Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What happened to the rest of the city?

I've been riding my bike and taking the bus for as far back as I can remember.

I lived through Young, Archer, Kilpatrick, Cockrel, and now Bing administrations. There are a lot of things here in Detroit that could have been changed for the better over these times. However, it seems that some of these politicians have forgot who they are truly working for.

When I was born, I lived near Herman Gardens. I was lucky to have been raised in the Rosedale-Grandmont neighborhood. While the Rosedale-Grandmont neighborhood has been a step up from where I was born, there is still a lot more progress that can be made there.

I now live in the house that my parents have own after moving to the Rosedale-Grandmont neighborhood. I can say that if there's any neighborhood that needs a lot of help, it's the one that I'm living in now. Sure there's a CVS on Chicago and Greenfield and that's an improvement. However, I don't feel safe there. The nearest police precient is all the way on Fort Street, and I can no longer drive there.

I'm sure the concept of starting neighborhood by neighborhood to revive Detroit has been discussed time and time again. Downtown is a lot nicer than it was when I was born that's for sure, but it would be nice if I could ride my bike down the street without having to worry about my tires going flat from broken glass bottles.

Sometimes I want to give up and leave Detroit and never come back. However, if I leave, and many people are doing so, there won't be enough people left here that can solve the problems here short of bombing the city and starting over.

I understand that the city is financially unstable, and it's government officials are currently 'without reason'.

One thing that the city can jump start quickly, is to make transit easier for the citizens that can't afford to get their own vehicle. This city will always be the motor city, but let's not make it harder on those who can't drive their own cars.

Lorax Guest

Hey, I'm with you, and if it's any consolation, I've lived most of my adult life away from Detroit, and still maintain a home in Florida, however, I recently bought a mid century modern ranch in Southfield, and am making the transition back for most of the year. I am also transitioning some of my business to Detroit proper, and look at this rotten economic time as an opportunity to help out and employ a few people.

I am able to do this financially, however, many feel stuck in a continually deteriorating situation.

I think staying is the best thing at this point. If you own your home outright, and don't owe anything on it, you are better off.

Try and get involved in the neighborhood association. Hold your elected officials accountable. Write letters, show up to open council meetings. Fight your high property taxes.

Unfortunately we're going to have to fight to keep our neighborhoods intact, as the current economic situation will only bring in parasitical landlords who will buy up homes to rent out to anyone who shows up with a check.

Grandmont/Rosedale is such a beautiful neighborhood, but only with vigilance will it survive. Please, get involved, and work with others who share the same goal.

Believe me, there is much about living in Miami that Detroiters would not put up with, and the situation here is really deteriorating fast, so the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

People in Detroit, and in Michigan live in a really beautiful place, which will need protecting, and maintenance to become even more than it is now.

As an example, Miami has no DIA, has no Cranbrook, has no neighborhoods like Palmer Woods, Rosedale Park, has no Belle Isle, has no hardwood trees, has no decent architecture, save a few buildings of note that are still standing.

Embrace what you have and turn it into the best city you can.

Start by calling out the criminals at city hall- this can be done with letter writing, blogs, showing up for council meetings. Demanding accountability.

Threaten them with bad publicity if necessary- all these things work when done consistently. Organize your neighborhood association to invite council people to speak on neighborhood issues. Be proactive, and you will end up making the difference.

Inspiring words Lorax. I mean that.

Tig3:
    Your quote:
    "...One thing that the city can jump start quickly, is to make transit easier for the citizens that can't afford to get their own vehicle. This city will always be the motor city, but let's not make it harder on those who can't drive their own cars..."

Is right on [[that's old people speak for spot on).
    I would suggest that "this region" can be substituted for "the city".
    The number of job listings on employment web sites that require job applicants to have "reliable transportation" is amazing, and illustrates the need for commuter transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    it would be nice if I could ride my bike down the street without having to worry about my tires going flat from broken glass bottles.

As long as the they sell non-returnable glass bottles at the party store/grocery store, your going to have to contend with a lot of broken glass in the street. I spotted an unbroken glass bottle in the street today and grabbed it to properly dispose of it. I recommend the Specialized All-Condition Armadillo Tire if you have a road bike. I kept hearing this unfamiliar clicking noisy on my way home today, after inspecting I pulled a long sharp piece of jagged wire out of the tire, it never punctured the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    One thing that the city can jump start quickly, is to make transit easier for the citizens that can't afford to get their own vehicle. This city will always be the motor city, but let's not make it harder on those who can't drive their own cars.
    The hell with the affordability. Transit is the lifeblood of a city. If the car centric city was what people really wanted, Detroit should be a glowing Metropolis and New York should be a giant shithole.