Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The Best Money Matty's Ever Wasted [Bridge-blocking proposal defeated- Lawsuits Next]

It seems the public-at-large didn't have a bad enough opinion of the man and his family...so Matty had to spend some of his son's inheritance insuring they'd be ridiculed and derided for generations to come...maybe indefinitely.

At least all of this money spent on lying wasn't totally in vain.

Really.

His wife is going to have to work some overtime trying to right those wrongs, so she can enter a room without hiding her face. Looking forward to seeing how she can altruize her way out of this mess!

Thanks for proving that being rich cannot make you any smarter, Matty!
    Last edited by Gannon; November-02-12 at 08:31 AM.

editThis worked out perfect ! I had some concerns that maybe voters weren't paying attention but this positive news makes me think different .
    I wanted to wait until after the election to say this but I hope matty crawls back under the rock he came from, he reminds me of gollum from Lord of the Rings , just creepy and he's just prove to everyone he is just as greedy as gollum.
    I was watching fox 2 news[[let it rip) last night and they had both sides of prop 6 on and it's just so clear, the guy for matty just made himself and the bridge company look bad.
    The weird thing is they interview some folks in Delray and some STILL didn't get it ?
    They think they'll still have to pay for it ?
    I have to think they aren't educating themselves on the facts , do a little research folks !it's not that hard and it wont happen again in Delray.
    Michigan tax payers are never going to pony up the money for a bridge again.
    quote from the free press :
    "The Moroun message seems to be playing best with those who pay little attention to politics. Proposal 6 was losing among men and women and among both Democrats and Republicans, but winning among those with an education of a high school diploma or less."
    I didn't vote for Snyder , but I do respect "most" of what he is doing for Michigan and Detroit .
    I loved it when he[[Snyder)asked "how many bridges has ANYONE EVER voted for ?"
    If you left it to the people to vote for a bridge none would ever get built .
    Also the reason we didn't need a vote is ,NO state/taxpayer money is being used , I also love when people sent questions in , one ask , "you've[[matty) spent 31 MILLION dollars on this and hardly none on all your properties ?"
    They asked "why not spend money on keeping up the Train station or your other properties ?"
    and he goes " we are putting a new roof on" we all know this is just for show he's owned the Train Station for years and NOW he wants to put a roof on ?
    It's like me inviting you to dinner and telling you "dinners on me" and you say "well i'm not sure, I think I'm still going to have to pay for this, oh and by the way can you pay for valet parking too "
    Looking forward to November 7 when this is all over !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; November-02-12 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Edit

I thought I was gloating in advance. Thanks for helping make me look tame, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    ...snip...
    I was watching fox 2 news[[let it rip) last night and they had both sides of prop 6 on and it's just so clear, the guy for matty just made himself and the bridge company look bad.
    The weird thing is they interview some folks in Delray and some STILL didn't get it ?
    They think they'll still have to pay for it ?
    I have to think they aren't educating themselves on the facts , do a little research folks !it's not that hard and it wont happen again in Delray....<snip>...
    I know some people who 'still don't get it'. Maroun and the forces of darkness have painted this in very simple terms. Some people are justifiably afraid of being taxed even more by the government. Matty's campaign is very smart. I haven't heard any polls -- but I will not be surprised if Maroun wins this.

I do hope that truth can win out over deception. I do hope that people hear Maroun's absurd ads, and open their eyes to realize that almost all political advertising is deception. I have faith that as the 'internet generation' replaces the 'TV generation', truth may be able to win over deception.

"I know some people who 'still don't get it'" "Jenny Dion, 39, a stay-at-home mom from Grand Blanc, said she will vote yes on Prop 6.
    "I don't want the bridge built just because it's not clear exactly who's going to pay for the bridge," she said
    , "And I think the money would be best spent on police and teachers."

Does she seriously think Canada is going to hand over money to MI for police & teachers? Amazing.

Because Matty sure as heck will not...excepting those private ones he keeps for his son's tutoring and protection.

$31M would have a gone a long way to fix up the Train Station.

I'm still hoping that if this thing goes down to the wire, the opposition presents images of the train station, the illegal second span to nowhere, the endless tie-ups on Fort, the illegal plaza, the contempt of court and jail time, and finally the illegal take-over of Riverside Park, all of the latter done at cost to taxpayers.

There was a man and his child killed on I-75 in one of the constant back-ups during rush hour. They are among many I would've honored with a poster ad during this time.

$31m PLUS all of the campaign contributions done to sway the legislature and judges...would've fixed a good many things in this town. And I'm not saying he had to spend on anyone else's properties...just clean up and make useful his own extensive holdings. Even the ones burned in the rush...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "I know some people who 'still don't get it'" "Jenny Dion, 39, a stay-at-home mom from Grand Blanc, said she will vote yes on Prop 6.
    "I don't want the bridge built just because it's not clear exactly who's going to pay for the bridge," she said
    , "And I think the money would be best spent on police and teachers."

Does she seriously think Canada is going to hand over money to MI for police & teachers? Amazing.
    I know it'll sound rather barbaric... but there was something to the idea that only property owners could vote. There are a lot of naive people out there who don't have critical skills. Its hard to be against universal suffrage, but sometimes I wonder if democratic government can survive itself. Whose political system is better. Langfang or Detroit?

"$31M would have a gone a long way to fix up the Train Station."

That's a drop in the bucket for a guy like Moron. The new expanded bridge is going to be worth billions in generated revenue. Not to mention if someone was clever enough, the money that could be made from refueling stations, restaurants, motels, hotels, etc., and the jobs created by those kinds of businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I thought I was gloating in advance. Thanks for helping make me look tame, Dave!
    My pleasure Gannon, I guess I came on a bit strong but I feel strongly when someone of means it taking advantage of EVERYONE in the region and 2 countries ? This is just FLAT OUT WRONG !!!
    I believe you'd be hard press finding ANYONE who thinks matty is a good guy for Detroit .
    I WOULD LOVE to hear from ANYONE, besides people on his payroll, who thinks this "gentleman" is good for our region.

OK , OK ,OK ,I'm done with my rate :-)

I just hope he paid that laid off Inkster policeman and the 1st grade teacher big bucks for making themselves look stooopid in the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    There was a man and his child killed on I-75 in one of the constant back-ups during rush hour. They are among many I would've honored with a poster ad during this time.
    As much as I too dislike the man... part of backups are due to the inadequacy of Customs/Border Patrol. I once sat thru a 2 hour traffic backup near Port Huron [[it started where I-69 merges into I-94)... because of the Customs tie-ups at the Blue Water Bridge border crossing... and I was just trying to head to Lakeport north of Port Huron.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    I just hope he paid that laid off Inkster policeman and the 1st grade teacher big bucks for making themselves look stooopid in the ads.
    polls may say one thing, but on election day, we'll have to see.. so many folks in urban Detroit are used to reflexively being against anything that a Republican is visibly for [[Snyder) and the resentment against Bing [[on both fronts, not completely unjustified), that I imagine most of the people voting Yes on 6 have little to no idea who Maroun is, his ownership of the bridge, his trucking company, the assortment of derelict buildings/property he owns, or his obstruction in fixing up the Gateway area. It's just, "these two guys we can't stand are for it, so it must be horrible"..
    Watching Fox 2's recent feature on the debate, Nolan Finley, for all his usual conservative bluster, came across as reasonable and fair; meanwhile Adolph Mongo should be ashamed for pandering to the worst in "don't trust them outsiders" ideology..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    polls may say one thing, but on election day, we'll have to see.. so many folks in urban Detroit are used to reflexively being against anything that a Republican is visibly for [[Snyder) and the resentment against Bing [[on both fronts, not completely unjustified), that I imagine most of the people voting Yes on 6 have little to no idea who Maroun is, his ownership of the bridge, his trucking company, the assortment of derelict buildings/property he owns, or his obstruction in fixing up the Gateway area. It's just, "these two guys we can't stand are for it, so it must be horrible"..
    Watching Fox 2's recent feature on the debate, Nolan Finley, for all his usual conservative bluster, came across as reasonable and fair; meanwhile Adolph Mongo should be ashamed for pandering to the worst in "don't trust them outsiders" ideology..
    I have butted heads with a few die-hard Democrats who are voting for prop 6 purely out of spite for Rick Snyder. When I tell them that the bridge is a major project that was pushed by Governor Granholm for 8 years, is overwhelmingly supported by Democratic leaders in Detroit and Lansing, and is only opposed by extreme right-wing, tea-party, Republicans, they still don't care.

I am not aware of any elected Democrat in the city of Detroit or the state of Michigan who does not support the new bridge. The new bridge is also supported by virtually every moderate Republican, and is only opposed by the extreme right wing of the Republican Party, and a few other sell-outs who have been bought out by a greedy billionaire who only cares about protecting his monopoly.

Many die-hard Democrat voters are willing to oppose all of their elected Democratic representatives, betray the very core principles that Democrats are supposed to stand for, and are instead choosing to align themselves with a greedy billionaire and the extreme right-wing Republican radicals, just because Governor Snyder and other moderate Republicans are supporting a Democratic initiative.

I can't understand how anybody could be so ignorant and bitter that they would rather abandon their principles and side with the most extreme opposition just because they can't deal with a situation where they win without making everybody else on the "other side" look like a loser. These are the same type of people who take joy in the fact that GW Bush didn't get Bin Laden just because it makes GWB look bad and Obama look good.

This type of radical partisanship is killing our city, our region, our state, and our country. When we can't even stand together on common ground and support each other in obvious win-win situations, there is little hope that the future will bring good things for any of us.

Look at what Gilbert has done for Detroit. Heck, even Ilitch, who I don't incredibly like, has done a lot compared to Matty.

Matty could be such a huge force for the revitalization of Detroit, but instead, he chooses to be a slumlord hellbent on protecting his monopoly at any cost.

Proposal Six is one of the most important things on our ballot, it really needs to fail. If it does fail, I will be very, very excited.

I wonder what will happen when Manny is gone. Will his son be an ogre as well? Maybe not. Maybe everything changes and the Maroun's become a civic minded family. Reminds me a little of the situation in Chicago with billionaire Bill Wirtz. He owned the Chicago Black Hawks hockey team and the fans hated him. They called him Dollar Bill because he wouldn't show home games on TV and let all the best players leave. When he died his son took over and everything changed for the better.

Mr. Moron is a Moron! His Proposal Six commercials prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I wonder what will happen when Manny is gone. Will his son be an ogre as well? Maybe not. Maybe everything changes and the Maroun's become a civic minded family. Reminds me a little of the situation in Chicago with billionaire Bill Wirtz. He owned the Chicago Black Hawks hockey team and the fans hated him. They called him Dollar Bill because he wouldn't show home games on TV and let all the best players leave. When he died his son took over and everything changed for the better.

I hope so, but I doubt it. Matthew [[Manuel's son) seems to basically be his father's foot solder.

Quote Originally Posted by 9606 Prest View Post
    Mr. Moron is a Moron! His Proposal Six commercials prove it!
    I'm so glad to hear that Prop 6 looks to be a loser. The public is slowly learning about political ads. The worse the ads, the more people are smarting up about being lied to.

Thus, a great liar like Maroun is doing a service to the community.

The good news for those opposing the enshrinement of Matty's monopoly in our state constitution is that his ads are having a negative effect.
    In talking with 2 separate family members from the west side of the state [[for what it's worth, both staunch pro-business Republicans) they are both voting "NO" due to their disgust with his ads.
    One got suspicious when all he was seeing was one side of the argument over and over and over on his TV, getting robo-call after call, and enough glossy flyers in his mail to wallpaper his 3 car garage.
    Some are falling for it. He is not. "I've been around too long to be blinded by this campaign," he told me.
    It's worth noting that this is an older gentleman who is vehemently opposed to the NITC. He was a sure fire "yes on 6" vote until just a week or so ago!

The other family member was also a "yes on 6" voter until she started doing her research [[which she always does for all proposals). She said she was shocked when she began to uncover the verifiable facts of the matter.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there, as many felt this would be a slam dunk for "the People Should Decide".

Shollin Guest

This guy is just unbelievable. I can't believe the new flyers he's peddling.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012110...text|FRONTPAGE

"This guy is just unbelievable. I can't believe the new flyers he's peddling."

Why is there any doubt left in anyone's mind that this guy is a self-interest POS?

Here is a guy that commandeered public land, closed it off WITHOUT authorization, under the guise of "Homeland Security". He successfully snuffed out a 45 year old bait shop business by cutting off access to it. Built unathorized freeway ramps, and refused to take them down, then wasted State money buy fighting it in courts. Rerouted truck traffic through residential streets, and on and on and on. And people still post "Gee, I'm not sure how I should vote?" What does he have to do? Walk into your living room and kick your dog in the jewels?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And people still post "Gee, I'm not sure how I should vote?" What does he have to do? Walk into your living room and kick your dog in the jewels?
    Now that is damn funny!

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I hope so, but I doubt it. Matthew [[Manuel's son) seems to basically be his father's foot solder.
    Yeah, but even the Kennedy's kept quiet their true feelings about Daddy Joe's alliances until he passed away. Sometimes the next generation is smarter than directly fighting the one with the deep pockets.

I don't expect it, but I would be mildly surprised to see it happen, and would gladly help him right his daddy's wrongs.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; November-04-12 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast