Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Windsor, ON Affluent Areas?

What are the affluent neighborhoods of the Windsor area, including high-end malls/shopping areas, residential, etc.?

My wife and I are looking for some nice areas to explore over there.

I suggest that you check out Walkerville...historic with wonderful architecture.

http://www.walkervilletimes.com/virt...rtual_tour.htm

Two main attractions to see:

Hiram Walker/Canadian Club Heritage Center
    http://www.canadianclubwhisky.com/ho...eritage_center

And during December, Willistead Manor is open for tours.
    http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/...ges/Tours.aspx

Walkerville is great - Kildare and Devonshire north of Willistead Park, Willistead Crescent, and then Kildare and Devonshire south of Willistead Park.

Also Riverside - drive east on Riverside Drive for a few miles. Nice views back to Detroit and Belle Isle, and some great houses. Favourite side streets are Prado Place and Ford just south of Riverside Drive. Not spectacular on a Detroit scale, but very pretty streets.

Victoria and Ouelette street in the area just north of Cabana Road are sort of the Windsor version of Palmer Woods. Take the tunnel over, go up Ouelette to where it turns into Dougall, left on Beals, Medina or Granada.

The main shopping in Windsor is Devonshire Mall, and its closer to downtown Detroit than the Somerset Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Walkerville is great - Kildare and Devonshire north of Willistead Park, Willistead Crescent, and then Kildare and Devonshire south of Willistead Park.

Also Riverside - drive east on Riverside Drive for a few miles. Nice views back to Detroit and Belle Isle, and some great houses. Favourite side streets are Prado Place and Ford just south of Riverside Drive. Not spectacular on a Detroit scale, but very pretty streets.

Victoria and Ouelette street in the area just north of Cabana Road are sort of the Windsor version of Palmer Woods. Take the tunnel over, go up Ouelette to where it turns into Dougall, left on Beals, Medina or Granada.

The main shopping in Windsor is Devonshire Mall, and its closer to downtown Detroit than the Somerset Collection.
    Walkerville smells like barley half the day from Hiram Walker's distillery. A lot of the city's poor live in tiny apartments in converted triplexes along Gladstone, Moy, etc. Ever wonder why there's no major grocery chain in Walkerville?

Riverside Drive offers some nice waterfront views, so it's a given that you'll find some million dollar mansion along the riverfront, but it is intermingled with geared to income high rises along Riverside Drive and lower income apartment buildings along Wyandotte Street.

The 3400 block area of Victoria is a higher end area of Roseland Golf Course. Gundy Park Crescent off of Victoria is even higher end with newer bradstone facade houses selling for at least twice as much as those on Victoria. If you can find anything under million, it's very unusual and you are getting a real steal in Gundy. In fact, anywhere around Roseland Golf Course is good. Your neighbours will generally be a mix between middle to upper income earners.

Devonshire Mall is the closet thing Windsor has to Somerset Mall maybe. [Sorry, Somerset Mall would never take in a Dollarama and Target as a tenant]. But, nothing in Windsor comes even close to Somerset Collection. Windsor doesn't have a Louis Vutton store or what you'd expect to see on Rodeo Drive or in Somerset Collection. So if you want to drop $10K on a suitcase at Louis Vutton or $1K on a single dress shirt at Nieman Marcus, you're gonna have to go to Somerset Collection.

Try Erie or Ottawa street for exploration.

How about the high rise apartments spread along the coast line? With their dramatic views of downtown Detroit I would think they would qualify as affluent, albeit they do not comprise community. Does anyone know what a riverfront face upper floor apartment costs?

When it comes to quality, Walkerville definitely has the edge as it is filled with fabulous and luxuriant houses. It also scores high on the charm factor and being on the east end it is separated from the industrial pollution emanating from the Zug Island and downriver steel operations.

The prices vs. quality ratio is great. Along with its security and grace I am amazed that it is so underpriced. Other than the aforementioned Hiram Walker aroma I see few drawbacks. If I lived in Windsor, I would choose look there first.

There is also an interesting neighborhood, not sure if it has a name, of interesting and quality houses just east of the sea of parking to the east of the art museum. Forum member Goat could speak to those. Surprisingly it has a less-than-desirable reputation in spite of the fact is walkable to downtown, the university and Windsor's lovely riverfront parks.

With Walkerville you get Albert Kahn.

811 Devonshire Road built in 1907 Walkerville Windsor, Ontario Canada.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

More Albert Kahn.

889 Kildaire Road built in 1908 Walkerville Windsor, Ontario Canada.

And George Mason.

A Mason & Rice design, 546-548 Devonshire Road built in 1890 Walkerville Windsor, Ontario Canada. One of three semi-detached home built for Hiram Walker & Sons on the block.

Those pics of Walkerville homes gave me a flashback to 20-25 years ago when there was a bar nearby called California Musical Roadhouse. The neighborhood was literally loaded with us ugly americans coming over to spoil the lush surroundings.

Ha! I remember California's. That place was a dive indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    There is also an interesting neighborhood, not sure if it has a name, of interesting and quality houses just east of the sea of parking to the east of the art museum. Forum member Goat could speak to those. Surprisingly it has a less-than-desirable reputation in spite of the fact is walkable to downtown, the university and Windsor's lovely riverfront parks.
    I think that is just downtown Windsor. The best houses were on Victoria Street, extending south from Wyandotte. There are also a few isolated great ones on Church and Pelissier worth tracking down, and some remnants that haven't been replaced by larger buildings on Ouellette. [[Seem to be out of data space so am posting links rather than photos)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southof...57623575679252

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southof...57623575679252

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southof...57594062236846

I've gone to a couple of house parties on Victoria [[decades ago). These homes were nothing short of amazing inside.