Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Punishment For Students In The EAA School District - No Lunch

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So this is what saving Detroit from Detroiters looks like.

This is bullshit of course, but I'm sure someone will torture logic to defend this and blame it on "the grapethrowers" or "clownsil" somehow.

If you read the article you will see that the students would/could have lunch - but they had to have it provided by their homes. They were throwing away the school-provided lunches because they did not value that food.

I think the "punishment" absolutely fit the crime. Of course, I am a product of Catholic schools and they are famous for the discipline they value and instill.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    So this is what saving Detroit from Detroiters looks like.

This is bullshit of course, but I'm sure someone will torture logic to defend this and blame it on "the grapethrowers" or "clownsil" somehow.
    Yep.

My thing is, first off, the EAA school district was supposed to include all of Michigan's lowest performing schools, and not just former DPS schools. Two, the purpose of creating the EAA was to et away from the half-ass backward administrative culture of DPS.

If you're bringing over the same administrative mindset at DPS to manage this new district [[such as that idiot Tyrone Winfrey who embarassed us on Fox News), then what was the point of removing the schools in the first place? DPS still has to pay for the schools over the next few decades anyway [[including the upgrades to Mumford).

Fortunately, if PA4 is repealed, the judge who gave some power back to the school board will reconsider Roberts' decision to put these schools in a new district. If we don't have any other solutions besides unethical and arguably illegal lab experiments to fix Detroit and DPS' problems, then bring on the bankruptcy judge.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-06-12 at 01:11 PM.

The get their free lunches, have multiple food fights with their free lunch, solution = no more free lunch for a while until they learn to appreciate what they're given. The complaining grandma seems like part of the problem not the solution.

I don't blame the council, but I sure do blame the kids. Where I come from, you never, ever, ever, ever, ever let food go to waste. If my parents -- who grew up in an impoverished country with over 60% poverty -- saw me involved in this, they would have given me nothing but broccoli for a day.

"numerous food fights"

That's kinda funny.

Who here remembers when they used to dim the lights in the school auditorium and everyone, EVERYBODY would start making "spooky" noises?

Regardless of how the kids behaved, as long as the EAA participates in the National School Lunch Program, it is required by Federal Law that schools serve a minimum amount of food to their students everyday. The majority of the cost for the food is subsidized by the Federal Government anyway, not the school district.

Should we just ignore federal law now too?
    Last edited by 313WX; November-06-12 at 11:39 PM.

313, you do have a point. And while I share your position that the rule of law trumps my own position, I wish there were a way to give the kids what they need without feeding the false sense of entitlement that seems to be indicated by kids who are wasting food.