Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mayor Bing Recall Petition Approved

Not surprisingly of course, the Suburban MSM blacked this story out...

http://michigancitizen.com/bing-recall-heats-up/

In a unanimous decision Nov. 5, the Wayne County Election Commission certified ballot language to remove Mayor Bing from office. “Mayor Dave Bing reduced the hours that police precincts are open to the public,” is the approved language...

...If the recall is successful, with the collection of 43,000 approved signatures, a special election could be held as early as the third week of February 2013...

...Mayor Bing’s office said they were unaware the recall language was approved and had not responded for further comment by press time.

Why bother? The primary and general election will be in 2013. Why waste money on a special election in February when the primary will be six months later?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Why bother? The primary and general election will be in 2013. Why waste money on a special election in February when the primary will be six months later?
    Probably because Bing is trying to shove these reforms through hastily between now and next November, as even Bing knows he's the lamest duck in the room right now and won't have a 2nd term,

The longer he's in there, the more irreversible his reforms [[and we can argue all day about whether they're good or necessary, but that's besides the point) will be by his successors.

The thing is, the Consent Agreement is binding [[until someone challenges it again) even after Bing's gone.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-10-12 at 01:33 AM.

If Bing is recalled in February of 2013, then who replaces him?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    If Bing is recalled in February of 2013, then who replaces him?
    I believe either Charles Pugh or Kirk Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Now THAT'S reassuring. I feel warm, fuzzy, and tingly all @ once. Reading this article, The Michigan Citizen needs a calendar, because it doesn't have a clue. This isn't 1950. It's just more sensationalized reporting. Bing's not sitting there on stacks of 100's. Read: Detroit's BROKE! What's their solution? Raise the taxes of the actual tax paying Detroiters left? Lower parking meter times to 15 minutes? Demand Lansing or the Feds just throw more money into the incompetence pit? Just HOW do they propose to provide all these services on the current budget? More BS talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Now THAT'S reassuring. I feel warm, fuzzy, and tingly all @ once. Reading this article, The Michigan Citizen needs a calendar, because it doesn't have a clue. This isn't 1950. It's just more sensationalized reporting. Bing's not sitting there on stacks of 100's. Read: Detroit's BROKE! What's their solution? Raise the taxes of the actual tax paying Detroiters left? Lower parking meter times to 15 minutes? Demand Lansing or the Feds just throw more money into the incompetence pit? Just HOW do they propose to provide all these services on the current budget? More BS talk.
    That's not all. There's been talk of rolling back or throwing the consent decree out the window as well, or so I have heard. The thinking is that since the EM is out the picture, they can revert back to the way things were as well.

On the OTHER side of the coin, though, there are those in Lansing that are of the mind to let a city just go Bankrupt as an example to others. I kind of figured that would happen.

HAHAHA! Why would anyone in Detroit want that!?!

Let me get this straight, and please correct me if I am wrong. Kwame was mayor for more than one term, totally gave it to the city, and this never happened to him? Am I correct? I'm not saying that Bing is fantastic, but seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    HAHAHA! Why would anyone in Detroit want that!?!
    The Detroit electorate quite frankly needs a huge enema, but that's never going to happen [[nor should it happen any other way besides voting them all out).

That said, I'll take my chances for 6 months without Bing.

Why though

Detroit is great at worthless symbolism.

Let me get this straight, and please correct me if I am wrong. Kwame was mayor for more than one term, totally gave it to the city, and this never happened to him? Am I correct? I'm not saying that Bing is fantastic, but seriously?
    Detroit's situation was a bit different under Kwame, as corrupt as he was.

Granted, he probably would have been recalled if he was in office any longer.

That said, Bing's problem is just plain incompetence.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-10-12 at 10:15 AM.

Why though
    Why not?

He lacks any form of connection with the people who voted him into office and refuses to include them in the process of the city's restructuring.

That's a pretty good reason to be recalled.

The people have been against him from day one. Name a mayor in the past few decades that 'connected' with Detroiters. None. With the city council that Bing has to work with, how can he do anything? They work against him constantly because Pugh is trying to build a name for himself because he wants to be mayor someday. Again, not saying that Bing is great, but Detoits last mayor wasn't recalled, neither was Archer [[as he shouldn't have been) and neither was Young [[who in my OPINION dragged the city down into what it is now). How about this, just vote the guy out when it's election time.

If he's recalled and Pugh takes over, you have a guy that's more worried about his abs than the city, so what are you really improving on?

If you remove Bing and leave the same City Clowncil what have you gained?
    No one person can have any major effect without a team and Detroit's political team is a joke!

The people have been against him from day one. Name a mayor in the past few decades that 'connected' with Detroiters. None. With the city council that Bing has to work with, how can he do anything? They work against him constantly because Pugh is trying to build a name for himself because he wants to be mayor someday. Again, not saying that Bing is great, but Detoits last mayor wasn't recalled, neither was Archer [[as he shouldn't have been) and neither was Young [[who in my OPINION dragged the city down into what it is now). How about this, just vote the guy out when it's election time.
    The thing is, there's no telling how many more changes he could make between February and November that could potentially be more harmful for majority of Detroiters in the long run [[and irreversible), especially if these changes only delayed the inevitable BK filing.

He's already made enough changes that have worsened their quality of life even more.

I'm tired with all the recalls! No more Detroit recall petitions. Most politicians are corrupt just wait to next election year. Bing will be out of office.

The thing is, there's no telling how many more changes he could make between February and November that could potentially be more harmful for majority of Detroiters in the long run [[and irreversible), especially if these changes only delayed the inevitable BK filing.

He's already made enough changes that have worsened their quality of life even more.
    Name them. Kwame screwed you 100 times more than Bing could have possibly done. Name me at least two things that Bing has done. I'm not doubting you either, I just want to see what they are and if, in my opinion, are they things that equate to being recalled.

Klipatrick was a schmoozer. People don't mind being screwed if they've been kissed first. Bing is a business man. He looks @ the books, sees where the problems are, and attempts to resolve the issues. The problem is no one wants to hear or believe that. They want more feel-good lies, or a miracle pill to save them. To quote Jack Nicholson, "You can't handle the truth". I find Detroit becoming more sureal daily. As if everyone is living in a fantasy world. Speaking for myself, Ho' Foods or not, I'm done. I'm not going to keep investing my tax $'s into this losing situation. I've been through multiple "comebacks", and each time it ends up worse then before. Stick around, the other shoe is about to drop.

Name a mayor in the past few decades that 'connected' with Detroiters.

Kwhyme seemed to like connecting with as many of the female Detroiters as he could. The males were all on the down-low.

He connected with news reporters, the director of the consent agreement with the police department [[although in retrospect, they misunderstood the term consent), and any one of a number of fine young things at Flood's in a long-running good cop/bad cop game with Bobby Ferguson before they all jumped on their motorcycles for the tour around downtown.

Name them. Kwame screwed you 100 times more than Bing could have possibly done. Name me at least two things that Bing has done. I'm not doubting you either, I just want to see what they are and if, in my opinion, are they things that equate to being recalled.
    All Kwame did was have an affair and steal money.

While Bing may not have done either [[which remains to be seen after Chris Brown's sudden departure), what he has done is just as bad for Detroiters...

*Cutting 25% of all city jobs [[fewer taxpayers and less money spent at taxpaying businesses)
    *Cutting 80% of all DWSD jobs
    *Laying off all union DDHWP workers despite the program being funded by federal grants.
    *Cutting off half of the streetlights in a city where the crime rate remains at record highs.
    *Stretching the already thin fire and police department thinner, to where I'm surprised they're able to respond to any emergencies at all now.
    *Per the word on the street, he's been quietly forcing
    *He's on the verge of authorizing the building of huge GMO farms on the eastside of town run by suburban investor who otherwise wants nothing to do with Detroit and its people, where all sorts of deadly chemicals will be sprayed around that could have disastrous health impacts on the remaining citizens in the city.
    *Not stopping the continued lowering of the city's income tax rate despite the loss of the state's revenue sharing, losing $8 million dollars in additional revenue per year.

And what's going to happen when he's finished? Like Kwame fled to Dallas, Bing's going to flee back to Franklin. Meanwhile, if Detroiters thought life was bad for then now, let's wait another year or two once Bing's changes are completely implemented.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-10-12 at 11:04 AM.

All Kwame did was have an affair and steal money.

Are you F'in' SERIOUS? "all" he did? 9 mil comes to mind right off the top of my head, NOT counting all the theft coming to light in just one Federal trial. Yeah, no biggie, we'll raise taxes, THAT'LL help Detroit citizens.

*Cutting 25% of all city jobs [[fewer taxpayers and less money spent at taxpaying businesses)
    *Cutting 80% of all DWSD jobs
    *Laying off all union DDHWP workers despite the program being funded by federal grants.
    *Cutting off half of the streetlights in a city where the crime rate remains at record highs.
    *Stretching the already thin fire and police department thinner, to where I'm surprised they're able to respond to any emergencies at all now.
    *Per the word on the street, he's been quietly forcing
    *He's on the verge of authorizing the building of huge GMO farms on the eastside of town run by suburban investor who otherwise wants nothing to do with Detroit and its people, where all sorts of deadly chemicals will be sprayed around that could have disastrous health impacts on the remaining citizens in the city.
    *Not stopping the continued lowering of the city's income tax rate despite the loss of the state's revenue sharing, losing $8 million dollars in additional revenue per year.

Have you read the studies and stories about all the freeloading going on in these "City" jobs? Please enlighten me, just how would you generate revenue to pay for all those things that have been cut? Maybe we would've had money, if in previous administrations people hadn't "just" taken some. And yes, by all means let's alienate those evil suburbanites. We've been doing that for some 60 odd years. How's that been working out for you? Show me where this guy claims he's going to start spraying poisons on innocent Detroiters. Just give me a working plan for recovery now that we're staring bankruptcy in the face. Please see my other post about living in la-la land.

There's no telling what could save Detroit at this point.

I know one thing. We surely won't see Bing again after next year.

Municipal Bankrupacy seems like the only hope for this area now. With 2013 being the year for Detroit elections. The only one publically considering a run for mayor is Mike Duggan.

As I ride my bike around the city, and talk to fellow Detroiters, I see the cost of the "city vs suburb" mentallity.

I've yet to see a peace treaty come out between the city of Detroit and the surburbs, and I have little hope in one coming in my lifetime.

The suburbs own most of the private property in Detroit. Just walk by the for sale signs. Most of the phone numbers of the agents are in the suburbs.

Detroit's population is at this very moment, losing people daily. It may not be long before another city in Michigan becomes the largest city in the state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast