Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit, Plus Two Cities

I was wondering if Detroit is the only or among a few cities that has not one but two subcities within its borders.

I was traveling downtown Woodward goes south toward downtown and I passed through Highland Park. Now there isn't much said about Highland Park except for it many troubles but the lights are still on and I saw they have had a few new development projects, some residential units, a few years back some commercial strip malls and just recently opened a oil change shop. I know that the Neighborhood Service Organization renovated the old Michigan Bell Building into their executive office and housing for the homeless, etc. So Highland Park is alive and well. Also, I attended their second annual city expo and had a great time.
    Name:  images-2.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  10.0 KB

And, the other subcity that I'm not sure if it had a functioning independent government is Delray. True Delray is all but a ghost town, but I'm sure people still live within its boundaries and I saw some artistic butterflies nailed on various vacate storefronts along Fort Street so I submise not everyone has given up on the area.

Name:  images-1.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  10.1 KB

Is The Great Detroit so great?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i was under the impression that the two cities within the borders of detroit were highland park and hamtramck...

This shows a few. Seems more common than you'd think.

http://realestate.msn.com/-weve-got-...-within-cities
    Last edited by sturge; October-26-12 at 11:02 AM. Reason: bad link

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I was wondering if Detroit is the only or among a few cities that has not one but two subcities within its boarders.
    LA has many cities within its borders. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Culver City, and San Fernando are some. Hollywood is a neighborhood, not a city, but is usually identified separately, and has had a secessionist movement.

I'm pretty sure that Dallas and Houston also have separate cities with their boundaries. There are a few others.

Delray is not an enclave/subcity. It's just a neighbourhood within Detroit. And you're forgetting Hamtramck.

If you want to see enclave/exclave madness, have a look at Baarle-Nassau in the Netherlands/Belgium. A ton of enclaves and even sub-enclaves of each country within the other.

Like Del-Ray, Warrendale was also a separate city for a few years prior to be amalgamated.

Detroit did have a lot of sub-cities after it annex its surrounding suburbs up to 1930.

When Detroit annexed Del-Rey in 1909. It's downtown was at W. Jefferson and West End.

The Old Downtown Redford TWP. was at Grand River Ave. and McNichols Rd.

Downtown Warrendale was at W. Warren Ave. from Southfield Rd. now [[ FWY) to Rouge River area.

Downtown Perrinville was at Grand River Ave near Telegraph Rd.

Downtown Springwells was at Bagley Rd. from 16th to 25th Street.

There are some suburbs that annex its village downtowns:

Warren annexed Old Downtown Warrenville on Mound Rd. and Chicago Rd.

Dearborn annexed Downtown Fordson on Ford Rd. and Coolidge Rd. [[Schaefer HWY) and Downtown Dearbornville on Dix and Vernor Rd. [[now Arabian Village)

Wyandotte annexed Downtown Manquaqua, a small downtown of Ford City.

Downtown Clarenceville on Ann Arbor Trail and Merriman Rd. and Downtown Nankin TWP on Farmington Rd, Joy Rd. and Ann Arbor Rd. was completely assorbed and the City was Westland was born. This is prevent Livonia from having the northern portion of Nankin TWP for development of Westland Mall.

Downtown Cherry Hill was complety absorbed and its building either destroyed or moved to Dearborn.
    Last edited by Danny; October-26-12 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    LA has many cities within its borders. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Culver City, and San Fernando are some. Hollywood is a neighborhood, not a city, but is usually identified separately, and has had a secessionist movement.

I'm pretty sure that Dallas and Houston also have separate cities with their boundaries. There are a few others.
    With Los Angeles super annexation attempts. Downtown Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd and Vine St. was annexed during the early 1920s to seek regional taxation credits with the up and coming film industry.

City of London
    As the City's boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis, though it remains a notable part of central London, holds city status in its own right, and is a separate ceremonial county....

The [City of London] Corporation is headed by the Lord Mayor of the City of London, an office separate from [[and much older than) the Mayor of London.
    It gets insanely complicated. The [[Secret) City of London:

Other than Hollywood, none of the cities you listed are a part of Los Angeles [[Los Angeles County, yes, but not Los Angeles city).

Saying Beverly Hills is within the borders of Los Angeles is like saying Grosse Pointe is within the borders of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Saying Beverly Hills is within the borders of Los Angeles is like saying Grosse Pointe is within the borders of Detroit.
    That's not true. Beverly Hills is completely surrounded by the city of Los Angeles. It's just like Hamtramck and Highland Park [[i.e. independent city surrounded by larger city).

Hollywood is just a neighborhood, though it has tried for secesssion.

The other neighborhoods [[San Fernando, West Hollywood and the like) are also just like Hamtramck and Highland Park. They are completely surrounded by LA [[LA City).

That's not true. Beverly Hills is completely surrounded by the city of Los Angeles. It's just like Hamtramck and Highland Park [[i.e. independent city surrounded by larger city).

Hollywood is just a neighborhood, though it has tried for secesssion.

The other neighborhoods [[San Fernando, West Hollywood and the like) are also just like Hamtramck and Highland Park. They are completely surrounded by LA [[LA City).
    Ok.

You didn't say those cities were surrounded by Los Angeles before, but that they are within the borders of Los Angeles [[there's a difference)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Other than Hollywood, none of the cities you listed are a part of Los Angeles [[Los Angeles County, yes, but not Los Angeles city).

He's saying that Beverly Hills is surrounded by Los Angeles, which it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I was wondering if Detroit is the only or among a few cities that has not one but two subcities within its borders.
    Just from visiting places:
    Indianapolis has a few
    Los Angeles has two
    Chicago has one
    Cincinnati has two

I'd do more quick map views using google, but it seems like there's a lot. So your answer is No. Detroit is not unique. This is common.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ......There are some suburbs that annex its village downtowns:

Warren annexed Old Downtown Warrenville on Mound Rd. and Chicago Rd.......
    There has never been a community in Macomb County named "Warrenville" nor did the city of Warren annex the village located at Mound and Chicago Roads.

The "Village of Warren" was formed on April 28, 1893. It was a one square mile area from 13 Mile Road to 14 Mile Road and extending one-half mile on either side of Mound Road [source]. This one-square mile area was jointly governed by both the Warren Township board of trustees and the Warren Village council and its population was always counted as part of Warren Township.

The city of Warren was chartered on Oct. 27, 1956 and its area included all of the former Warren Township, including the former Village of Warren. There was no annexation involved in the formation of the city of Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    There has never been a community in Macomb County named "Warrenville" nor did the city of Warren annex the village located at Mound and Chicago Roads.

The "Village of Warren" was formed on April 28, 1893. It was a one square mile area from 13 Mile Road to 14 Mile Road and extending one-half mile on either side of Mound Road [source]. This one-square mile area was jointly governed by both the Warren Township board of trustees and the Warren Village council and its population was always counted as part of Warren Township.

The city of Warren was chartered on Oct. 27, 1956 and its area included all of the former Warren Township, including the former Village of Warren. There was no annexation involved in the formation of the city of Warren.
    Good try though Danny.

kiraly

very interesting video.
    koszonom

Nearby, take a look at Bratenahl, OH -- its contained within Cleveland -- unless you take a boat. There's some social commentary to be had on this one.

I can't think of any example of TWO cities [[besides Detroit, HP, and Ham town), but even the metro area has several examples of a city within a city.

Center Line is completely within Warren.

Lathrup Village is completely within Southfield.

Bloomfield Hills [[a city) is almost completely with Bloomfield Township [[not a city)

Farmington is almost completely within Farmington Hills

Rochester is almost completely within Rochester Hills

Other oddities, Redford is NOT a city, it is only a township.

Another oddity that some people don't realize is that school districts generally have different borders than the city they may be named after.

Detroit, Highland Park, Hamtramck, and Clawson have school districts that match their borders. Royal Oak almost has matching borders with the Royal Oak school district.

Most other cities don't have a school district with matching borders. Warren has six school districts within its boundaries. Warren Consolidated Schools cover Warren, Sterling Heights, and ever spill over into Troy in Oakland County.

I love researching these political boundaries and why they are the way they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Nearby, take a look at Bratenahl, OH -- its contained within Cleveland -- unless you take a boat. There's some social commentary to be had on this one.
    Another interesting one in Cleveland is Linndale. It's not completely within Cleveland, but it's a very small city that has 422 yards of the I-71 freeway going through it. The city is notorious for traffic enforcement on I-71 even though it's only 0.1 square miles big with a population of 179 souls.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I can't think of any example of TWO cities [[besides Detroit, HP, and Ham town), but even the metro area has several examples of a city within a city.

Center Line is completely within Warren.

Lathrup Village is completely within Southfield.

Bloomfield Hills [[a city) is almost completely with Bloomfield Township [[not a city)

Farmington is almost completely within Farmington Hills

Rochester is almost completely within Rochester Hills

Other oddities, Redford is NOT a city, it is only a township.

Another oddity that some people don't realize is that school districts generally have different borders than the city they may be named after.

Detroit, Highland Park, Hamtramck, and Clawson have school districts that match their borders. Royal Oak almost has matching borders with the Royal Oak school district.

Most other cities don't have a school district with matching borders. Warren has six school districts within its boundaries. Warren Consolidated Schools cover Warren, Sterling Heights, and ever spill over into Troy in Oakland County.

I love researching these political boundaries and why they are the way they are!
    St. Clair Shores has 3 school districts.
    The 5 Grosse Pointes and a small part of Harper Woods are the opposite sharing one school system.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    St. Clair Shores has 3 school districts.
    The 5 Grosse Pointes and a small part of Harper Woods are the opposite sharing one school system.
    Also, a small portion of SCS is also in the L'Anse Cruese district, while Southlake Schools includes parts of Eastpointe and Grosse Pointe Shores.