Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Angel's Night Patrol

In from another boring night from Angel's Night Patrol.

If you've never done it before, you should consider it.

I know it may be difficult for those with kids under 12 but everyone else should at least try it.

Kudos to you for participating and, thankfully, helping to make it boring. Boring is good. It just goes to show what a community can do when people work together.

it wasnt boring if you were a firefighter on the west side, working after 11pm.
    [[I volunteered to stay overnight on the 30th & 31st at Fort Wayne to help keep an eye out with the guards)

i had the scanner on and counted 5 working fires in 1.5hrs, all of them within an area bounded by Joy, Jeffries, Tireman, and Livernois. at least 3 were "going throughout" and the DFD was forced to take a defensive stance and let some of them burn due to structural collapse. all of them were closed out to a disposition of 021, which means blaze of suspicious origin.

in fact i heard more fires labelled 021 over the radio last night than in the past 3yrs.

there was also a serious commercial blg fire on Cary St, a dwelling at Dolphin & Acacia, vacant dwellings on Virgil, Bentler, and Eagle streets, and a commercial blg "going throughout" at Dexter & Tuxedo which was threatening nearby structures and called for a 2nd alarm just before 4am, and eventually went to a 3rd alarm.
    ALL of these were reported as 021's...suspected arson. [[and this is just a handful of the notable ones i heard reported over the course of the night; i nodded off several times).

i get the "Angels Night" thing, but when the firefighters themselves are still calling it "Devils Night," you have to wonder. the whole "Angels Night" campaign has an unintended effect of whitewashing what is still going on by broadcasting this supposed panacea that everything is ok now, and Devils Night has been wiped out and there is no more arson in Detroit on Halloween. Devils Nite has NOT been wiped out! just ask a firefighter!! Devils Nite is EVERY nite for them.

i've actually been the recipient of a snide/haughty remark from an Angels Nite volunteer once, because i was wearing a "Devils Night 2010" tshirt. what that person didnt realize is that those tshirts are made BY detroit firemen, and the profits go to the firemen's fund.

*also as usual, i heard several instances over the course of the night where arriving companies were searching for working hydrants, and advising by radio to enroute companies that two or more hydrants on scene are not working.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; November-01-12 at 12:31 PM.

Why do people insist on calling it "Angel's Night" when it's already called Devil's Night? I understand the whole trying to convey a positive message and forget about the past thing and all, but the night is what is it.

That's like I can call my Ford Contour a Mustang all I want, but everyone knows it's still a Contour. Calling it a Mustang doesn't really change the fact at hand.

The City of Detroit has been fudging the numbers since the 80's. The newspapers will never get an accurate count of actual fires to report. For many years, the City has not been counting garage, car, or trash fires, so naturally, the numbers go down.

There really wasn't a possibility of fudging the numbers in the 80s.

If you recall, there were numerous news trucks, some international, that would follow the trucks to the calls when Devil's Night was still a "big deal".

has anyone heard yet what the "offical" numbers are yet for 2012?

ive googled but i havent found anything yet.

No mention about Angel's Night or Devil's Night at all on DY this year. Is it all over?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    No mention about Angel's Night or Devil's Night at all on DY this year. Is it all over?
    It went well this year. Always a good time.

I'd love to hear everyone's theories who sets fire to homes, and why. I've always wondered. And I'm sure there isn't just one correct answer.
    Last edited by bust; November-04-15 at 03:22 PM.

Say all the ugliness you want about Kilpatrick, folks, but he did prove he could make that one infamous night of the year fairly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Say all the ugliness you want about Kilpatrick, folks, but he did prove he could make that one infamous night of the year fairly safe.

Who knew pocketing millions and not hiring firefighters or replacing equipment was the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I'd love to hear everyone's theories who sets fire to homes, and why. I've always wondered. And I'm sure there isn't just one correct answer.
    Yeah. There is a lot of back and forth on this thread-http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ely-in-Detroit read all, question all, and decide for yourself, but don't limit yourself to the arguments on this forum [[or any other source online). Check microfiche and resources at bookstores and libraries. You will get a rounder picture or feel of things. However, I'm more likely to trust the opinions and observations of someone who currently lives in the city within the last 15 years. http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015...rtment/401693/

And let's hope they aren't using Redpop as that does stain rugs pretty badhttp://archive.freep.com/article/201...re-pop-can-fax If anyone can come up with a better [[and more elaborate) Goldberg system-be creative and post one.

He did? I'm so clueless, I thought it was all of us who kept watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    He did? I'm so clueless, I thought it was all of us who kept watch.
    Kudos to those who did participate, but I have to ask why things were just not as noticeably safe prior to his "watch" [[and yes, it is glib of me to put it on him-like saying this was Obama, or that was Bush, or this was Hitler)? Even the blackout of 2003 was handled quite well.

I will add this: shortly after Kwame [[and no, I voted for Gil-who I already knew was corrupt- based on the "devil you know is better than..." principal) was elected, there was an incident in Rosedale Park that required me to call the police, and we got a prompt response. A year and half later, I had two guys screaming at each other right outside my house with one brandishing a a piece and the other taunting "Oh what, dude?! What!? You gonna shoot me. Is that what're gonna do? Huh?". When I called the cops twice, no one arrived that boring weekend night. Luckily, noone got shot.

Kudos to those who did participate, but I have to ask why things were just not as noticeably safe prior to his "watch" [[and yes, it is glib of me to put it on him-like saying this was Obama, or that was Bush, or this was Hitler)? Even the blackout of 2003 was handled quite well.

I will add this: shortly after Kwame [[and no, I voted for Gil-who I already knew was corrupt- based on the "devil you know is better than..." principal) was elected, there was an incident in Rosedale Park that required me to call the police, and we got a prompt response. A year and half later, I had two guys screaming at each other right outside my house with one brandishing a a piece and the other taunting "Oh what, dude?! What!? You gonna shoot me. Is that what're gonna do? Huh?". When I called the cops twice, no one arrived that boring weekend night. Luckily, noone got shot.
    My condolences to noone. I hope he made it and had a speedy recovery.

HT you know you're crazy! I had to re-read that to get it........

Kudos to those who did participate, but I have to ask why things were just not as noticeably safe prior to his "watch"...
    Much as I hate to say it the media has made it a "cool" thing to do. Now if we could just do it all year...things might just turn around. It's only safe in numbers...the first time I went out it was a little creepy being one of only a few out there. I still wouldn't do it without a huge, reliable, well-equipped truck and a few friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Much as I hate to say it the media has made it a "cool" thing to do. Now if we could just do it all year...things might just turn around. It's only safe in numbers...the first time I went out it was a little creepy being one of only a few out there. I still wouldn't do it without a huge, reliable, well-equipped truck and a few friends.
    Hey, GP, Thanx for volunteering and trying to make a difference. You don't just talk the talk, you walk the walk.