Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Of these two criminals, which is the purse snatcher and which is the check forger?

That reminds me of the show what would you do. I think they showed a black man chasing a white guy. Now the assumption was the black guy was chasing the white to do some harm or rob him, but actually the white guy stole something and the black guy was chasing him down to get it back. Of course whites never considered that They just assumed the black guy was in the wrong.

Next question: why is the bond for the robbery suspect less than that of the check forger?

Reminds me of this one:
    Name:  convicted-felon.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  44.6 KB

JVB Guest

They both look like young punks to me, not sure how you would determine which committed what crime though. I think the fact that they are obvious mugshots makes them both look equally criminal.

It is very, very difficult to eliminate internalized prejudice. In many ways, it's like trying to forget that you were burned by a hot stove.

But what we can do is recognize prejudice for what it is, realize it is there, and choose to let your logical mind supersede emotional reactions and choose to suspend judgment without more information.

But yes, brizee, I agree. It's a bitch, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Next question: why is the bond for the robbery suspect less than that of the check forger?
    That's a damn good question.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    That's a damn good question.
    The Judge will consider things other than the crime when determining bond. For instance, if one of them were on probation for bank robbery, we could expect his bond to be higher. Maybe not the answer some people suspected, but then - that's a whole different kind of "internalized prejudice".

See, when I read it, I just assumed that the white guy was the robber and the black guy had the forged check, because it was left to right and that's the order of the story. I just went back to the story and actually read the names and matched them up again, and I was right, lol. Kinda funny though when you think about it. I bet a lot of people made the wrong assumption! But good point about the bond! I hope they have different histories that warrant the different bond. I hope.

Originally Posted by iheartthed

Because we have to protect our national banking institutions, we can always get more citizens. A woman I worked with had her purse stolen, while filling out a deposit slip, @ a bank in Southgate. The perp was white and aprehanded. Having lived around white people, I wouldn't put anything past them.

the one on the left looks lumpen. His buddy on the right is clearly the proletariat

JVB Guest

Guys I already posted why his bond was higher - he was already on probation for bank robbery. Check him out on OTIS. It's amazing to me that he could have gotten just probation for robbing a bank in the first place, but yeah that's why his bond is higher, not because he's black.