Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kronk Closed - Sign Removed, Doors padlocked by Emanuel Steward Family

The Free Press is reporting that Kronk gym has been by locked up and memorabilia removed following the passing of Detroit boxing legend Emanuel Steward.

The gym had been operating at his expense on a month-by-month basis and his family, citing fears of scavengers stealing the items as had happened after his restaurant on Jefferson closed years back, ordered the move.

The future of this historic gym is clouded. I feel sorry for the boxers who were training there and are now left in the lurch. Hopefully some benefactor will step up and continue the tradition.

^^ I agree. I hope they can find a way to keep this famed institution open.

Kronx Gym died when scrappers riped the copper out of the Kronx Recreation Center back in 2006. The storefront on Warren has no history.

Whats an old car wash? I can remember when the Kronk was a pharmacy that catered to the Poles in the neighborhood. It also sold catholic stuff.

There is a gym on St Aubin that I thought was the site of the current Kronk, but I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Kronx Gym died when scrappers riped the copper out of the Kronx Recreation Center back in 2006. The storefront on Warren has no history.

That Storefront the the historic Kronk Gym used to be was a last Polish owned pharmacy and convenient store called 'Polska Apteka' Since a lot of Arab Muslims are taken over Warrendale and keeping black folks north of Tireman Rd. An Arab owned meat market or dollar store would be a future opportunity.
    Last edited by Danny; October-29-12 at 10:46 AM.

I remember that too Danny! Apteka must be polish for Apothecary.