Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No joke! Study the crime map carefully...not a single sq mile without shootings

Palmer Woods/Green Acres is one.

There are a few honorable mentions on the far west side, but that have one on the mile road.

Very Sad. Ya gotta be stinking rich or very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Palmer Woods/Green Acres is one.

There are a few honorable mentions on the far west side, but that have one on the mile road.

Very Sad. Ya gotta be stinking rich or very lucky.
    Keep in mind that map only shows MAJOR crimes.

I imagine crimes such as property theft are likely a huge issue in Palmer Woods/Green Acres.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Keep in mind that map only shows MAJOR crimes.

I imagine crimes such as property theft are likely a huge issue in Palmer Woods/Green Acres.
    I know, it shows shootings. This is what the poster said in his original post. Don't know about you but I would rather be burgled than shot. Actually I'd like neither if I can get away with it.

The first shooting on that map I clicked on was located 1.5 miles away from the actual location. Accurate map!

I know, it shows shootings. This is what the poster said in his original post. Don't know about you but I would rather be burgled than shot. Actually I'd like neither if I can get away with it.
    I don't think you have to worry too much about being the victim of random gun violence, so I'd be more worried about being burglarized if I were you. It'd be nice if they'd split it out by random shooting versus non-random.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't think you have to worry too much about being the victim of random gun violence, so I'd be more worried about being burglarized if I were you. It'd be nice if they'd split it out by random shooting versus non-random.
    You don't know much about me. After all I must be a crackhead to be a City Planner around here! I get asked "You smoking crack?" on a regular basis!

I would agree that gun violence isn't a major fear of mine. The main thing that prevents me from considering Detroit residency is fear of burglary and the like.

There were three shootings on the same night on my block last week......not a one of them showed up on the map!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    There were three shootings on the same night on my block last week......not a one of them showed up on the map!
    Maybe they happened AFTER Police Station hours of operation?

You don't know much about me. After all I must be a crackhead to be a City Planner around here! I get asked "You smoking crack?" on a regular basis!
    I think you're good as long as you aren't mistaken for the crack dealer...

Depends where you're walking. Several of these appear random:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...t-week-Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Depends where you're walking. Several of these appear random:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...t-week-Detroit
    Of course there are random situations. But you're using anecdotal information to make a general statement.

On a tangent note, Michael Bloomberg just announced that there hasn't been a single murder in New York since the hurricane hit. Maybe Detroit needs a hurricane?

Of course there are random situations. But you're using anecdotal information to make a general statement.

On a tangent note, Michael Bloomberg just announced that there hasn't been a single murder in New York since the hurricane hit. Maybe Detroit needs a hurricane?
    Yes I am but it certainly appears many more robberies are accompanied by shootings than in the past. Are these people who are being robbed at gunpoint resisting arrest?

As to the tangent, maybe Detroit should just turn off ALL the streetlights. [[Just kidding)

[QUOTE=iheartthed;347809]Of course there are random situations. But you're using anecdotal information to make a general statement.

HaHaHaHaHa... Oh wait, you're serious? This is only one such news story. There are many. People firing into crowds, into the fronts of houses, people stripped naked and shot through the backs of their heads.

"Of course there are random situations."

It's starting to become the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As to the tangent, maybe Detroit should just turn off ALL the streetlights. [[Just kidding)
    Luckily for you, you may get half of your wish soon.

Shollin Guest

or maybe the bodies got washed away with the flood waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    HaHaHaHaHa... Oh wait, you're serious? This is only one such news story. There are many. People firing into crowds, into the fronts of houses, people stripped naked and shot through the backs of their heads.

Why would you think the news report is a good proxy for how many shootings there are/aren't in Detroit? The news 1) does not cover all shootings, half the shootings or even a fourth of them, and 2) the news makes its money by emphasizing sensational stories, and might repeat a single story over the span of multiple news broadcasts. Even if Detroit had the lowest murder rate in the country the news would STILL talk about murder everyday because that's what sells.

Random shootings are not the norm, have never been the norm, and will probably never be the norm.
    Last edited by iheartthed; November-01-12 at 01:41 PM.

Why would you think the news report is a good proxy for how many shootings there are/aren't in Detroit? The news 1) does not cover all shootings, half the shootings or even a fourth of them, and 2) the news makes its money by emphasizing sensational stories, and might repeat a single story over the span of multiple news stories. Even if Detroit had the lowest murder rate in the country the news would STILL talk about murder everyday because that's what sells.

Random shootings are not the norm, have never been the norm, and will probably never be the norm.
    I noticed that by clicking several dots on the map in the Warrendale area that there were duplicate descriptions for some of these dots.

[QUOTE=iheartthed;347836]

Why would you think the news report is a good proxy for how many shootings there are/aren't in Detroit? The news 1) does not cover all shootings, half the shootings or even a fourth of them, and 2) the news makes its money by emphasizing sensational stories, and might repeat a single story over the span of multiple news stories. Even if Detroit had the lowest murder rate in the country the news would STILL talk about murder everyday because that's what sells.

Except these aren't "random". The wacko shooting @ people driving around is "random". These are specific shootings with criminal intent. School kids getting off of busses are being robbed and shot. People walking down the street get shot up because some clown has a beef with someone in the general proximity, people shot in the face then their purses stolen. Your response post rubbed me the wrong way because it was so dismissive of what happened. No denying "man bites dog" sells papers, but to call these "random" shootings based on "anecdotal" information is nonsense. Even the News won't stoop so low as to make this stuff up. Not yet anyway.

Except these aren't "random". The wacko shooting @ people driving around is "random". These are specific shootings with criminal intent. School kids getting off of busses are being robbed and shot. People walking down the street get shot up because some clown has a beef with someone in the general proximity, people shot in the face then their purses stolen. Your response post rubbed me the wrong way because it was so dismissive of what happened. No denying "man bites dog" sells papers, but to call these "random" shootings based on "anecdotal" information is nonsense. Even the News won't stoop so low as to make this stuff up. Not yet anyway.
    Okay, so I can see how my comments might sound dismissive, but that's not my intent. I just want to emphasize the difference between something being likely to happen to you and something that just happens too much. Shootings are something that just happen too much in Detroit. But just because you're in Detroit does not mean you are very likely to get shot. The probability of you being shot depends on a lot of conditions, and you just being in Detroit is just one mostly insignificant factor [[in other words, add up all the other "target" factors and then put you into another city and with a lower crime rate and your probability will probably still be the same).

But to go back, I did not call them random shootings. My point has only been that random shootings are rare events anywhere, including Detroit. The average person does not have a very high probability of walking down the street and being the victim of random gun violence. By random, I mean the victim of gun violence from an incident with a person unknown to him. So, most citizens of Detroit will not be victims of random gun violence.
    Last edited by iheartthed; November-01-12 at 03:40 PM.

Something bothers me about this whole reporting thing, but I'm not sure I know exactly what it is except that I keep getting this underlying feeling that the Detroit News goes out of its way to show how horrible Detroit is. I'll grant you 1) I only know from what I read on the web, living 3000 miles away, and 2) things AREN't good as I understand it, but the News seems to have a vendetta against someone or something. I don't get this feeling from the Freep.

At this point, The News reminds me a bit of one of the strike papers in the 60's that ran a police blotter which usually closed each posting with a line something like "....police have no discription of the suspect except for his color.", prompting the Michigan Chronicle to run their own blotter, closing each crime report with "....police have no discription of the suspect except for his lack of color."

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;347813]

I guess that "random" means that you get hit when the perp is shooting at someone else.

That map is just sad.

The scarier thing is that for the majority of these you click on, the shooter was never caught. Some of them were in broad daylight. Pretty brazen. Some were random. Some may or may not have been random. Obviously it's bad either way.

At least this one didn't get away

Crime: Homicide
    Address: 19400 Plymouth
    Date, time: May 5, 2012 at 5:30 p.m.
    No. of victims: 1
    No. Killed, if any: 1
    Suspect[[s) arrested?: Deceased
    Details: The victim exited a business when the suspect approached and took the victim's property. The victim [[concealed pistol license holder) fired shots, striking the suspect. The suspect was fatally wounded and the victim was taken into police custody.

This one is just ridiculous
    Crime: Homicide
    Address: 12000 Archdale
    Date, time: July 8, 2012 at 12:30 a.m.
    No. of victims: 1
    No. Killed, if any: 1
    Suspect[[s) arrested?: N
    Details: Adaisha Miller, 25, was dancing with an off-duty Detroit police officer when the officer's weapon discharged, striking Miller. Miller recieved a fatal gunshot wound to the chest. The officer, Isaac Parrish, was placed on adminitrative duty.
    Last edited by LeannaM; November-01-12 at 08:41 PM.

serpico Guest

So sad.. yet "normal" in Detroit... Coleman Young argued with a reporter in 1990 about the level of crime in Detroit saying any "big" city has crime....
    ANY murder is NOT acceptable.... Yet elected officials in Detroit see nothing wrong with this picture... ....
    Only in Detroit.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast