Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Good Jewish Deli's in Detroit City Limits

Hello all , I'm familiar with Detroit rich Jewish history and know that Detroit had a huge Jewish population.
    After living in LA so long when I had the urge I would just go to canter's or Jerry's on Beverly .
    My question is I'm sure Detroit had many Jewish Deli's and was wondering if there are any good Jewish Deli's left in the city .
    Craving potato pancakes !

I don't know about Jewish Delis, but if it's potato pancakes you're craving head to Hamtramck!

Is Lou's Finer Deli still over on 6 Mile?

Don't know how Kosher they keep but Gateway Deli has good corned beef!
    http://www.gatewaydelifoods.com/Abou...etroit-MI.html

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Hello all , I'm familiar with Detroit rich Jewish history and know that Detroit had a huge Jewish population.
    After living in LA so long when I had the urge I would just go to canter's or Jerry's on Beverly .
    My question is I'm sure Detroit had many Jewish Deli's and was wondering if there are any good Jewish Deli's left in the city .
    Craving potato pancakes !
    You may want to rename the thread A Good Jewish Deli that is the shortest distance from the city limits.

"I don't know about Jewish Delis, but if it's potato pancakes you're craving head to Hamtramck!"

Better yet, The Dakota Inn!

Do you want Latkes or plain old potato pancakes? There are a few places that do decent pancakes in Hamtramck. Don't eat anything from the Dakota Inn, to paraphrase a great quote low grade dog food tastes better.
    If you want real Jewish Latkes you are SOL in the city and have to go to Southfield.

"Don't eat anything from the Dakota Inn, to paraphrase a great quote low grade dog food tastes better."

You have NO idea what you're talking about, but keep going anyway.

You are going to have to go to the burbs, specifically Oak Park, Southfield and West Bloomfield. The burbs are named in order of distance from downtown Detroit. If you want specific Deli names, let me know.

Lou's has two locations in Detroit and one in Southfield. Still good, too, but no more knishes.

http://www.lousdeli.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Don't eat anything from the Dakota Inn, to paraphrase a great quote low grade dog food tastes better."

You have NO idea what you're talking about, but keep going anyway.
    Being of German decent I do know what food of fatherland should taste like! Were you ever able to go to the Little Cafe now there was place that did bavarian cuisine properly! The last time I ate at the DI my wife and I both had to send back our meals the german potato salad did not even look like it had a potato in it the main course for both of us was STONE cold. When we did get meals back I almost puked the meat was pretty much rancid! I have never had such LOUSY food anywhere in the metropolitan area!
    So to answer your question YES I do know what I am talking about.

Gateway Deli downtown [[in the old Money Tree space on Fort) does a good job. They originally started in Southfield, opened downtown then I believe closed their Southfield location. Their latkes are fine [[although the deep fried variety). They do have matzoh ball soup. Hygrade Deli on Michigan Avenue west of I-96 has great corned beef and crusty rye. They do not have latkes or matzoh ball soup however. It is owned by the son of the owner of the old Billy's Deli on Livernois north of Seven Mile, a mainstay of the Jewish community in that area before everyone fled during the mid to late 60s.

It's not Detroit but there is a great deli called Uncle Harry's in St. Clair Shores.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    It's not Detroit but there is a great deli called Uncle Harry's in St. Clair Shores.
    And they are only located a little under 2 miles from the city limits.

Thank everyone for all the good ideas .I knew that the Jewish community moved north and west in the city and beyond , so I had an idea that oak park
    [[ 10 mile area) and Southfield, and even Bloomfield .
    I will check out oak park and southfield,I was just wondering if there was a
    "go to place" the was well know , famous and good !
    I'm sure you guys can related when you have food urges .
    Thanks again for the suggestions !

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Being of German decent I do know what food of fatherland should taste like! Were you ever able to go to the Little Cafe now there was place that did bavarian cuisine properly! The last time I ate at the DI my wife and I both had to send back our meals the german potato salad did not even look like it had a potato in it the main course for both of us was STONE cold. When we did get meals back I almost puked the meat was pretty much rancid! I have never had such LOUSY food anywhere in the metropolitan area!
    So to answer your question YES I do know what I am talking about.
    p69rrh51, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience @ DI. I have eaten there on numerous occaisions, with friends, and though the food doesn't fit what I would consider "authentic" German food, your "rancid" and "lousy" descriptions of the fare there are a bit over the top. As far as restaurants in Hamtown go, authentic Polish food, including potato pancakes, left YEARS ago with the Polish migration to 23 mile & Van Dyke. I know what you mean about ethnic backgrounds and decent. I can't ever recall my family sitting down to a meal of "pickle on a stick".

Hygrade Restaurant & Deli, great family owned, Jewish deli. This place is right out of the 40's. Great food, homemade soups, cranky [[but nice) owner making the sandwiches. Home-made soup is awesome.

Close to downtown and I-75.

3640 Michigan Ave
    Detroit, MI 48216
    [[313) 894-6620

23 mile and Van Dyke ! yikes ! Were people trying to leave the city or the state ?!
    Yikes !
    @ PCN thanks I will check it out .

"Hygrade Restaurant & Deli, great family owned, Jewish deli. This place is right out of the 40's. Great food, homemade soups, cranky [[but nice) owner making the sandwiches. Home-made soup is awesome."

I 2nd the motion, but I'm sure someone here will disagree. Also try the ham place, [[Yes I KNOW that's NOT Jewish), next door. The food is good there too, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    23 mile and Van Dyke ! yikes ! Were people trying to leave the city or the state ?!
    Good response. If I were on my way to 23 mile and Van Dyke for Polish food [[or anything, for that matter) I may as well just go to Poland. Just about as far and way more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    p69rrh51, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience @ DI. I have eaten there on numerous occaisions, with friends, and though the food doesn't fit what I would consider "authentic" German food, your "rancid" and "lousy" descriptions of the fare there are a bit over the top. As far as restaurants in Hamtown go, authentic Polish food, including potato pancakes, left YEARS ago with the Polish migration to 23 mile & Van Dyke. I know what you mean about ethnic backgrounds and decent. I can't ever recall my family sitting down to a meal of "pickle on a stick".
    I know the DI is not completely authentic, but most ethnic restaurants today have to deviate from their standard fare. In the case of the DI when your german potato salad comes out as a soup and the meat makes one nauseous you have to wonder what is going on in the kitchen. I have had lots a unappealing meals but that meal was the ONLY meal I have ever had in this area that made me sick to my stomach. I was extremely disappointed mainly because the DI is one of the few spots I could get Spatan on tap.
    My grandmother used to pickle her own sauerkraut and would make any traditional german dish you wanted. My father loved pickled pigs feet, we always had a variety of sausages in the fridge growing up, and we ate at the Little Cafe at least once a month.

Have you ever eaten @ Richter's in Dearborn, or Hoppe's [[SP?) as it was back in the day? How would rate those? Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing authentic, high-end German cooking. In high school, I had a close Italian friend who's mother did some serious cooking. I have a hard time going to commercial Italian restaurants as well. I'm taking this thread off of the original subject.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Good response. If I were on my way to 23 mile and Van Dyke for Polish food [[or anything, for that matter) I may as well just go to Poland. Just about as far and way more interesting.
    While much of Macomb County can be a bit boring, one can find something interesting. Poobert just dismissing 23 and Van Dyke because its in the burbs is wrong. The Packard Proving Grounds are a very important part of the history of one last auto manufacturers to make all of their automobiles within the city of Detroit. The proving grounds just happen to be located on Van Dyke just south of 23 and are well worth the trip!!
    Attached Images Attached Images                  

I totally agree!

Packard Proving Grounds? Weren't we talking about Jewish Deli's?
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-06-12 at 08:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast