Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default No Love For "Lawrence" ?

I know it's late in the year, and I have tried contacting other sources to strike up at least a winter's passion for my idea - I thought maybe the DFT might be persuaded, or the Redford Theater or The Fox for one night, but no. The film format seems to be dead. Everything is digital now, and if not IMAX-ed, it's mostly home viewing, right? My guess is that film societies are having trouble finding films that are presentable right out of their cans.

December 2012 marks the 50th Anniversary of the roadshow release of David Lean's, "Lawrence of Arabia." This of course is old school, big canvas story telling at its finest. It's Michigan premiere was at the Madison Theater in Grand Circus Park. It would have been nice if a clean 35mm or 70mm print could have been shown somewhere in Metro Detroit to mark this happy occasion. But perhaps the actual film format is the stumbling block. I have been told that 65mm prints [[70mm when a projectors lamp is cast through the film and the appropriate lens) are non-existant. [[The Fox showed a 70mm print many years ago, maybe the early 80s; as did The Redford at some point-in-time) Perhaps the same is true for 35mm prints

At any rate I wanted to bring this to your attention dear reader, with the fervent hope that if you are in any way involved with or a supporter of any revival film series or theater, you might kick this idea around - again, if "Lawrence" exists as film. Digital "films" are clear and crisp - yes, but cold and flat on a large screen. Celluloid is like vinyl music, it has warmth and depth. Classic film is "classic" for many reasons, one of them is surely the format the scenes were shot in. Gistok, I'll let you pick the showplace of your mind to view "Lawrence" - just save "reserved seats" for the rest of us.

One of the first things the Fox showed after it's rehab was Lawernce of Arabia. I too am surprised no one's showing it. Maybe it's passe` and no one cares.

Surely the DFT and Redford Theaters still have film projectors. It is more likely they couldn't just squeeze something into their schedules.

There was a DVD made of a print discovered in some vault ten or twelve years ago. I've got it in a fancy package, with the whole back-story about the transfer to digital. I never looked for it on BluRay, I'm still not convinced it is better than DVD.

I'd bet an upscaled large-screen projection of that, using even a decent home projector and surround, would be an entertaining few hours in the desert.

This is one event I'd love to have sponsored by Red Bull, though. Those extended sandy scenes are a wee too much for the average movie goer today. Folks're going to need a bump, maybe espresso during the intermission.

Lawrence of Arabia screened at the Redford Theatre in August 2009. That's only three years ago. 70mm print too.

http://redfordtheatre.com/filmdatabase/2009.htm

Downtown Guest

It also screened in Ann Arbor [[Ypsi) a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.annarbor.com/2012/09/26/Sep27-Oct04.pdf

Ah yes.... Lawrence of Arabia.... glad it's still available in 70mm.... I too saw it in the early 1990s at the newly restored Fox Theatre, back when they had weekend matinee movie showings [[along with The Wizard of Oz and other classics). Sadly those matinee shows soon ended, probably were not money makers in the vast Fox auditorium.

But yes it would be wonderful to have a 50th anniversary showing... similar to what they did with The Birds... and the Redford Theatre would make a great location.

Of course if they got 80 year old Peter O'Toole out of retirement [[born 1932, did the movie at age 30)... it would make it worthy of a Fox Theatre showing....

Not sure if Peter O'Toole is still fit enough for travel... from what I can gather, his last performance was as Pope Paul III on Showtime's THE TUDORS... as seen in this 2008 interview.... [[he was 76 at the time, and the talk about Lawrence towards the end of the interview)....
    http://youtu.be/FfBJvQ0ivxw

But I have to agree that a showing of Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen would be wonderful. The Fox has projection equipment capable of both 35mm and 70mm film, and the Fox movie screen is 29 x 62 ft.

I love the Redford, but the screen is small, the sound a little muffled and I'd doubt they have a 70mm projector. I don't want to sound mean, just factual, as I go to the Redford at least once a month. Their entire vibe is cool. From their all-volunteer staff, to the 50/50 drawing, the organ, the sweet potato place across the street, ... The whole thing is great, but not a place for 70mm films, because the screen isn't wide enough. I'd assume the same for DFT. their aspect ratio can't accommodate the width of 70mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    One of the first things the Fox showed after it's rehab was Lawernce of Arabia. I too am surprised no one's showing it. Maybe it's passe` and no one cares.
    I remember that. Didn't they create "sand dunes" for it?

Downtown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I love the Redford, but the screen is small, the sound a little muffled and I'd doubt they have a 70mm projector. I don't want to sound mean, just factual, as I go to the Redford at least once a month. Their entire vibe is cool. From their all-volunteer staff, to the 50/50 drawing, the organ, the sweet potato place across the street, ... The whole thing is great, but not a place for 70mm films, because the screen isn't wide enough. I'd assume the same for DFT. their aspect ratio can't accommodate the width of 70mm.
    Redford can do 70mm.

http://redfordtheatre.com/pbooth/

Downtown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    So can the Fox.

http://www.noahkern.com/techspecs/de...-techspecs.pdf

wow, I'm surprised. Thank you for correcting me. I never should have spouted off without doing the proper research. Lesson learned.

Again.

Downtown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    wow, I'm surprised. Thank you for correcting me. I never should have spouted off without doing the proper research. Lesson learned.

Again.
    It's all good.

This is a rare format. I think we're lucky to have so many potential venues close-to-home. [[The Main Art in Royal Oak may also house a 70mm projector.)

It's all good.

This is a rare format. I think we're lucky to have so many potential venues close-to-home. [[The Main Art in Royal Oak may also house a 70mm projector.)
    Yeah, if you don't learn something new every day, you are already halfway dead!

Reading through that page, I learned that there were two attempts from Todd AO to change the frame rate to 30fps. That must've caused an uproar with the bean-counters of Hollywood. Heck, some film purists think 24fps was dictated by God, even the atheist and agnostic ones.

The other day, I learned through old copies of LIFE magazine that the first 3d movie in the early 50s was NOT a red/blue differential, it used polarization lenses in cheap frames from Polaroid. I would've lost a big bet on that, since I was pretty secure that the red/blue predated the polarization process. Blew my mind.

And the name of that first 3d film? Bwana Devil. I'm sure it would be considered politically incorrect today.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; October-28-12 at 08:45 AM.

Interestingly enough Todd AO was a product of Michael Todd... the former husband of Elizabeth Taylor [[he died in a plane crash while they were married, so I think that was her only non-divorce).

Wide screen Todd AO and Cinerama caused a lot of damage to old movie palaces... as can still be seen by the missing parts of the decayed remnants of the Detroit United Artists Theatre [[part of the procenium arch around the stage is missing today). And the damage was also found in Music Hall... which required not only removing the side opera boxes... but painting [[and toning down the color) of the ceiling plasterwork.