Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tiger Stadium Site

I drove by the Tiger Stadium site and saw a banner announcing a new car dealership[[?) to be built on the site. Has anyone else heard about this? It is not clear too what extent the site is to be used for this, however, the rendering shows the old fence off of Michigan Ave remaining. This seems to be an odd use of this site when you consider all of the empty land and buildings available for reuse.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

in case that doesn't get heard everywhere...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Tiger Stadium is best used as a dog park as it unofficially is now.

When you consider all the intelligent proposals that have been put forward for this site, plans that incorporated the history of the corner, the greenlighting of a dealership there is monumentally stupid and wasteful.

Jesus christ. Talk about eyesores. That's exactly what a car dealership is.

This city is run by small-minded money men who get the corrupt leadership to do their bidding. Interpret that as you will ...

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    I drove by the Tiger Stadium site and saw a banner announcing a new car dealership[[?) to be built on the site. Has anyone else heard about this? It is not clear too what extent the site is to be used for this, however, the rendering shows the old fence off of Michigan Ave remaining. This seems to be an odd use of this site when you consider all of the empty land and buildings available for reuse.

This is a fantastic use for one of the "jewels" of Detroit. The only question is how much money is going into the pockets of which city council members to make this happen.

BTW, if you've ever driven west down Michigan Ave from Trumbull, there are literally entire blocks that are vacant that could easily be used for a dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    BTW, if you've ever driven west down Michigan Ave from Trumbull, there are literally entire blocks that are vacant that could easily be used for a dealership.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqPQz39L-G8

crap location for a car dealership. is it one of those "we finance" used car places or a real car dealership?

pretty terrible plan they got there....

I always felt like Tiger Stadium not getting redeveloped in spite of there being at least one good plan was because the black city council of Detroit felt like they could upset white people by destroying history and subsequently allowing the site to rot. Perhaps that is just my perception. But in Detroit perception is often reality.

^^ Many would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    crap location for a car dealership. is it one of those "we finance" used car places or a real car dealership?
    Most of those places use existing buildings. At one time my brother and his partners had six car dealerships. Only one was in a newly built store. That store eventually ended up bankrupting the company due to higher costs.

Something is fishy here... why has no media reported on this yet??

Last I heard was the Parade Co. was interested in the site, which included saving the field...

So why is Crains Detroit and News/Freep, and the TV newscasts mum on the subject? Aren't all City Council meeting broadcast to the public... suggesting that this would have come up as a discussion topic?

What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Everybody can't buy a car at a dealership. Why? They are unable to get a car financed the traditional way. Maybe Mel Farr is coming back. Maybe not he married into a very wealthy family. Perhaps it's his son Mel Farr Jr.

The auto dealerships website is www.navinautosales.com pretty interesting find.

Name:  navinAutoSales.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  37.7 KB

from the corner

Looks like a ruse to get folks to the kickstarter page.

It would really be an insult if the dealership were some foreign brand like Kia or Toyota.

I propose bringing it back to it's original use...... as a hay market!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Looks like a ruse to get folks to the kickstarter page.
    Pretty damn clever, if you ask me...I was about to head down to Tractor Supply for a few dozen pitchforks.

This is one of those website "redirects"... that someone put out there to sabotage the link... what I see is a donation page for an Ernie Harwell statue.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I always felt like Tiger Stadium not getting redeveloped in spite of there being at least one good plan was because the black city council of Detroit felt like they could upset white people by destroying history and subsequently allowing the site to rot. Perhaps that is just my perception. But in Detroit perception is often reality.
    Actually, city council gave these suburbanites an opportunity to develop the site. They gave them time to gather funding. They couldn't get the funding. These people with their development plans couldn't put their money where their mouth is. The city can't staff enough police or even keep the street lights on, but people want the city to preserve a 100 year old stadium that has no functional use anymore? Chicago tore down Comiskey and New York tore down old Yankee Stadium. The proposals were cute and wonderful but the funding wasn't there. The city was left with a stadium they were liable for and had to secure. It needed to come down.

It is a ruse - no car dealership is going into the site.

Between this and the non-Foxcomm we need something real to get worked up about.

This is THE WORST idea for that site !
    I hope this is not true , NO one could image a stupid car dealership on that site . There would be a riot !

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Actually, city council gave these suburbanites an opportunity to develop the site. They gave them time to gather funding. They couldn't get the funding. These people with their development plans couldn't put their money where their mouth is. The city can't staff enough police or even keep the street lights on, but people want the city to preserve a 100 year old stadium that has no functional use anymore? Chicago tore down Comiskey and New York tore down old Yankee Stadium. The proposals were cute and wonderful but the funding wasn't there. The city was left with a stadium they were liable for and had to secure. It needed to come down.
    I don't think anyone ever wanted the city to staff the building. Just let it sit there, like 99% of other abandoned properties in Detroit, and wait for it to be developed. There's a lot bigger and more dangerous structures that the city is liable for, not to mention whole neighborhoods that need attention that looked like a bomb dropped on them. Tiger Stadium was harmless, but perhaps too symbolic of something the city council didn't like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast