Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fouts moves Halloween

Let's move Christmas while we're at it. Maybe New Years. Weather is bad then, too.

Halloween always seems to have bad weather. That never stopped us. Am I right? Does he understand that this isn't going to be like New York? Slippery sidewalks are a concern now? Hopefully this isn't representative of the country as a whole.

I think the fact that the residents of War'n elected this circus freak and voted to reject the DIA millage speaks volumes.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/W...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Let's move Christmas while we're at it. Maybe New Years. Weather is bad then, too.

Halloween always seems to have bad weather. That never stopped us. Am I right? Does he understand that this isn't going to be like New York? Slippery sidewalks are a concern now? Hopefully this isn't representative of the country as a whole.

I think the fact that the residents of War'n elected this circus freak and voted to reject the DIA millage speaks volumes.
    Of course, since this crap wasn't about Detroiters and its black leaders, it likely wasn't at the front page of the paper.

We had high winds here but I don't think it was THAT bad. I think he's just taking advantage of the situation to make it seem like he's taking charge and doing something. :/

side topic i guess, but i don't understand why a "holiday" like Halloween isn't ALWAYS on a Friday. Just make it the last Friday of October. Why is it still tied specifically to 31st [[spare me the All hallow's eve crap... it's about walking around and getting candy) we vote on a "second tuesday" ... thanksgiving is the "fourth thursday" ... why does a thing like halloween need to be on a weekday night?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    side topic i guess, but i don't understand why a "holiday" like Halloween isn't ALWAYS on a Friday. Just make it the last Friday of October. Why is it still tied specifically to 31st [[spare me the All hallow's eve crap... it's about walking around and getting candy) we vote on a "second tuesday" ... thanksgiving is the "fourth thursday" ... why does a thing like halloween need to be on a weekday night?
    I think you answered your own question. It's All Hallow's Eve, or, at least, derived from it. Few people celebrate it as that, but the same goes for St. Patrick's Day. It's an actual holiday with history behind it. I think it will be a sad day when we have to start moving holidays based on Americans' unwillingness/inability to make time for a bit of fun. Perhaps we should move Independence Day as well, I mean, this 4th of July crap is anachronistic and I have to work in the morning. Thanksgiving? Saturday, please. I need to get up and shop at 2am on Friday. Let's move Easter to Good Friday so I can sleep in the next day. Good Friday? Just pitch the damn thing.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Detroiters visiting the inner suburbs for trick-or-treat. I do know that places like Dearborn, Huntington Woods and the Pointes are packed with [[sometimes bus-loads) of Detroiters.

Maybe Warren has the same phenomenon, and the mayor thinks Friday would be a better day logistically?

I think you answered your own question. It's All Hallow's Eve, or, at least, derived from it. Few people celebrate it as that, but the same goes for St. Patrick's Day. It's an actual holiday with history behind it. I think it will be a sad day when we have to start moving holidays based on Americans' unwillingness/inability to make time for a bit of fun. Perhaps we should move Independence Day as well, I mean, this 4th of July crap is anachronistic and I have to work in the morning. Thanksgiving? Saturday, please. I need to get up and shop at 2am on Friday. Let's move Easter to Good Friday so I can sleep in the next day. Good Friday? Just pitch the damn thing.
    Omg. spare me the "reasons" behind the holidays. Nobody. Fucking. Cares. Half my office is leaving early today because they have to pick up little timmy and go walking around begging for candy...not to go to Mass.

Nobody cares if "independence day" is ACTUALLY celebrated on the 4th. if they did, things like the Detroit fireworks celebrating Independence day wouldn't be shared with Canada and held in late June.

Nobody cares if St.pattys is done on the 17th. St pattys to 95% of the population is a day to get hammered. Not a damn thing more. what's better for productivity and general civil society? having it on a Tuesday or a Saturday? I know the bars [[and the local police departments that profit from DUI and alcohol related fines) prefer having it mid week because they they get two legit weekends + a mid week day to have St. Pattys day themes [[and exceed ticket quotas)...but what would be the best for the rest of the world?

I think thanksgiving is the perfect example of how to do a holiday. Its the fourth Thursday of the month and most people will take or be given the following Friday off. Or move it to friday... i don't really care. Better than having a party holiday on a Tuesday and having to go into work the next morning...am i right?

I mean just about every one of the Holidays we celebrate is an arbitrarily picked day. Even the grandaddy of them all, Christmas, has little to do with the ACTUAL date of Jesus's birth and more to do with assimilating pagan holidays into the catholic tradition.
    Last edited by bailey; October-31-12 at 08:59 AM. Reason: corrected the date....sorry Gannon

Omg...

...I think thanksgiving is the perfect example of how to do a holiday. Its the second Thursday of the month and most people will take or be given the following Friday off.

Fourth Thursday of November. My birthday, too. Please get it right! heh...

Omg. spare me the "reasons" behind the holidays. Nobody. Fucking. Cares. Half my office is leaving early today because they have to pick up little timmy and go walking around begging for candy...not to go to Mass.

Nobody cares if "independence day" is ACTUALLY celebrated on the 4th. if they did, things like the Detroit fireworks celebrating Independence day wouldn't be shared with Canada and held in late June.

Nobody cares if St.pattys is done on the 17th. St pattys to 95% of the population is a day to get hammered. Not a damn thing more. what's better for productivity and general civil society? having it on a Tuesday or a Saturday? I know the bars [[and the local police departments that profit from DUI and alcohol related fines) prefer having it mid week because they they get two legit weekends + a mid week day to have St. Pattys day themes [[and exceed ticket quotas)...but what would be the best for the rest of the world?

I think thanksgiving is the perfect example of how to do a holiday. Its the second Thursday of the month and most people will take or be given the following Friday off. Or move it to friday... i don't really care. Better than having a party holiday on a Tuesday and having to go into work the next morning...am i right?

I mean just about every one of the Holidays we celebrate is an arbitrarily picked day. Even the grandaddy of them all, Christmas, has little to do with the ACTUAL date of Jesus's birth and more to do with assimilating pagan holidays into the catholic tradition.
    So let them go home early. Like we don't work enough in this country? Honestly you're going to have to speak for yourself on this one. I do care that the Declaration of Independence was signed on the 4th of July and I think we should observe it in some small way instead of moving it. I full well know that most Christian holidays have pagan roots but I think even that is an important part of Western culture that we shouldn't just toss out the window because it's inconvenient for us. Seriously, moving a saint's day because of productivity? And yes I full well know that most people get shitfaced on St. Patrick's Day but let them. We're an overworked society that gets less vacation time than the rest of the civilized world so productivity and our pointless schedules be damned. Make an extra pot of coffee at the office the next day and talk about what a great time you had. It's part of life.

"The streets are wet, let's move Halloween. Who cares about the 4th of July? Let's move St. Patrick's Day because of productivity"
    Is this the kind of jaded, wussy-ass country we've become? Then the terrorists have won, ladies and gentlemen.

On a serious note, the 4th of the July thing really grinds my gears. A lot of us believe in the principles this country was founded on to the point where we enlisted and were willing to die for it. Why? So you can do whatever you want and say whatever you want and keep living the good life in Grossey Pointey. Why don't you get off your PC next Independence Day and think about that for just a few minutes and just be grateful that you can celebrate or ignore any holiday you chose and that your biggest problem is that they're a minor inconvenience.
    Last edited by poobert; October-31-12 at 09:22 AM.

"Omg. spare me the "reasons" behind the holidays. Nobody. Fucking. Cares. Half my office is leaving early today because they have to pick up little timmy and go walking around begging for candy..."

You don't have a "little Timmy" to walk around and celebrate Halloween with, do you? You sit in front of your PC being "productive" while your excited co-workers are making plans for the evening. You feel excluded and bitter. I understand and I feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Omg. spare me the "reasons" behind the holidays. Nobody. Fucking. Cares. Half my office is leaving early today because they have to pick up little timmy and go walking around begging for candy..."

You don't have a "little Timmy" to walk around and celebrate Halloween with, do you? You sit in front of your PC being "productive" while your excited co-workers are making plans for the evening. You feel excluded and bitter. I understand and I feel for you.
    No.. i'm going home early too... and if this Halloween is like the past 7 in my neighborhood, we're going to had out 800+ pieces of candy.. I have 1000 pieces sitting at home right now [[give or take a few that had to be sampled for quality.)

What I'm saying is why are we doing this today and not on a friday when everyone can enjoy it to the fullest like they could on a friday night? It just seems silly.
    Last edited by bailey; October-31-12 at 09:20 AM.

I know, I just couldn't resist......

On a serious note, the 4th of the July thing really grinds my gears. A lot of us believe in the principles this country was founded on to the point where we enlisted and were willing to die for it. Why? So you can do whatever you want and say whatever you want and keep living the good life in Grossey Pointey. Why don't you get off your PC next Independence Day and think about that for just a few minutes and just be grateful that you can celebrate or ignore any holiday you chose and that your biggest problem is that they're a minor inconvenience.
    USMC Active Duty 1994-2000 entire enlistment spent outside the U.S. Just saying.

You know what grinds my gears? people taking a minor discussion and claiming its an "assault on our freedoms". Halloween is about as stupid and trivial a "holiday" that we have... there is nothing wrong with it being stupid and trivial... I would just like it to be more fun. I think it would be more fun if it were held on a Friday.

As for the 4th... again... the date of the observance of it is irrelevant...so long as it's observed. that is my point.
    Last edited by bailey; October-31-12 at 09:31 AM.

Some kids who live in Warren will celebrate Halloween trick o'treating at Sterling Heights, Hazel Park, Troy, Fraser, Eastpointe and Roseville instead.

What I'm saying is why are we doing this today and not on a friday when everyone can enjoy it to the fullest like they could on a friday night? It just seems silly.
    How is it that having it on a Friday is when people can enjoy it to its fullest?
    I think Friday or Saturday are the worst day to have it for kids due to safety. More adults celebrate it by partying too. Having it on one of these days allows more people to party & then drive. Even if you've not gotten to a party yet, you're in a hurry to get there to start. I've seen it in my neighborhood when I was a kid and as a parent taking my kid around. People are in a hurry to party. Kids are in a hurry to get candy. Neither is watching out for each other as they should. Traffic safety is what I'm talking about here.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/201...ted-candy.html

I think many people enjoy it whatever day it falls on. Besides, it often gives the kids a night with no homework.

It is not at all uncommon for trick-or-treating to take place on a day OTHER THAN Halloween. It's a community event that gets scheduled accordingly.

This isn't a big deal.

Half my office is leaving early today because they have to pick up little timmy and go walking around begging for candy
    Half of many offices leave early the day before a holiday anyway, no matter what holiday it is. How many folks will be there on 11-21 compared to Kroger or Meijer?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Half of many offices leave early the day before a holiday anyway, no matter what holiday it is. How many folks will be there on 11-21 compared to Kroger or Meijer?
    Exactly...it's holiday creep at every holiday so just put them all on the weekend...or long weekend. At least if it's on a weekend, no one in dragging their hungover or tired selves back into the office the next day.

How is it that having it on a Friday is when people can enjoy it to its fullest?

I think Friday or Saturday are the worst day to have it for kids due to safety. More adults celebrate it by partying too. Having it on one of these days allows more people to party & then drive. Even if you've not gotten to a party yet, you're in a hurry to get there to start. I've seen it in my neighborhood when I was a kid and as a parent taking my kid around. People are in a hurry to party. Kids are in a hurry to get candy. Neither is watching out for each other as they should. Traffic safety is what I'm talking about here.
    But, if as you said, everyone leaves early no matter when it is, why would Friday be anymore hurried than on Tuesday when parents are trying to get it all done before school night bed time, homework, after school activities...etc? I don't remember ever NOT having homework or practice just because it was Halloween.

The article bears that out... it surveyed just Oct 30&31...not ONLY those Halloweens that fell on Fridays.

noise
    It is not at all uncommon for trick-or-treating to take place on a day OTHER THAN Halloween. It's a community event that gets scheduled accordingly.

This isn't a big deal.
    ...unless it's done in GP or Warren...then it's because of racism.

Well played Marine.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012103...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Fouts changed his mind. Halloween will be on Halloween because, if not, the terrorists will have won. Or something.

I see that the "War on Christmas" has spread to other holidays, too. From now on holidays should only be on weekends when there is nice weather. Otherwise they hurt productivity and inconvenience people who don't enjoy holidays. How about we cut some down to just half days, too. I mean, Columbus Day??? Seriously? I got stuff to mail!!
    Should Mexicans have to move Cinco de Mayo and the Jewish people have to move their holidays, too, bailey, because "Nobody. Fucking. Cares."??
    What an old sour ass!
    I hope everybody had a Happy Halloween. I sure had fun.
    Last edited by KJ5; November-01-12 at 07:06 AM.

Fouts is a moron. He does these little stunts to get his name in the media.

I live in Warren, and I can tell you Halloween was indeed on October 31st, 2012, despite our mayor's headline grab.

I feel bad for anyone that listened to the mayor, because no one will be passing out candy Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I see that the "War on Christmas" has spread to other holidays, too. From now on holidays should only be on weekends when there is nice weather. Otherwise they hurt productivity and inconvenience people who don't enjoy holidays. How about we cut some down to just half days, too. I mean, Columbus Day??? Seriously? I got stuff to mail!!
    Should Mexicans have to move Cinco de Mayo and the Jewish people have to move their holidays, too, bailey, because "Nobody. Fucking. Cares."??
    What an old sour ass!
    I hope everybody had a Happy Halloween. I sure had fun.
    I think in your zeal to take offense you've entirely missed the point. I enjoy the hell out of holidays... which is why I'd like them to be set days that allow for them to fall into, on, or extend a weekend. Especially those that are really just about having a party [[which really is all Americans REALLY care about when it comes to holidays in general)...like Halloween, 4th of july, St. Pattys...etc. Make them all like Memorial day or Labor day or Thanks giving...that way everyone can plan accordingly and we can all have a good time.

However; speaking of the war on Christmas ..why ARENT the jewish holidays, mulsim holidays, Pastafarian holidays, hindu holidays...etc Federal holidays? Why is Christmas eve and Christmas day SO important that I can't buy booze and exercise my god given right to get hammered? Yet I can walk into any liquor store during Ramadan or Yom Kippur ..or name any other religion's most holy day... and buy anything I want? Why can't i go to the bank on December 25 [[which is really just a random day in December picked sometime in the 4th century to get everyone on the same page)? seems kinda discriminatory and very arbitrary if only one religion gets a day where my freedoms are infringed.

Why do you hate other religions KJ5? Why should a Jew have to go to work on Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashana, but is forced to take the day off on December 25th? Sounds a bit antisemitic if you ask me.
    Last edited by bailey; November-01-12 at 10:00 AM.

Back in the 70's, they tried moving Independence Day to the Monday before the 4th and it went over like a lead balloon; people want the 4th of July on the 4th of July. In some communities, they also made an attempt to move Halloween to the Saturday before the 31st for a while but people weren't happy with that either.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Back in the 70's, they tried moving Independence Day to the Monday before the 4th and it went over like a lead balloon; people want the 4th of July on the 4th of July. In some communities, they also made an attempt to move Halloween to the Saturday before the 31st for a while but people weren't happy with that either.
    Well, there you go. It seems people do "fucking care."

Virtually every country has national holidays that are in some way based on the majority religion. Ultimately they're days off, and if you'd like to observe them religiously, fine. If you'd have a Roman orgy instead, that's fine too. No, you can't go to the Post Office [[does anyone under 90 even do that anymore?). Life's a bitch like that.

Interestingly, France had the same problem after the Revolution. They tried to create national holidays to replace the religious festivals. They redid the entire calendar, too, into metric, however the fuck that works. It last approximately 45 minutes. People hated it. Could you imagine bureaucrats and lobbyists trying create - or even move - our holidays? Our imperfect arrangement is the best we can hope for, much like our stupid government.

Honestly, how many Jews go around complaining that they don't get to work on Christmas?? I do think we should have High Holidays of other major religions off. Yom Kippur is the big one. Ramadan is a month long so there isn't an expectation to have that off. We can't include every Zoroastrian and Cathar holiday, though, as a matter of practicality. Most of the Jews I know take Yom Kippur off, and depending on the city [[or more often, university) stuff shuts down. Even my shitty place of employment lets them take off without losing vacation time. There are ways to compromise.

Sorry my Jarhead friend, suffering through weekday Halloweens appears to be the general consensus.
    Last edited by poobert; November-01-12 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast