lorax Guest

I've been a big fan of this church for years now. I wonder who actually owns it?

Since churches don't pay taxes, I find it difficult to believe the costs in securing and stabilizing this building would cost that much.

Really a shame.

It's a frightening scene there. Lots left behind. I won't get into details but something tells me they could make enough money to properly seal the building by selling off a lot of the valuables left in there...