Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Election Day in Detroit 2012

The story is disheartening. I trust that its not systemic.

So let's be positive.

GET OUT AND VOTE!

I think I disagree with 90% of the people here on most issues -- but I still encourage everyone to vote. I did!

And now for some last-minute information -- here are Jack Lessenberry's recommendations. I almost never agree with him. But here he's got it mostly right, I mean left.

Read here --> LESSENBERRY COLUMN

Proposal 1 - EM Law --- YES
    Proposal 2 - Ensconce Union rights -- YES*
    Proposal 3 - Alternative energy standards -- YES
    Proposal 4 - Registry for Home Healthcare Workers -- NO
    Proposal 5 - Require Vote on Taxes -- NO, NO, NO
    Proposal 6 - Require Vote on bridges -- NO

* = I disagree

GET OUT AND VOTE

i feel like there is a hell of alot more to this story than they are saying.
    1. can anyone tell me where this happened and why the Washington post managed to report it before local news could?
    2. from what it sounds like, this poll watcher was asked to show his credentials by a man with a gun and a BADGE and not just some random guy with a gun
    3. What exactly are the duties of a poll watcher and is there anything this man did that provoked this man with a gun and a badge to confront this poll watch?

Despite the long lines on the eastside, it was a cheerful, almost festal atmosphere. An hour and a half to vote simply because of the crowds.

Fucking Republicans are already crying in their coffee. Too many people of color out voting for them to bear.

I went about 9:30 this morning. It took me about 2 hours to get to the booth.

About a 10-minute wait at Transfiguration at 1 p.m. Voter 248...

Note: MT Editorial Board differed a bit from Lessenberry.

Proposal 1 - EM Law --- NO
    Proposal 2 - Ensconce Union rights -- YES
    Proposal 5 - Require Vote on Taxes -- NO

Schostak's remarks at the end of that are redIculous!

“I can only hope that this morning’s outlandish, reckless and dangerous behavior, was not part of a coordinated effort by the Democratic Party and therefore, I am calling on Mark Brewer, Democratic Party Chairman, to condemn these threats of violence and pledge to ensuring all election workers, volunteers and citizens remain safe.”

Yeah. It's all a left-wing conspiracy...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Note: MT Editorial Board differed a bit from Lessenberry.

Proposal 1 - EM Law --- NO
    Proposal 2 - Ensconce Union rights -- YES
    Proposal 5 - Require Vote on Taxes -- NO
    My vote was...

Prop 1 - No
    Prop 2 - Yes
    Prop 3 - No
    Prop 4 - Yes
    Prop 5 - No
    Prop 6 - No

I voted no on Proposal 6 with a very heavy heart.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-06-12 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I voted no on Proposal 6 with a very heavy heart.
    HI MATTY! Welcome to the board!

I've never seen journalism that one-sided. They don't even state the reason his 911 call was rejected. How do we know the whole story wasn't fabricated? Where's the interview of an impartial witness? What's this poll watcher's name? There's no way to validate this story without more information. Why was that information withheld?

I call BS.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    HI MATTY! Welcome to the board!
    You've pegged me wrong.

It's just that voting no for Proposal 6 is essentially saying that you support.Snyder's circumvention of our state's legislative process and that you buy his bold-faced lie that the bridge won't cost taxpayers anything.

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the strange language for an international bridge in the proposal, I would have voted yes. I think the majority of state voters support the new bridge anyway.

But as much as I dislike what Snyder did, long term this will be a great investment for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've never seen journalism that one-sided. They don't even state the reason his 911 call was rejected. How do we know the whole story wasn't fabricated? Where's the interview of an impartial witness? What's this poll watcher's name? There's no way to validate this story without more information. Why was that information withheld?

I call BS.
    I agree. It's a Republican Party press release picked up by the former Moonie rag Washington Times.

No lines or delays in Dearborn.

Everybody was in a good mood, too.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    I agree. It's a Republican Party press release picked up by the former Moonie rag Washington Times.
    It's a little suspicious that this story has not been picked up by the local news outlets. Is the I-96 shooting suspect hogging the headlines, or is it because this is a bogus story?

Just how high on the 911 call pecking order are intimidated poll watchers??

Do they rank higher than homicides or robberies?

Perhaps Mr. Schostak should have said... "since the city doesn't have enough policemen to handle the problems Detroit already has, that we cannot guarantee the safety of those we send in to be poll watchers. So we need to help do more to get more Detroit policemen hired."

Calling the Democratic Chairman isn't going to do that... he needs to get the governor and legislature involved to fix that problem.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-06-12 at 04:58 PM.

All you have to do is Google a few key terms in the story and the results speak for themselves.

It's obviously just another echo chamber fecal adhesion test.

One hour wait in my location, and not very well organized.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Fucking Republicans are already crying in their coffee. Too many people of color out voting for them to bear.
    I take it you can guess how people are going to vote based upon their color?

What else can you tell about people by simply seeing their color?

Anyway you have an excellent command of the English language, I'm proud of you.

Station 143 went smoothly [[Woodbridge, Corktown, Core City), but it always does. The line was short at 3:30, and I was 362. Not a great turn out, but better than the primaries, where we were lucky to get 300 all day. Several of my neighbors voted absentee, just to be safe. And we had no teabaggers snoopin around, only pushy UAW folks. They ferverently made sure to advise me to vote yes on proposal 6.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; November-06-12 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I went about 9:30 this morning. It took me about 2 hours to get to the booth.
    Why doesn't Michigan have early voting? I voted on October 22.

Got out of the car at 5:15 got back in at 6:15.

Obama/Biden

1-No
    2-Yes
    3-No
    4-Yes
    5-No
    6-No

Yes to a set number of signatures for a candidate.

Yes to marijuana decriminalization.

About a 45 minute wait for me at Metropolitan United Methodist Church on Woodward. Everything seemed to be going smoothly there.