Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sleuths needed to identify people and places in Detroit and Grosse Pointe.

The daughter of the young girl in the video would like know as much as possible about the people and places on the video. What is known are the yacht and a quick appearance by Edsel Ford. Any info would be most appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvnRBiHc5o

The yacht was anchored at the Boat Club, not the Yacht Club.
    http://www.gphistorical.org/stonehurst/stonehurst4.html

this the link to the family and estate

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The yacht was anchored at the Boat Club, not the Yacht Club.

this the link to the family and estate
    The yacht is moored behind Edsel Ford's home on E. Jefferson. Look at the orientation of the bridge. Stellaris one of the known items the homes and people are what we are looking for.

Yep, have to agree, Gaukler Pointe opened in 1929, so that would place the age of the film 1928 or before. The ladies are certainly dressed in the height of fashion, with the shorter bobs and long strand of pearls.

what I don't understand is why the lady looking for information doesn't already know her family history. By all indication she is part of the Ford glass family, has access to all sorts of info, so what exactly doesn't she know?

Yep, have to agree, Gaukler Pointe opened in 1929, so that would place the age of the film 1928 or before. The ladies are certainly dressed in the height of fashion, with the shorter bobs and long strand of pearls.

what I don't understand is why the lady looking for information doesn't already know her family history. By all indication she is part of the Ford glass family, has access to all sorts of info, so what exactly doesn't she know?
    It does seem a bit odd. The young girl should be Josephine Schlotman, with a well known genealogy.

FM

This 1941 press photo of Mrs. William Moore Joy and Daughter [[Patsy) was sold on eBay a few weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Press-P...-/390469144865

According to the link provided by GNOME [[above) there is a genealogy page here:
    http://www.gphistorical.org/stonehurst/stonehurst3.html

The Ford – Schlotman’s had two daughters: [[1) Josephine Ford Schlotman and Patricia Ford Schotman [[later Mrs. William Moore Joy).

By the way, who is the guy in the video with the white hair and goatee?

Good luck with the rest of the search.
    Name:  Mrs William Moore Joy.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  38.9 KBName:  Schlotman Ford Tree.gif
Views: 2976
Size:  9.5 KB

Looks like the Henry Ford Estate on Lakeshore in Grosse Pointe to me.
    Great movie, wherever it is.
    Last edited by cla1945; November-08-12 at 11:33 AM.

And a good looking woman too!

But, I digress. I have reviewed part of the video. If I am not mistaken, the Yacht [[at that time) belonged to Horace Dodge, as the Delphine I. And it is moored in front of his original home the first Rose Terrace, slightly east of, and later demolished to build Rose Terrace II. That is not Gawkler Point [[sorry).

This is indeed a rare [[public) video.

FM

She has some information but even what she gave us is not adding up.

It doesn't look to me like the movie was shot @ 1 location, but @ least 2, possibly 3. One of the scenes was @ the Ford home on Lakeshore. I have no idea where the others were filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    She has some information but even what she gave us is not adding up.
    Hey man, why so obtuse? Folks are trying to help.

Yes, great home movie film clips! I suspect my family was not in attendance.

The vignetting on the edges is interesting. With the weight and size of motion cameras I would say the photog was either a pro or experienced amateur. The photog had a tripod, knew how to keep focus on an approaching subject, kept framing constant, controlled the light, did not pan or tilt too fast or without meaning, and was able to edit inside the camera.

edsel ford was an avid amateur photographer. He certainly would have dough for professional gear.

I would like to revise what I said earlier about the yacht. I would like to speculate that it is moored along the Detroit river, upstream from Belle Isle. [[Belle Isle Bridge in background). It could also be the St. Clair or Belle River at Marine city. Also, look at the scene on the opposite side of the river [[not Lake St. Clair).

It also appears they didn't take the yacht out. When the guests go up to the bridge they are shown the operation of the telegraph. The telegraph is in the idle position.

This portion of the film may well be the mid-twenties, when the Schlotman's owned it. Of course, there is the life ring with "Stellaris," kind of a dead giveaway.

Hey man, why so obtuse? Folks are trying to help.
    Sorry gnome!! I was a little sidetracked this morning. I appreciate all the help! All I was given was there are members of the Schlotman family [[of course) and members of the John B. Ford family. Here is a link to part of the video with some more info that I just received.

vimeo.com/45288318

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Sorry gnome!! I was a little sidetracked this morning. I appreciate all the help! All I was given was there are members of the Schlotman family [[of course) and members of the John B. Ford family. Here is a link to part of the video with some more info that I just received.

vimeo.com/45288318

Bad URL?

Very interesting thread though

Also gnome her info was not adding up what everyone is giving me here makes much more sense!!

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Bad URL?

Very interesting thread though
    Try this.

http://vimeo.com/45288318

That dog missed it's calling. It could have played the lead in the original Hounds of the Baskervilles. Was that Madeline Kahn ?
    Last edited by Bong-Man; November-08-12 at 02:24 PM.

When was Electric Park around? In one scene where the woman's knitting, isn't that a roller coaster frame on shore between the Belle Isle bridge and the yacht? That would put the yacht parked about where the closed Armory is.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When was Electric Park around? In one scene where the woman's knitting, isn't that a roller coaster frame on shore between the Belle Isle bridge and the yacht? That would put the yacht parked about where the closed Armory is.
    +1 I had exactly the very same thought. Take a look at the VIMEO link at 1:12. That is either a roller coaster or a gasometer. What was there before Brodhead Naval Armory was built in 1930 - 7600 E. Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    +1 I had exactly the very same thought. Take a look at the VIMEO link at 1:12. That is either a roller coaster or a gasometer. What was there before Brodhead Naval Armory was built in 1930 - 7600 E. Jefferson.
    That strip between Belle Isle & going East to @ least the Indian Village area, used to have large homes, [[mansions), on the water. Behind the UAW Headquarters, you can still see an Asian style boathouse standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Most likely is Electric Park. The park dates from 1906-1928. Also a little further down is that part of what became Uniroyal?

On the opposite side of the bridge, between he bridge and where those 2 smokestacks are.