Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Big chains, Is this a sign of something big?

Now there is a thread announcing the MooseJaw store opening downtown, however I want to put a light on this development.

Name:  moosejaw.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  10.6 KB

Is this the beginning of more larger retailers recognizing Detroit as a market to do business in?

I saw the MooseJaw people preparing the store and I was amazed seeing them scurry about. Prior to MooseJaw, Ogla's opened in Compuware and that was a big deal in my mind.
    Name:  olga.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  13.9 KB
    Ben and Jerry's opening downtown has fed my sweet tooth. And, soon to open is Buffalo Wild Wings as they are completely renovating the Odd Fellows Building. It looks like they'll be opening soon. Also on a major scale, Whole Food Market is building a store in midtown. I attended the ground breaking and met the CEO. He spoke glowingly about Detroit.
    Name:  wholefoods.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  11.6 KB

Now some years ago, Hard Rock took a chance on Detroit and it looks like business is good. Prior to Hard Rock the only chains to open in Detroit [[that I remember) were in the Renaissance Center, stores like the Limited and maybe some others.

Also, it has been reported that Tim Hortons is opening stores in Detroit neighborhoods, they recently opened in Highland Park.

So in short, this might be a sign that some more big boys will take a chance on the big D.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Now there is a thread announcing the MooseJaw store opening downtown, however I want to put a light on this development.
    Moosejaw is a temporary, weekend-only holiday store. All it means is that Gilbert has been working the phones for favors to fill the Woodward emptiness during the holidays.

Though, who knows. There's a giant megathread celebrating the pop-up outlet. Imagine if an actual permanent store opened downtown. There would probably be a ticker tape parade and national holiday.

I would love to see more clothing and sport apparel pop up stores downtown. Get rid of that Jazz Liqour Store. City need to have stricter zoning laws for downtown to prevent other liquor stores, lounges, and bars from opening in a retail district

As Bham says get excited when an actual permanent retail store opens. As far as B & J. that is a Goodwill project paying no rent, although I imagine it's a nice tax writeoff for both Compuware and B & J. Compuware contacted Olga's with a sweetheart deal rather than have the space sit empty. We all know how much was given to Whole Foods.

Actually, get excited when a retail store opens and remains open for at least a year and doesn't go the way of Athletes Foot, etc.
    Last edited by 401don; November-05-12 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see more clothing and sport apparel pop up stores downtown. Get rid of that Jazz Liqour Store. City need to have stricter zoning laws for downtown to prevent other liquor stores, lounges, and bars from opening in a retail district
    What's your problem with Jazz, Stasu? Would you rather have an empty storefront instead? They are perfectly situated to cater to the Woodward loft community and they have a clean store. You've complained about the people hanging outside before, but all I've seen is people at the bus stop. You can't blame that on them. Every business downtown can't be the coffee shops that you are always wishing for.

A liquor store is just like the rest of the stores downtown. They sell products. What's wrong with taking a break for a cold one or a shot. Detroit is not Lancaster, PA.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-06-12 at 08:37 AM.

True ,B&J did get a good deal , I'm sure Olga's and Moosejaw did also . However I doubt BWW did, they are rebuilding their building and taking a chance themselves .
    I'm sure they got it cheap , but it's still a chance .
    I'm sure the Hudson didn't get all that good of a deal.
    The bottom line is all of these companies are taking a chance, their names are out there and with the current business , very few companies are willing to take the risk .
    The only way Detroit's center will grow is when successful local and national businesses and companies take a chance and say , "ok it's time to take a chance on Detroit".
    Once they see other companies willing to moving in and are becoming successful they will move in .
    No business person wants to be left behind and loose out , everyone wants too be "there" when it really takes off so they can have bragging rights .
    I feel if the current trends continues in the next 5-10 Detroit will be a VERY better place .
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As Bham says get excited when an actual permanent retail store opens. As far as B & J. that is a Goodwill project paying no rent, although I imagine it's a nice tax writeoff for both Compuware and B & J. Compuware contacted Olga's with a sweetheart deal rather than have the space sit empty. We all know how much was given to Whole Foods.

Actually, get excited when a retail store opens and remains open for at least a year and doesn't go the way of Athletes Foot, etc.

The bottom line is all of these companies are taking a chance, their names are out there and with the current business , very few companies are willing to take the risk .
    The only way Detroit's center will grow is when successful local and national businesses and companies take a chance and say , "ok it's time to take a chance on Detroit".
    Once they see other companies willing to moving in and are becoming successful they will move in)

My feeling exactly. Whatever it takes to move Detroit forward after so many years of blight I'm good.

I think that Somerset doing their quarterly store means that they're looking at Detroit and telling their merchants the prospects for opening stores downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Once they see other companies willing to moving in and are becoming successful they will move in)

My feeling exactly. Whatever it takes to move Detroit forward after so many years of blight I'm good.

I think that Somerset doing their quarterly store means that they're looking at Detroit and telling their merchants the prospects for opening stores downtown.
    National chain merchants don't take chances. They sit and watch a market for years and wait until their potential [[locally-owned) competition are successful before they move into an area. The only "chance" the chains take is making sure the demographic and income models match their criteria.

As for all that "success" that chains bring?

Numerous studies have concluded that buying local vis-a-vis chains keeps more dollars in the local economy, generates extra economic activity, and supports more jobs--with spending no additional money. Take, for one example, a study conducted by the Maine Center for Economic Policy, which found:

The study found that every $100 spent at locally owned businesses contributes an additional $58 to the local economy compared to $33 when the same amount is spent at national chains.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Busi...ates-jobs.html

In Cumberland County, Maine [[pop. 282,000), a 10 percent shift in spending from national chain to locally-owned translates into an extra $127 million in economic activity, and 874 additional jobs.

Last I checked, Detroit needs economic activity and jobs.

A lotta poor man make a five dollar bill, Keep him happy all the time.

Chains or no chains, long term or short term, got a deal or no special deal, I'm glad to see a business in those previous vacate locations.

It looks like The Detroit Shoppe is moving into the temporary Somerset location.

If we can get some retail in the building where the flee market was going, some in the buildings at Capital Park and some in the buildings at the other end of the block from the Whitney then we're saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What's your problem with Jazz, Stasu? Would you rather have an empty storefront instead? They are perfectly situated to cater to the Woodward loft community and they have a clean store. You've complained about the people hanging outside before, but all I've seen is people at the bus stop. You can't blame that on them. Every business downtown can't be the coffee shops that you are always wishing for.
    I had never said that there should be an influx of coffee shops on Merchants Row. One is just needed. One is opening at Campus Martius. That is satifying to me. I don't have anything against Jazz Liquor Store. It is not a right fit for the location. I don't buy into the "Any store is better than no store" concept. Party store breeds loiterers which that store has hanging on the outside. I don't know how you don't see them unless you are walking on the other side of the street. It is true that there is a bus stop a few feet away from the store. The stop, however, is not in front of the store where the loiterers are sitting. They sometimes sit in front of the empty storefront next door while harrassing passerbyers asking them for money or just harrassing them. I would rather see pop ups such as Moosejaw and other retail opening in those store fronts. Don't allow something to open in a storefront that would chase other potential retail away. There is already a liquor store on Broadway just around the corner.

Is Ben and Jerry's franchised or corporate? I'd love to see a large, national chain, corporate-owned retail/restaurant open downtown. I think Hard Rock is the only one. Olga's and Moosejaw are both local and semi-regional companies, and BDubs is a local franchise as well. It's great to have the locals, but when you see national corporate chains moving in that generally means there are numbers to support the growth. Whole Foods in Midtown is pretty big for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    A liquor store is just like the rest of the stores downtown. They sell products. What's wrong with taking a break for a cold one or a shot. Detroit is not Lancaster, PA.
    If you logic was the case there would be a liquor store on Kercheval in the village in Grosse Pointe next to starbucks or caribou. There would be a liquor store on Old Woodward near Maple in Birmingham, and there would be a liquor store on Main Street in Royal Oak next door to Barnes and Noble.

We were not talking about Grosse Pointe, Birmingham, or Royal Oak. We were talking about Downtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    We were not talking about Grosse Pointe, Birmingham, or Royal Oak. We were talking about Downtown Detroit.
    Downtown Detroit is trying to have a thriving retail district such as those that I had named are. I would had preferred that the Jazz store opened on Library Street. I just dont like the main retail distrct being flooded with bars and liquor stores. 34th street in New York has much more shopping than liquor stores and bars.

Downtown Detroit is trying to have a thriving retail district such as those that I had named are. I would had preferred that the Jazz store opened on Library Street. I just dont like the main retail distrct being flooded with bars and liquor stores. 34th street in New York has much more shopping than liquor stores and bars.
    That's perfect a bar right by the Skillman Library and the YMCA.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-06-12 at 06:25 PM.

but if you took a square mile survey, I bet the number of bars around 34th is higher than in a similar area in Detroit.

by big chain, I was thinking this:

Name:  big chain.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  45.6 KB

What if Filene's Basement opened a store downtown? A huge one stop discount clothing store.
    Name:  filenes.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  11.1 KB

Filene's is gone [[along with Sym's). Their website seems to think someone will resurrect the brands [[I doubt it):
    We would like to thank all of our customers for your continued support.

Although our stores are currently closed, we expect the famous Syms and Filene's Basement brands to continue on. If you would like to be informed of any future re-launch please provide us with your contact information here.
    If you are interested in purchasing the rights to the Company's brands, trademarks and other intangible assets please contact:
    Linda Flynn - 201-902-9600 ext. 343

on a similar note, I'd love to see Century 21 open a store downtown. I think it is actually NYC's favorite clothing store for REAL shopping rather than window shopping

http://www.c21stores.com

GUSHI Guest

Real estate office, lol

If downtown Detroit fills up with chains then it'll be dead again before it ever revives.