Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scared of Sandy

No trees landed on my house and I'm not moving back to Detroit. Unless someone offers me a great job.

"No trees landed on my house and I'm not moving back to Detroit."

Haven't you heard? Ho' foods is coming! And Buffaloed Wild Things!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's true. We don't have many natural disasters; we prefer to create our own.
    Well played.

Lord No! There's more than enough Yankies here already!

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Breaking New, Sandy destroy most of the east coast, foring residence of the former east coast of the untied states, to move to other areas,

In related news the city of Detroit population reaches over 1.5 million due to the residence of the former east coast getting relocated to Detroit and other rust belt cities, the east side of Detroit see tent cities built, popping up over night, Detroit hasn't seen this much of population growth in over 50 years. Why Detroit you make ask, simple because the infacstructure was already there.
    Infrastructure on the east side of Detroit? Last I looked, it was pretty well past its useful life -- as a generality.

On the other hand, nearly unlimited fresh water from Lake Huron is a really rare asset. Name one other city with a connection to one of the world's largest freshwater lakes upstream of virtually all industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Infrastructure on the east side of Detroit? Last I looked, it was pretty well past its useful life -- as a generality.

On the other hand, nearly unlimited fresh water from Lake Huron is a really rare asset. Name one other city with a connection to one of the world's largest freshwater lakes upstream of virtually all industry.
    Port Huron?

Buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Port Huron?

Buffalo?
    Detroit never sounded so good.

Sandy was bad news, she really did some major damage. That was f...d up!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Detroit never sounded so good.
    Laughed out loud.

GUSHI Guest

Sandy was one mean bitch.

My wife is named Sandy, and yes, I am afraid of her. Call me whipped, I can take it.

when do the "I got blown by Sandy" T-shirts come out?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    You really need to study your geography a bit more, especially the parts about the effect of elevation on weather. The average elevation in NM is about 5,500 feet and I live at about 5,400 feet. The high temps here exceed 100 4-5 days a year, but with 10-15% humidity, or less, and we get snow in the winter.
    You are exactly right jiminnm!!! Does this look like Nevada or Arizona Strong??? I took this picture in NEW MEXICO today!!!

Name:  fall.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  27.7 KB
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-01-12 at 09:37 PM.

that's lovely. I have only ever been to the far western border area of NM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    that's lovely. I have only ever been to the far western border area of NM.
    The picture was taken just on the other side of the Rio Grande in Albuquerque, NM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    The picture was taken just on the other side of the Rio Grande in Albuquerque, NM.
    I love the area around Santa Fe & Tres Padres. See you in about 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You will absolutely love it here!!! Can't wait to go skiing in Colorado. Only 5 hours away!!!
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-02-12 at 09:16 AM.

I've visited several times over the years and really liked it. I can't remember the overpass, but the view down to the Rio Grand is breath taking, literally.

"Moon over the Rio Grande":

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I didn't see you wave as you drove through.

Actually, I'm about 17 miles north of the I25 and I40 intersection. We can see the aspens on the Sandias, then take a short stroll and see the cottonwoods, and a few aspens, along the Rio Grande valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sorry you have to wait that long...

Jim, when I drive to Detroit from my home in Las Vegas, I always take I-40 [[I hate that drive through eastern Colorado and Nebraska. Yuk.) and just love hitting the NM border. Eastern Arizona [[painted desert area) is nothing but flat, boring countryside for 200 miles, once you leave Flag. But NM is a pure delight for all....what, 360?....miles across 'er. Beautiful cliffs, buttes, and mesas all the way to the Texas panhandle. Well, then it gets boring again until Missouri. If I had to leave NV, NM would be my #2 choice for living.

Ray, any time you want a tour, let me know.

Sorry, but I can't do anything about the chain of billboards between Albuquerque and Santa Rosa.

For Cline's Corners? Aw, no big deal.
    Last edited by Ray1936; November-02-12 at 08:04 PM.

What struck me about Detroit weather was the high humidity; not as bad as Georgia's of Central Florida's but noticeable making summers seem hotter and winters colder. I prefer brisk 10 degree weather in Wisconsin to standing around in the slush, when it's 32 degrees, waiting for a bus in Detroit.

Unrelated but came across this. Someone posted this with the message: "
    Sorry for all the folks having trouble right now, but I thought this was pretty cute. I hate being so dependent on electricity." Come to think of it, I don't know of any Amish who bought into a flood plain. One of the comments to the photo was, " attitude dudes!!!!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast