Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's that smell? [Downtown Friday Night]

What was that dead rat smell that was all over downtown last night? It seemed to coming from the strongish westerly wind. I've never noticed something like it before. We actually opened up the hood at first thinking some critter had crawled up and died in there, before realizing it wasn't coming from the car.

We smelled something too as we rolled down I-75 toward downtown and passed through the I-94 interchange. We assumed it must be the incinerator and thought What great timing!!

It wasn't too noticeable in downtown proper but as we headed up Woodward an hour later, we caught another whiff.

The Giants are in town and are stinkin' up the place!

Beer farts from BeerFest?!

We can test that theory again this afternoon.

I'll be doing my part.

Everyone on the deck at the Majestic was commenting, it was so vile. Musta' been a slow garbage day at the incinerator so they mixed the diapers with the recycliing to keep the steam flowing.

Speaking of burning the recycling, isn't there a political ad running that lambastes "an alternative energy plant that got a $40M dollar tax subsidy but only created 39 jobs?" Or something like that, and it's obviously the incinerator [[which 99.9% of the public hates), but no mention is given to it.

I love how these d-bags run these adds and give you the least amount of info possible.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; October-27-12 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Everyone on the deck at the Majestic was commenting, it was so vile. Musta' been a slow garbage day at the incinerator so they mixed the diapers with the recycliing to keep the steam flowing.

I love how these d-bags run these adds and give you the least amount of info possible.

There may be a subconscious message in your mixing of the diapers and the d-bags in there somewhere. Dont throw the baby with the bathwater type thing?

Speaking of the incinerator:

Why are there so many police vehicles coming in and out of that place? I pass it on my home during the week and there is usually a cop car pulling out or going in almost every time I go by. Drug incineration?

That smell has occasionally permeated the midtown area for as long as I can remember. But we only notice it when strong downdrafts occur, or when the main pressure release valves coming from the incinerator are opened, releasing the putrid diaper stench from the local manholes within about a mile radius.

It's the one reason I have for not wanting to live by that area again. Many would not care, but that rancidity makes me want to retch.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    . But we only notice it when strong downdrafts occur
    There have been a lot of Strong Downdrafts on this board lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There have been a lot of Strong Downdrafts on this board
    lately.
    Haha!! Yeah, I try to avoid those...

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post

Why are there so many police vehicles coming in and out of that place? I pass it on my home during the week and there is usually a cop car pulling out or going in almost every time I go by. Drug incineration?
    I've noticed that, too. Do they uncover stolen goods in the trash? Body parts? Contraband? Or, is it just a good place to go and get lost for a couple of hours if you don't want to be on patrol. But, you're right, Islandman, there always seems to be a cop car coming or going from there.

Smelled like natural gas to me. I was worried somebody was gonna light up a smoke and the whole block was gonna blow up.

i thought they stopped the incinerator
    edit.
    NVM
    Last edited by rex; October-28-12 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post

That would be my best guess. They have to destroy the drugs somehow.

They should make the incinerator blow smoke rings. One benefit not mentioned in that article is that it gives the smoke an extra push upward away from sensitive noses. Here's a video of one in Canada.

Or just have the incinerator incinerate itself.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-28-12 at 01:04 PM.

Found out the answer. There is a gas station in there for city vehicles. Must be fun going to that dump to gas up.

Default Still Smelling on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by chopps View Post
    What was that dead rat smell that was all over downtown last night? It seemed to coming from the strongish westerly wind. I've never noticed something like it before. We actually opened up the hood at first thinking some critter had crawled up and died in there, before realizing it wasn't coming from the car.
    I was downtown on Monday and it smelled horrible. I'm not kidding; it was like rotting meat or fish. I then crossed over to Windsor and could smell it there too [[I think the wind was out of the North so Windsor was downwind). Could it be coming from the river? Anyone who was downtown on Monday had to smell it...it was that overpowering.