Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default First National Building and the Ponchartrain Hotel

Since Gilbert's Bedrock took over control and is renovatng interior spaces in the First National Building, is he also planning to restore the buildings stone cornice [[which I believe is currently covered by metal sidiing?) Does anyone know if there was a structural problem with the original cornice/parapet that cause it to be covered in the first place?

Also, Is seems that they are test paint scheme[[s) for the exterior of the Ponchartrain that appears to be of an atypical palet [[any thoughts/opinions out there). Is anyone aware of the timeline to reopen the hotel and it is to include a restored plaza level and/or a bridge to Cobo Hall?

In the early 1950s a chunk of cornice came crashing down a downtown building and killed an 82 year old woman. The city's Common Council decided back then to pass an ordinance to either have building owners secure/inspect or remove their building cornices. So what you see as metal, likely hides a removed cornice. If Gilbert wants to restore the limestone cornice... more power to him.

The largest surviving cornice downtown is on the Book Building... a huge overhang with draped figures of men and women appearing to hold up the cornice overhang.

I always thought that the cornice was covered or removed in the 70's because I have a vauge recollection of the cornice inplace. I remember the painted mural on the side of the building and was wondering if the installationn of the mural and the covering of the conrnice coinsided as an amtempt to modernize the building?

The FNB cornice was removed in the 1970's...I think around 1975. The aluminum siding covering went up in its place in lieu of refacing the area with stone of composite material. I doubt anyone would replace it with stone. It could be done with replacement materials like fiberglass. This technique was used on the Carson Pirie Scott building in Chicago and you can't tell it wasn't the original, but that building is faced in terra cotta, not limestone.

It's not fiberglass but Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete [[GFRC). You end up with a product that looks like cast stone and it can be coated with a terra cotta finish.

Just what exactly does this have to do with the Pontch Hotel other than the old Pontch was located on this site prior to the First National being built?

Are you suggesting a cornice for the new Pontch? Now that would be ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    Is anyone aware of the timeline to reopen the hotel and it is to include a restored plaza level and/or a bridge to Cobo Hall?
    The owner was on the radio talking about the renovation and was hoping to be ready for the auto show. Also, he brought up some info about an existing underground tunnel to COBO and was working on getting some kind of arrangenment to use it.
    He was very sketchy on this

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Just what exactly does this have to do with the Pontch Hotel other than the old Pontch was located on this site prior to the First National being built?

Are you suggesting a cornice for the new Pontch? Now that would be ugly!
    Reread original post... 2 unrelated topics 1 thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Reread original post... 2 unrelated topics 1 thread....
    Thanks! I've noticed they are trying out some butt ugly colors that OSU grads would love.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    It's not fiberglass but Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete [[GFRC). You end up with a product that looks like cast stone and it can be coated with a terra cotta finish.
    thanks for the clarification...I remembered the glass fiber part and equate that with fiberglass.

What are the "Butt Ugly" colors being tried out on the Ponch?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    What are the "Butt Ugly" colors being tried out on the Ponch?
    Near as I can tell it is best described as Scarlett and Grey. Maybe a 1980's- ish mauve.