Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Polish restaurants in Metro Detroit & Hamtramck

What are your favorite Polish restaurants in the area and what are the best items on their menu?

I prefer the Polish Village Cafe. The Polish Cultural Center in Troy was pretty good the one time I had it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 9606 Prest View Post
    What are your favorite Polish restaurants in the area and what are the best items on their menu?
    Polish Village is going to be the big winner here. They are good, and the ambiance is fun, along with the giant mugs of Okocim.

Krakus is a good one and an oddity as well. It's on Joseph Campau, north of Carpenter, in Detroit. There isn't much left in the immediate area besides piles of tires and Krakus. There is a tear in the fabric of the space-time continuum right at the front door, so when you walk in its 1978. It is also "Witchcraft Krakus" for unknown reasons. See exhibit A. http://www.ourstoryof.com/polish/pro...akus/pic6.html
    The food is good and the staff is friendly in that weird, stoic Polish way. They yell at each other in Polish so you know it's legit.

I guess you can't really go wrong with what you get. Polish food isn't exactly a burst of exotic flavors. Although I'm pretty sure "City Chicken" doesn't exist in Poland, at least I never encountered it there.
    Last edited by poobert; November-09-12 at 03:28 PM.

My late sister-in-law was from Warsaw. She told us the Polish food in Detroit is nothing like what is served these days in Poland.

My theory is the recipes came with the Polish immigrants in the early 20th century and it does reflect what was then common in Poland. Tastes changed in Poland as they did in the US over the years, but the Polish families and restaurants here keep their family traditions brought from the old country so many generations ago.

Meantime, the closest old style Polish restaurant for us is V & M on 13 Mile east of Greenfield, where Ann Sayles Tea Room used to be.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-09-12 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    My late sister-in-law was from Warsaw. She told us the Polish food in Detroit is nothing like what is served these days in Poland.

My theory is the recipes came with the Polish immigrants in the early 20th century and it does reflect what was then common in Poland. Tastes changed in Poland as they did in the US over the years, but the Polish families and restaurants here keep their family traditions brought from the old country so many generations ago.
    And we did not have to suffer through Soviet occupation. I have a feeling the Russians had a big hand in changing Polish tastes since their ancestors emigrated here around the beginning of the 20th Century.

Gazhekwe.... you are correct about historic recipe's being used. Ditto for German... Frankenmuth is mostly visited by Americans who don't realize that chicken isn't a main specialty of Germany... where mainly pork and beef dishes are the main fare.

I don't know why... but I have a sudden urge for some of Mrs. Velvyotszki's cabbage rolls...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    And we did not have to suffer through Soviet occupation. I have a feeling the Russians had a big hand in changing Polish tastes since their ancestors emigrated here around the beginning of the 20th Century.
    I dunno. The People's Republic of Poland was certainly a satellite state of the USSR but it wasn't really "occupied." In fact it was probably more ethnically Polish then than today.

The food around here is certainly different but I wouldn't say it is "nothing" like Polish food. I think a big difference is that our Polish restaurants are not at all upscale. Polish people in Poland make big, nicely presented dinners rather than a paper plate with pierogi. There is also much more variation in restaurants like there is here, at least in cities of any consequence.

Rest assured, there is golabki and pierogi in Poland. You're not getting totally shafted.

Now, if anybody could bring this here that would be great. Best when you're totally blasted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapiekanka

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think a big difference is that our Polish restaurants are not at all upscale. Polish people in Poland make big, nicely presented dinners rather than a paper plate with pierogi. There is also much more variation in restaurants like there is here, at least in cities of any consequence.
    Upscale Polish:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Michigan.html

I can remember Dad bringing us to Steve's Lunch all the time. It was in the basement of a house across from St. Hedwig's church. Totally not upscale, but he loved it. He called it 'the Bottom of the Flame' as the most flamboyant restraunt in the city at that time was in the gas company building and called 'Top of the Flame'.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Wow, as someone with Polish heritage who loves Polish food and lived in Ann Arbor for almost 3 years, I had no idea this existed! I will have to try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I dunno. The People's Republic of Poland was certainly a satellite state of the USSR but it wasn't really "occupied." In fact it was probably more ethnically Polish then than today.

The food around here is certainly different but I wouldn't say it is "nothing" like Polish food. I think a big difference is that our Polish restaurants are not at all upscale. Polish people in Poland make big, nicely presented dinners rather than a paper plate with pierogi. There is also much more variation in restaurants like there is here, at least in cities of any consequence.

Rest assured, there is golabki and pierogi in Poland. You're not getting totally shafted.

Now, if anybody could bring this here that would be great. Best when you're totally blasted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapiekanka
    I know all about current Polish cuisine a good friend is married to a Polish national and I have enjoyed great meals she prepares!
    As for occupied what were the Soviet Military divisions doing there during the cold war, on holiday?

Polish Village Cafe or Polonia . They are across from one another on Yemans st. Both very Good!

Polish food is no different as any other country in that it varies greatly by region.

OOooh, I MISS Steve Lunch! Soup and bread and you were good to go, and the potato pancakes on Fridays were to die for. Steve's on Middlebelt is the same family, but the food seems a bit less authentic, somehow. The potato pancakes are sooo good, though.

The Round Bar on Chene used to have the best meat pierogis. It is so hard to find any like them these days.

Perhaps Elllie's Grill in Berkley or Christine's Cuisine in Ferndale?

I've been to Christine's, a very good menu, not so traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    ...snip...
    When I was in Poland recently, I found nearly identical food to Hamtramck Polish in Warsaw -- at a beautifully not-at-all-updated 1960's workers lunch downtown. I think the secret is that what's served in Hamtramck isn't at all upscale food by Polish standards. Its more family food.

Cant remember the name but just opened, not the best but mom and pop.
    On 9 mile between schoenherr and hays across from shoppers mart.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Cant remember the name but just opened, not the best but mom and pop.
    On 9 mile between schoenherr and hays across from shoppers mart.
    Ate there a couple weeks ago. Very good food.

V and M on 13 Mile Rd is very good; it is owned by one of the women who used to own Two Sisters up in Rochester which is now, unfortunately, closed.

Try Sabinas on Oakwood in Melvindale. The soups are fabulous, the golabki are perfect and it's the best carrot cake you've ever had. If you like tripe soup it's excellent. And the prices are so reasonable.

Check out Jim's Place in Dearborn. On a side note. Polish must be going mainstream. There is now a polish place at the food court at Fairlane mall

Quote Originally Posted by bike4beer View Post
    Check out Jim's Place in Dearborn. On a side note. Polish must be going mainstream. There is now a polish place at the food court at Fairlane mall
    My Favorite since 1972,,,You'll LOVE it.

https://www.facebook.com/JimsPlaceFamilyDining

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    When I was in Poland recently, I found nearly identical food to Hamtramck Polish in Warsaw -- at a beautifully not-at-all-updated 1960's workers lunch downtown. I think the secret is that what's served in Hamtramck isn't at all upscale food by Polish standards. Its more family food.
    I think you're talking about "milk bars" [[bary mleczne), which are a remnant of the bad old Communist days. I went to the one in Warszawa next to the Barbikan. Very old school cafeteria style, but delicious. My friend and I had two giant bowls of tomato soup, nalesniki, and two bottles of Coke for about 6 bucks. The cashier yelled "NIE!" if you tried to order something of which they were out. It was amazing to see children chowing down on plates of homemade pork and dumplings [[despite Americans' widespread belief that children will only eat frozen chicken nuggets).

On the other hand, as has been stated, there are some *very* high-end restaurants, especially in the cities. An example would be Magda Gessler's U Fukiera: http://www.ufukiera.pl/?language=en#/638-menu-2

In general, though, agreed that much Polish food in the U.S. is a bit dated, although traditional. Between the tightening of U.S. immigration policy and the Iron Curtain, the influx of immigrants all-but-ceased, so there was never much "refreshing" of current culinary trends from the Motherland. Well, let's be honest--the food scene was probably pretty bleak until about 25 years ago.

Personally, I would *love* to see a chef immigrate to the U.S. and open a modern Polish restaurant. A few of the best meals I've ever had were in Poland, and the complexity of the flavors can be mind-blowing. Contrary to popular belief, it's a hell of a lot more than sausages, potatoes, and cabbage.

I personally don't care for either Polish Village Cafe or Polonia. Both are too expensive for the quality you're getting. The food tastes like it was purchased frozen @ Bozek's, then heated in a microwave. Last time I ate @ Polish Village Cafe, the smashed potatoes were from a cheap mix. Sometimes, when the planets are lined up correctly, some soups @ Polonia can be good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast