Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default To improve the national economy bring all manufacturing jobs back!

I think that if it was possible to bring 70% of the manufacturing jobs back to the US, our national economy would improve drastically.
    In particular, Detroit a manufacturing based city this would be big. Our unemployment rate would decrease beyond belief.

When you drive around the city it's easy to see closed warehouses and manufacturing plants. Businesses that used to support the auto industry or assemble other products.

You can name what used to be built here in Detroit. The empty buildings are everywhere.
    Name:  vacate building.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  10.3 KB

Now I understand that we can't compete with salaries of $.50 - $2.00 per hour, China/India/Mexican pay wage.

Somehow we got to make America strong again.

Thanx, again, for posting the obvious.

Brilliant, seems we have enough tools for the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I think that if it was possible to bring 70% of the manufacturing jobs back to the US, our national economy would improve drastically.
    In particular, Detroit a manufacturing based city this would be big. Our unemployment rate would decrease beyond belief.

When you drive around the city it's easy to see closed warehouses and manufacturing plants. Businesses that used to support the auto industry or assemble other products.

You can name what used to be built here in Detroit. The empty buildings are everywhere.
    Name:  vacate building.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  10.3 KB

Now I understand that we can't compete with salaries of $.50 - $2.00 per hour, China/India/Mexican pay wage.

Somehow we got to make America strong again.
    I'll name what used to be built in the building shown in your photo: car bodies for body-on-frame passenger vehicles, specifically Cadillac limos and pilot bodies for other GM cars that used that type of vehicle construction - which is now technologically obsolete. They aren't built in Detroit or anywhere else in the USA because there are no customers for those kinds of vehicles anymore. The layout of that plant is also obsolete and incompatible with modern car manufacturing operations. Furthermore, the biggest reason there are fewer manufacturing jobs in the US and elsewhere is due to the competitive need for continuous improvement in manufacturing operations, which reduces the amount of labor inputs needed to produce the same number of products. It's impossible to bring back jobs that no longer exist.

To improve the national economy, we need to eliminate government policies that stifle growth and we must reply on all types of small businesses and start-ups, which is where most of our country's job growth occurs.

These type of posts have become beond annoying!

In addition to being obsolete the abandoned plants in town are mostly beyond repair and probably require expensive site cleanup after the structures are pulled down and hauled off

Manufacturing is actually coming back the problem is this country has not educated the youth on the skills required and the skilled trades are reaching the age of retirement so there is a demand for high paying jobs in that field.

I use a metal fabrication shop,all of his workers are over the age of 48 and make well over $70.000 a year he needs more help but cannot find it,and that is good wages for Fla.

I have a friend that bought a fabrication shop for $750,000 for the B1 visa aspect all the workers there were around the age of 60 after two years he shut it down because they retired he could not find somebody to run a CNC machine or even a mill and they were making a hell of alot more then $2 per hour.

The demand is there but we decided long ago that everybody is better off as a tech with computers so we stopped the training aspect in the basic things that made this country run.

How does this work for Detroit? It could. I have an acquaintance that has a school that uses Gov grants to train people in hair cutting so they take somebody that does not have the funds for schooling and give them a career choice,yes kind of weak but say for instance somebody were to take one of those closed down schools and used the same concept to train in the skills aspect,machinists are in high demand now,but then you would have to find some instructors and educators and there are probably not any left in the city anyways.

We became dumb by being smart.

THX Lowell!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Manufacturing is actually coming back the problem is this country has not educated the youth on the skills required and the skilled trades are reaching the age of retirement so there is a demand for high paying jobs in that field.
    It is my understanding that the world of modern metal work - welding, etc, - requires more knowledge of metallurgy than it did in previous years. Is that correct? I have also heard that for many millwork and other similar jobs, a lot of the applicants don't have the basic geometry skills needed

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    These type of posts have become beond annoying!
    Wheels... here's some new topics to post...
    http://www.well.com/user/argv/funny/deep.thoughts1

[[...and just remember the person who spoke these words of wisdom is today a US Senator from Minnesota! )

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wheels... here's some new topics to post...
    http://www.well.com/user/argv/funny/deep.thoughts1

[[...and just remember the person who spoke these words of wisdom is today a US Senator from Minnesota! )
    Al Franken read the Deep Thoughts material? I thought Handey himself did. I think Nesmith did a better job of that on Television Parts. His readings were, to my ear, infused with an ironic innocence the SNL versions lacked. Regardless, they were brilliant moments of absurdity

Last edited by rb336; November-06-12 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    This is why tarriffs [[import taxes) are needed - to equalize the playing field between the US paying a worker a decent wage and a 3rd world country [[or China) paying a kid $2.00 an hour to build the same product.

The government keeps complaining how they need more revenue - bring back the import tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    This is why tarriffs [[import taxes) are needed - to equalize the playing field between the US paying a worker a decent wage and a 3rd world country [[or China) paying a kid $2.00 an hour to build the same product.

The government keeps complaining how they need more revenue - bring back the import tax.
    Might be the first time I agreed, but you do have to be careful to not start a trade war.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post

Papasito, there is a HUGE loophole in regards to IT jobs that went to India. The software that they produce [[which in a sense is little different from any tangible product produced overseas and shipped here)... comes back to the USA over internet lines CUSTOMS and TAX free.

Give you an example... I wrote a 2,800 page collectors guide on LEGO [[the toy)... I can send it as a downloadable E-Book to any country in the world [[688MB of data can be transmitted anywhere in the world in 2-10 minutes, depending on internet speed). And it goes Customs free.

But the moment someone requests it as a physical DVD copy of my LEGO guide to be mailed to them... I have to fill out the necessary Customs form and ship it to them, and they have to pay any duty that is required to ship to their country.

So there is a BIG loophole in things produced in one country and shipped free to another country. This needs to stop!!
    Last edited by Gistok; November-06-12 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Might be the first time I agreed, but you do have to be careful to not start a trade war.
    Wouldn't we already be in a trade war if China is guilty of copy-wright infringement and defective products? In a sense?

One of the biggest software fiascos in the history of computers happened this summer at British NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK and BANK OF SCOTLAND.... where over 10 million customers were unable to access their accounts for almost a week... because of a computer scheduling error... that points its' finger at inexperienced workers in India...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...st-it-meltdown

This was a wakeup call for many corporations around the world that have outsourced jobs to India...

I don't think that Detroit should go back to being a complete manufacturing town. Manufacturing could be included but lets have more indpedent small businesses that include design, art, software/hardware, accounting and law firms, and agriculture.

How's that Economy Doing?
    After that 1.8 TRILLION DOLLAR bailout?