Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Flag Raising Ceremony for the GAR

I like how Mindfield is keeping the updates coming and working really hard to bring attention to such a great restoration. I was lucky enough to volunteer in the GAR for Blight Busters a few weeks ago and help clean out the old beauty. If anyone is going, snap some pics!

http://gardetroit.posterous.com/rais...y-over-the-gar

Agree. It's nice, too, that they don't seem to be changing the name either. All references are to the GAR, not "The Mindfield Building."

I wonder if they will fly a 50 star flag, or a Civil War era flag, or one from 1898 when the building was built. In january of 1861, there were 33 stars and by the end of the war there were 36. Not sure about 1898, I'd guess it had to be around 46 or so.

anyway, it could be an interesting thing for the minefield people to do, ya know, raise a flag from another era.

It's 2012. I say fly the current flag.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    It's 2012. I say fly the current flag.
    That's the one they are flying!

Name:  DSC05535.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  41.2 KB

The Cass Tech ROTC raised the flag:

Name:  DSC05533.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  24.2 KB

Happened to drive by while the flag-raising was being staged yesterday, after a fine breakfast at Honest John's...what a great spectacle! Almost every era of military involvement was represented, and I saw a few women who were obviously daughters...great-great GRAND daughters...of the American Revolution. Or they shopped at really interesting secondhand stores. Either way, it was cool to see.

We followed a fellow in a van towing a trailer down Cass Avenue, made to be a monument to Vietnam-era fallen soldiers, empty boots around a small flagpole. It was pretty touching.

Good to see this building finally get used.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Happened to drive by while the flag-raising was being staged yesterday, after a fine breakfast at Honest John's...what a great spectacle! Almost every era of military involvement was represented, and I saw a few women who were obviously daughters...great-great GRAND daughters...of the American Revolution. Or they shopped at really interesting secondhand stores. Either way, it was cool to see.

We followed a fellow in a van towing a trailer down Cass Avenue, made to be a monument to Vietnam-era fallen soldiers, empty boots around a small flagpole. It was pretty touching.

Good to see this building finally get used.

Cheers!
    A very nice event!
    Attached Images Attached Images                            

Default Great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A very nice event!
    I've been working on the G.A.R. for almost a year and these guys love this building and it's history. The restaurant will be the Republic Grill and the coffee shop will be called Parks and Rec. They know the importance of keeping all our history alive. Great job Boys

Thanks, p69rrh51, for the pics! So much going on yesterday that we had to make decisions on what to attend to make the most of the day. Couldn't work this one in, but looks like a very nice historic event!!

Thanks, theklep, for the update on what we can expect to see in the G.A.R. in the not too distant future. Please keep us apprised on opening dates!

Thanks for the follow up picks! I gotta say, that flag looks great waving over the GAR.

Looks terrific. A great showing by all. The pic of the guys next to the flag looks like a still from the movie "Taps".