Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Schools: Roberts May Leave if Prop #1 Gets a NO Vote

From today’s Detroit News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

The emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools says he is considering stepping down if Michigan voters repeal Public Act 4 on Tuesday.

"I haven't made up my mind," Roy Roberts said Wednesday in an interview with The Detroit News Editorial Board. He said he will have a decision immediately following the election on Tuesday.

Roberts issued a letter to Gov. Rick Snyder on Wednesday stating that operating under the state's weaker emergency manager law — Public Act 72 — since the repeal of PA4 in August has resulted in "utter confusion and chaos" in the district.

Roberts said the Detroit Board of Education is refusing to recognize his powers under the law and trying to undermine the work of his staff to move the district out of its financial emergency.

"It's not about education. It's about power. I didn't come here for that," Roberts said Wednesday. "I came here to educate kids." In his letter, Roberts told the governor there is "simply no focus on the students or their academic achievement."

"There is only a battle for control over the entire district to achieve personal agenda not focused on educating our children," Roberts said in the letter.

I just wonder what alternative plans the Board of Ed has should Roberts leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    ...snip...
    I just wonder what alternative plans the Board of Ed has should Roberts leave.
    Next up... find money. Get some new taxes. An emergency loan. Sell more real estate. Anything but reform. Just get the cash somehow. And if that doesn't work, just reduce all education expenses. Fewer teachers if possible. Maybe get rid of the students. Then hire some more relatives as administrators to figure out the problem. They really need the jobs anyway. And then that money will flow to the treasury -- and the problem of money will be solved.

"I just wonder what alternative plans the Board of Ed has should Roberts leave."

"Whew, Now that HE'S gone, let's have a 10 day conference @ The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island to talk about how we're gonna educate "R" kids........."

Appointed by Snyder in May 2011, Roberts reduced the district's $327 million deficit to $74 million, mostly by the sale of bonds but also by closing schools...
    So, in other words, he eliminated the deficit by stacking up more debt [[high interest) DPS will eventually be stuck paying back and forced the remainder of the deficit on the taxpayers of state of Michigan in that new EAA school district.

So long story short, DPS will be BACK in this same position 5-10 years from now.

Chapter 9 Bankruptcy is the answer. Detroit's problem especially are way too structural for dictators to resolve, as that one quote proves [[structural problems encouraged by the state as it heavily subsidize exodus from Detroit over the last 40 years).

It's really funny how so many in Michigan are a penny wise but a pound foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

So, in other words, he eliminated the deficit by stacking up more debt [[high interest) DPS will eventually be stuck paying back and forced the remainder of the deficit on the taxpayers of state of Michigan in that new EAA school district.

So long story short, DPS will be BACK in this same position 5-10 years from now.

Chapter 9 Bankruptcy is the answer. Detroit's problem especially are way too structural for dictators to resolve, as that one quote proves [[structural problems encouraged by the state as it heavily subsidize exodus from Detroit over the last 40 years).

It's really funny how so many in Michigan are a penny wise but a pound foolish.
    There's nothing wrong with debt if applied judiciously. The bondholders must have liked his financial reforms -- or they wouldn't have given DPS their money.

If you don't take on debt based on a viable plan funded by selling bonds, how would you recommend he make payroll? These employees won't work for future promises. They expect paychecks. That takes cash. Cash requires either revenues [[tax money, state funding, tuition, fees), selling assets, or borrowing.

I don't think he had any options except to structure the debt. That's one of the main jobs of an EFM. So you're unhappy that he's doing his job?

All said, I also favor bankruptcy over EFM. If we start truly punishing bad behavior, we'll get less in the future. And we sure could use less.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    There's nothing wrong with debt if applied judiciously. The bondholders must have liked his financial reforms -- or they wouldn't have given DPS their money.

If you don't take on debt based on a viable plan funded by selling bonds, how would you recommend he make payroll? These employees won't work for future promises. They expect paychecks. That takes cash. Cash requires either revenues [[tax money, state funding, tuition, fees), selling assets, or borrowing.

I don't think he had any options except to structure the debt. That's one of the main jobs of an EFM. So you're unhappy that I'll he's doing his job?

All said, I also favor bankruptcy over EFM. If we start truly punishing bad behavior, we'll get less in the future. And we sure could use less.
    What appears to be happening, in essence, is he kicked the can down the road. It's like paying your bills with your credit cards. Yes, the bill due now may be paid off, but eventually the credit card bills will also be due. What doyou do then? Pay those credit card bills off with more credit card bills?

Eventually we will realize that the bondholders will have to take a pay cut as well. shuffling the debt around doesn't change the fact that much of the debt Detroiters will never be able to pay back, even if you stopped providing any type of services to your customers [[Detroiters).

The reason bondholders are investing their money is not because they favor Robert's reforms, but because the State of Michigan is guaranteeing the bonds in the event DPS is unable to pay for them [[though they're still bonds DPS must pay back in theory). Speaking long term, Detroit is still an awful investment for bondholders as it continues to bleed taxpayers.

While we're trying to avoid the situation in California with all of their bankruptcies, quiet as it's kept, while we're still debating over these ineffective laws to tackle the ongoing financial problems in our cities, their cities will be much healthier
    Last edited by 313WX; November-01-12 at 11:32 AM.

bizarre. exactly what are these 'battles' that are allegedly happening, on a day to day, week to week basis while schools are actively in session? What exactly is the current superintendent's responsibility to oversee-- if anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

So long story short, DPS will be BACK in this same position 5-10 years from now..
    Thank you. That's like someone claiming they paid off their credit card debt by putting the balance on another credit card.

EDIT: Sorry, 313WX, I didn't see you used that credit card analogy in a later post. :-)

I lost any hope that Roberts would do a good once when one of the first things he did was spend 40K of district money for a new SUV for him to tool around in. He defended it by saying the vehicle currently available for him had over 100,000 miles on it and was "falling apart." [[If a vehicle is falling apart at 100,000 miles, you must not be doing any maintenance on it at all, but that's another story.) I'm sure that alienated all the school board employees who have over 100,000 miles on their vehicles.

Roberts also responded that if people wanted him to buy his own car, he should be paid more money. The crazy thing is, this is a guy who was an exec from GM. I imagine he could have made a call to the Ren Cen and they would have supplied a vehicle for the EM use, and gotten good ink by saying they were providing it to save the DPS from spending tax money on it.

Roberts is out of touch and apparently clueless about how to efficiently run a district. If he leaves, no one will miss him.

Same for the guy Snyder brought in from KC for about 4 million bucks. He got to Detroit right about the time the KC schools were losing their accreditation.

All I can say is... "Don't let the door hit ya, where the Good Lord split ya"

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    All I can say is... "Don't let the door hit ya, where the Good Lord split ya"
    If you believe that things in DPS were going just fine under the School Board, then you may get what you deserve.

I don't care for what the board did. And they dug a hole for themselves. Now, any excuse to chase away someone doing their best will be found to demonize this man. I'm sure if I could listen to everything you ever said, I could find something to get you fired from your job.

Give the guy a break -- and let's hope he can help the kids. Lord knows the existing power structure sure hasn't done that. And no, its no all Lansing's fault. Stop blaming others. Look inward.

As I understand it, if the dictator law goes it reverts back to the previous EM law which exclusively gives him control of the finances only.

What exactly is wrong with that?

Why does he need to control ANY-FUCKING-THING else?

His whole job is to get DPS finances in order.

He is not an educator, why does he need to have a say in curriculum, which teachers get hired or fired, dres code or anything else?

IT remains to be see just how good a job he's doing. The media was fellating Bobb while he was doubling the debt and we have nothing to show for it.

Do your fucking job, and LEAVE!

This is not a lifetime sweetheard position.

"Why does he need to control ANY-FUCKING-THING else?"

Well he could need control to fire, prosecute, or replace guys that scammed 650K from the school fund to revamp their home in the 'burbs. Or cut-off guys that have been on the payroll for years and don't really work there.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    As I understand it, if the dictator law goes it reverts back to the previous EM law which exclusively gives him control of the finances only.

He is not an educator, why does he need to have a say in curriculum, which teachers get hired or fired, dres code or anything else?

IT remains to be see just how good a job he's doing. The media was fellating Bobb while he was doubling the debt and we have nothing to show for it.

PA 72 is fine. Every state has some form of PA 72.

That said, Detroit's problems and DPS' problems are way too deep for an EFM or an EM to solve.

When half of your budget is dedicated to debt payments, you continue to lose tax revenue [[because of the already minimal to non-existent level of services) and the debt isn't decreasing, then you have to try another legal solution.

When majority of the school kids live in an impoverished household where the parents aren't actually involved in their schooling and the kids cuss out and disrespect teachers and principals who are trying to help him, an EM can't fix that.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-03-12 at 07:30 PM.

Do you really believe that line of crap? That Bobb came in and just 'doubled the debt'? You actually believe that? All was just great until Bobb screwed the duck?

If we can't all agree that the problem is massive, and that everyone needs to work on solutions rather than their own self-interests -- then we are doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do you really believe that line of crap? That Bobb came in and just 'doubled the debt'? You actually believe that? All was just great until Bobb screwed the duck?

If we can't all agree that the problem is massive, and that everyone needs to work on solutions rather than their own self-interests -- then we are doomed.
    All those words and you posted nothing to refute it.

I've always maintained that Bobb was bought in to gut the dysfunctional culture and infrastructure of DPS. I feel that he was successful in doing that. If we use the standard of reducing the debt then not so much. In my heart of hearts I don't think that was the real goal anyway

All those words and you posted nothing to refute it.
    The 'doubling of debt' doesn't need to be refuted. Its an exaggeration of fact that serves only as a talking point of those opposed to progress and desperately need an example of something wrong with the emergency measures being taken.

Bobb increased debt = EFM's are bad.

And that's just not true. 1) Debt isn't necessarily bad. 2) The district's finances are clearly in trouble. 3) Reform of more than finances is crucial.

Let's stop the attacks and start the reforms.

Bobb reduced the deficit from $320MM+ down to under $100MM. Talking about the debt is a non sequitur. The debt may have doubled under Bobb, but it would be doubling plus some more without him.

Bobb [[or whoever replaces him) can't worry about lowering the debt until you get the deficits to disappear. You start eliminating the deficits, and the debts start taking care of themselves.

Robert Bobb did increase the debt. Roy Roberts, the current EM, is lowering it. Keep up with the revolving door

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Bobb reduced the deficit from $320MM+ down to under $100MM. Talking about the debt is a non sequitur. The debt may have doubled under Bobb, but it would be doubling plus some more without him.

Bobb [[or whoever replaces him) can't worry about lowering the debt until you get the deficits to disappear. You start eliminating the deficits, and the debts start taking care of themselves.

Sorry Robert, folks in Detroit and all over Michigan don't want a EM dictator to fix up, mess up, and dissolve local governments and school boards. The People of Michigan will vote NO, NO, NO on proposal 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    [[snip....) The People of Michigan will vote NO, NO, NO on proposal 1.
    OK, so back to my original question. What is The Plan that the Board of Ed has if this should happen?

OK, so back to my original question. What is The Plan that the Board of Ed has if this should happen?
    Then back to my original reply:

"Whew, Now that HE'S gone, let's have a 10 day conference @ The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island to talk about how we're gonna educate "R" kids........."

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Robert Bobb did increase the debt. Roy Roberts, the current EM, is lowering it. Keep up with the revolving door
    Per the news article in the OP, he lowered the deficit by selling off those 15 schools and bond purchases [[debt).

Milk it till it dies. Their strategy seems to be working. Stall reform. And hope that the economy improves so things can go back to the way they were.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast