Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Klan HQ'd in Fraser?

I recall hearing about their presence up in the thumb during the Michigan Militia OKC stories but I don't think they're very high-profile here?;
    http://www.greenevillesun.com/story/304357

MIRepublic Guest

I did a little research, and according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups, there are three active chapters in Michigan, one in Fraser, one in Ironwood [[UP), and one in Monroe. I can't imagine any of them having more than a few dozen members, at the most. The one in Fraser has it's own website. The Fraser chapter is the one that publically endorsed the anti-Affirmative Action proposal that passed in 06.

Anyone remember when and how the chapter in Howell was ultimately dismembered?
    Last edited by MIRepublic; June-27-09 at 10:15 PM.

That Fraser website only lists a p.o. box in Fraser, so I wonder if they are really IN Fraser or just using a mailbox there? Fraser is very small and everyone kind of knows each other. I live nearby and have worked there for years and I think we would know if there was actually a HQ there. I'm thinking there may be a member there using the p.o. box.......

MIRepublic Guest

I was actually thinking much the same thing, that maybe they have a member who lives there that basically checks and distrubutes mail.

"Anyone remember when and how the chapter in Howell was ultimately dismembered?"

You may want to contact the Clarke library at Central Michigan University. They have some paper and other materials from that faction in Howell.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    That Fraser website only lists a p.o. box in Fraser, so I wonder if they are really IN Fraser or just using a mailbox there? Fraser is very small and everyone kind of knows each other. I live nearby and have worked there for years and I think we would know if there was actually a HQ there. I'm thinking there may be a member there using the p.o. box.......
    Detwa, very true... everyone does sort of know each other in Fraser. My sister and her family lives there. She's a teacher there and knows lots of folks in the community [[all of whom have had kids go to her middle/high school). I asked her, and she is unaware of any Klan activity, nor has she ever seen any hate type activity take place there.

I think that this PO box is just some anonymous [[and nefarious) persons PO box.... the term "Headquarters" is a misnomer in this case.

Right,Gistok, I find it to be very charming and it has certainly come a long way from about ten years ago. It used to be a place where I might believe they had a HQ there, lol, but recent years have blended the community quite nicely. I used to be scared to drive through there going back and forth to work! Now I hope to see more diversity in the teachers/administrators, since the student body has changed so much. I have a 7 year old that I am considering enrolling there since they're offering school of choice, but I would really like to see them address that soon. If your sister has any insight on that, I'd love to hear her thoughts, if you don't mind sharing them!

Its a little creepy to know a KKK member possibly lives there or nearby, but I guess you never really know what's going on in your neighbor's mind. As long as he keeps it to his or herself, I guess we shouldn't worry. I would certainly hate to make a wrong turn and stumble upon them in a meeting one night! That's why I think all of their actual meeting sites and headquarters are probably located way out in the boonies where no one would actually pass through without a purpose.

Detwa, also... back in day, the Fraser police were a very intimidating presence... no matter what race you were. It's nice that they've pretty much eliminated their Gestapo ways.

Buy American Guest

The hockey arena on Utica Road in Fraser took advantage of the community and built a practice building that was not code, not supposed to be in a residental area and was voted against about 5 years ago. Some palms were greased and some administrators looked the other way when permits for this building were handed out. Some in the community fought hard against this building when it was being erected. I understand that Fraser Hockey and the City made a settlement with Mulvey Gardens.

I lived in Fraser for over 30 years from '73 to '04. Never in all that time did I hear of any Klan activity, white supremists or any such thing. In the early years, there WAS a definite negative opinion of blacks and low income families [[regardless of race) however. It was pervasive in the police department and city administration. But over the years, things improved and there was at least tolerance if not total acceptance.

I still live very close by and have never seen anything to indicate that there is a Klan presence. If there is, they keep it very well hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I used to be scared to drive through there going back and forth to work!
    Scared of what? Someone saying hello to you?

I lived in Fraser from 1988 - 2005 [[parents still live there). It always seemed to be a very friendly community. The only people I know who were "scared" of driving through the town, were the folks who liked to drive too fast. Fraser was a notorious speed trap for years [[just ask my sister).