Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scared of Sandy

Default Scared of Sandy

One thing about Detroit that stands out especially at this time with Sandy looming about is Detroit's weather and environment. I guess environment is how to describe hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes. We don't have them and that relieves some pressure off our daily lives. And, to me, our weather is okay for I don't mind the winter, especially since they haven't been so brutal in the past few years, and our summers have been a good variety of hot and hotter.

I bring up Sandy because she's the latest hurricane scare to hit the United States and I'm sure that its very uneasy living along the coastal states expecting a hurricane to hit or even just during the hurricane season. I love visiting our East Coast states but I don't think that I would love the worry that goes along with being so close to the ocean.Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  9.7 KB

Then to be in Florida and along the pan handle or in the Louisiana cost and having those hurricanes concerns got to be nerve racking.

Then to be in some of the hot weather states like Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, or New Mexico or Nevada has got to bring some challenges. I remember visiting some friends in Las Vegas and attending their son's footage game which started in 8 in the morning to beat the sun.

Now, in my book California is the most beautiful state with its wide variety of climates and landscapes, but mudslides, forest fires, and earthquakes have to add to life's pressures.

So, there's Detroit with its four seasons which allows me the opportunity to show off my winter jackets and wool suits, my spring coats and windbreakers, my summer shirts and short pants and my fall sweatshirts and corduroy pants.

I feel for the people who live along the east coast states and pray that Sandy turns outward towards the ocean and only leaves a little rain and that Louisiana never sees another Karina. And, that The Great Detroit has it's winter start one week before Christmas and end in February, Spring start in March, Summer start in May, and Fall start in November.

Oh, that might be wishing for too much.

They are expecting 20'+ waves on Lake Huron. Strong, if you have a lakefront cottage, I'd be concerned! Heck, just imagine what might happen in Lake St. Clair. Makes me glad I'm not rich and have a lakefront estate!

You really need to study your geography a bit more, especially the parts about the effect of elevation on weather. The average elevation in NM is about 5,500 feet and I live at about 5,400 feet. The high temps here exceed 100 4-5 days a year, but with 10-15% humidity, or less, and we get snow in the winter.
    Last edited by jiminnm; October-29-12 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    They are expecting 20'+ waves on Lake Huron. Strong, if you have a lakefront cottage, I'd be concerned! Heck, just imagine what might happen in Lake St. Clair. Makes me glad I'm not rich and have a lakefront estate!
    I plan on being out on the North end of Lake St. Clair for tomorrow's blow. It's a great time for a duck hunter as the heavy seas will force the birds inland and to the protected bays at the North end of the lake.

Between 11,000 to 8,500 years ago during the last ice age, Michigan did get a lot of hurricanes. It's when the Earth warned up so fast that its vaporize glaciers causing the atmosphere to develop everyday severe foggy stormy, violent tornado and hyper windy conditions. It's was very warm during winter months with 75 degree temperatures and very hot during summer months up to 90 to 115 degrees. The gulf moisture was too much that powerful super hurricanes can come further inland to the U.S. and reach up to Canada as a Tropical Depression.

I'm right in the path of it. Michigan winters don't seem so bad right now.

"I guess environment is how to describe hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes. We don't have them".

Slight correction as MI does in fact have tornados.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    "I guess environment is how to describe hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes. We don't have them".

Slight correction as MI does in fact have tornados.

They even go south of 8 Mile!

It's true. We don't have many natural disasters; we prefer to create our own.

"They even go south of 8 Mile!"

Last time a tornado went south of 8 mile, scrappers took every bit of metal swirling around in it's funnel!

Detroit does see Earthquakes and Tornadoes.

As far a tornadoes, there was the infamous outbreak back in 1997 where 13 tornadoes touched down across the area, including one on the city proper [[tracked from Hamtramck to Grosse Pointe).

As far as earthquakes, there was a 3.0 to 3.5 magnitude earthquake back in the early/mid 1990s. Then just recently there was the major earthquake on the east coast a lot of people reportedly felt here in Detroit.

BTW, earthquakes technically aren't weather. Earthquakes have no direct relation to the atmosphere.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-29-12 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's true. We don't have many natural disasters; we prefer to create our own.
    Detroit's probably one of the most disaster-proof cities in the country.

We don't get hurricanes. We're far enough east from the Plains and east of Lake Michigan that we don't get a lot of severe weather. Even true blizzards are relatively infrequent [[as much as prople whine about the nickel/dime snow we get).

Our biggest fear, if anything, is Fermi and a nuclear meltdown. And also having to deal with all of the god damn cloudy days.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-29-12 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Detroit's probably one of the most disaster-proof cities in the country.

We don't get hurricanes. We're far enough east from the Plains and east of Lake Michigan that we don't get a lot of severe weather. Even true blizzards are relatively infrequent [[as much as prople whine about the nickel/dime snow we get).

Our biggest fear, if anything, is Fermi and a nuclear meltdown. And also having to deal with all of the god damn cloudy days.
    I'm currently sitting through Sandy... doing work [[sorta).

From my anecdotal observations, the thunderstorms in Detroit are noticeably more intense than those on the northeast coast, for whatever reason.

Accumulating snow storms are also more frequent in Detroit, but intense snow storms/blizzards are more frequent on the East Coast. Noreasters are a force to be reckoned with. I can only recall one multi-foot accumulating snow fall from a single storm while growing up in southeast Michigan, but there seems to be one or more every other year that hits NYC. However, New York doesn't get many 3-5 inch snowfalls while Detroit seems to get them every couple weeks during the winter months.

And yeah, Detroit doesn't get hurricanes, obviously.

I feel similar living in Missouri. We don't have large-scale natural disasters very often. The most we ever get from hurricanes in the Gulf is severe storms. We have tornadoes, but they usually [[except for Joplin) have few casualties. We are overdue for a major earthquake, according to most scientists.

The middle of the country is relatively safe, though you never want to assume that a natural disaster is impossible.

... just wait for the next major New Madrid Fault earthquake to hit in SE Missouri... likely it will do catastrophic damage to Memphis and St. Louis, and lesser damage to other cities within a 500 mile radius. And like the great quakes of 1811-12... the church bells of New England will ring on their own again during the aftershocks...

The greatest and deadliest natural disaster threat Detroit faces is an ice storm with high winds followed by weeks of prolonged sub-zero temperatures, like the Great Quebec Ice Storm of 1998. Add a Fukushima Daiichi-scale meltdown of Fermi into the mix and the catastrophe is complete as no one could evacuate.

I didn't say my area is impervious to natural disaster. I was just saying the middle of the country faces fewer natural disasters than the coasts.

No place is safe from any natural disaster.

Man this is great no one tried to dog me out.

I remember the tornado that touched down in Detroit, it hit in Highland Park and damaged that oil change store on Woodward.
    And, I remember as a youngster, being afraid of a tornado and having to go into the basement, but nothing happen.

Now, I was in LA during a earthquake and I enjoyed it. I was with a lady, she started screaming and I thought it was me, especially since it only lasted a minute.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=lhz441

forecasting up to 25 to 37-foot waves off Port Austin, MI tonite...

Michigan gets tornadoes, but no where near the frequency/intensity of the plains states, including Illinois. We can have brutal winters and summers, but they usually are ok. [[this summer sucked! I'm not a big fan of that level of heat!) the winter storms are no where near as nasty as nor'easters get. California is overrated. I laugh when they institute water conservation rules in so. cal. I've been known to take video of me watering the lawn in the rain, taking a sip out of a giant pitcher of water and dumping the rest on the driveway, putting food color on different sides of the toilet and recording how they mix when I flush and all sorts of other water-wasting fun. I then sent them to friends there. Earthquakes? we have virtually no chance of getting anything major here. If I were in Memphis, I'd be very worried about that New Madrid fault

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Earthquakes? we have virtually no chance of getting anything major here. If I were in Memphis, I'd be very worried about that New Madrid fault
    Schools in Western KY & TN have earthquake drills, they're very worried about New Madrid fault

Who? Li'l ol' me?

GUSHI Guest

Breaking New, Sandy destroy most of the east coast, foring residence of the former east coast of the untied states, to move to other areas,

In related news the city of Detroit population reaches over 1.5 million due to the residence of the former east coast getting relocated to Detroit and other rust belt cities, the east side of Detroit see tent cities built, popping up over night, Detroit hasn't seen this much of population growth in over 50 years. Why Detroit you make ask, simple because the infacstructure was already there.

Oh-er, umm, what timing! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Now, I was in LA during a earthquake and I enjoyed it. I was with a lady, she started screaming and I thought it was me, especially since it only lasted a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Breaking New, Sandy destroy most of the east coast, foring residence of the former east coast of the untied states, to move to other areas,

In related news the city of Detroit population reaches over 1.5 million due to the residence of the former east coast getting relocated to Detroit and other rust belt cities, the east side of Detroit see tent cities built, popping up over night, Detroit hasn't seen this much of population growth in over 50 years. Why Detroit you make ask, simple because the infacstructure was already there.
    And the "third coast" population skyrockets to 4 million

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast