Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Corruption at Montreal City Hall.

There is a crime commission in Quebec homing in on corruption in the construction industry tied to public works. A lot of juicy stuff. Detroit is not the only place to suffer from this kind of deal. I thought it might be interesting to some of you.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...700/story.html

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...015/story.html

Public works, construction, refuse removal - all heavy sources for corruption in every major city

As I recall it was Montreal based corruption that brought down the Liberal Party and opened the door for Harper. Or am confusing my crooks?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    As I recall it was Montreal based corruption that brought down the Liberal Party and opened the door for Harper. Or am confusing my crooks?
    Yes well during the lead-up to the last referendum on Quebec independence in 1995, the liberals got a bunch of money together to finance a campaign praising the virtues of federalism. A lot of party cronies were treated with brown envelopes. To this day, the liberals have a lot to answer for.

The mayor of Montreal is on the verge of stepping down and the mayor of the largest suburb [[Laval) has temporarily stepped away from his job. The police confiscated ten safety deposit boxes and are looking for millions of dollars transited to tax havens offshore. The crime commission has broadcast undercover videos of Nick Rizzutto the recently assassinated father of Nick Rizzutto, the godfather of the Montreal Mafia receiving cash from contractors.
    They also have shown photos of dinner functions where Nick Rizzuto was presiding over a bunch of big construction company presidents. Every once in a while the video cameras would show guys separating wads of cash and then sticking them in their socks before exiting the room.

The newly elected Quebec government is proposing a new law to counter corruption in public works contracting as all this is going on.