Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Dozen Game-Changing Buildings in Metro Detroit

"What does metro Detroit architecture need more of? That’s the question we posed to four prominent metro-area architects, and their answers skewed not towards brand-new buildings, but towards brand-new ways to renovate and expand existing structures.

The architects were asked to name three recent constructions that have energized the metro area and set architectural examples worth following. ..."

Check out the list!! Agree? Disagree? What building is missing from the list?

http://www.metromodemedia.com/featur...cture0275.aspx

I was excited to read this until I saw the list had only one Detroit project, the RenCen/Riverwalk, and the rest were in the suburbs.

Now I regret giving that website the click. Warning to other DYessers if you feel similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I was excited to read this until I saw the list had only one Detroit project, the RenCen/Riverwalk, and the rest were in the suburbs.

Now I regret giving that website the click. Warning to other DYessers if you feel similarly.
    Thanks for heads up.

I know the title says "Metro Detroit", but I didn't know it was mostly Metro and not Detroit.

Vinsetta Garage? I love the project but to list it as a game changer in an architectural treasure chest like Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Thanks for heads up.

I know the title says "Metro Detroit", but I didn't know it was mostly Metro and not Detroit.
    It has been my experience that "Metro Detroit" usually means outside of the city limits.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; October-26-12 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Vinsetta Garage? I love the project but to list it as a game changer in an architectural treasure chest like Detroit?
    Well, I agree with that one.

Anyway let's look at this objectively. They're looking for recent construction. I'm having trouble thinking of recent construction in Detroit that is architectually significant. I would certainly say the Dequindre Cut, but that isn't really a building.

I always found One Detroit Center to be somewhat of a model new skyscraper, but that was already twenty years ago.

There is a lot of unrivaled old stuff, but not a lot of new stuff. Certainly not a lot of earth-shattering new stuff.

Though I am sure this individual's past experiences and predispositions played a big role in what he was able to find...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Thanks for heads up.

It has been my experience that "Metro Detroit" usually mean outside of the city limits.
    I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

The only one on the list that I thought seemed potentially "game changing" was the Lear renovation. Maybe I just have a different definition of "game change"? That seemed like a true adaptive reuse and goes against the grain of the throwaway culture in Metro Detroit so I would include that on my "game change" list. When I think of "game change", I think things like the BC, Fort Shelby, Globe warehouse or Broderick Tower renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Maybe the writer knows Michael Poris. I like how if you read the comments Poris mentions his own work several times and is one of the first posters. Real classy.

agreed with dequindre cut and riverwalk, they forgot campus martius and upcoming midtown loop greenway. not to mention the eventual daylighting of blood run creek. theses are game changers.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Maybe the writer knows Michael Poris. I like how if you read the comments Poris mentions his own work several times and is one of the first posters. Real classy.
    strange..typically architects are more humble about their ego. maybe he should've been a surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Anyway let's look at this objectively. They're looking for recent construction. I'm having trouble thinking of recent construction in Detroit that is architectually significant. I would certainly say the Dequindre Cut, but that isn't really a building.
    from the OP

their answers skewed not towards brand-new buildings, but towards brand-new ways to renovate and expand existing structures.
    I would think that the Broderick and other recent rehabs would qualify for something like this.

OP just didn't understand his/her audience. Why would he/she post that here?

"I would think that the Broderick and other recent rehabs would qualify for something like this."

Or how about these?

^ If you spilled your coffee off that desk you wouldn't even notice the carpet stain. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    When I think of "game change", I think things like the BC, Fort Shelby, Globe warehouse or Broderick Tower renovations.
    While I think that what was done with Book Cadillac and the Fort Shelby, those are great renovations of originally hotel space, and they don't look like they've been recreated, just really nicely renovated.

The Broderick Tower renovation would qualify since the bulk of that building was office and retail as opposed to residential which it will now be.

Certainly the Globe is a candidate, taking an old machine shop facility to something new, but only if it works!

I like to think that probably the greatest "game changer" right now in Metro Detroit wasn't even mentioned [[in the article or the thread)...

And that is what is being done to Cobo Arena and environs. Rather than the "rip it down and start from scratch" mentality, wiser heads ruled and rehabbing it into some functional as well as soaring spaces that ties the River Walk into Cobo as well as opens up the convention center to downtown is a very attractive way to do adaptive reuse and at the same time modernizing the space...

http://youtu.be/G12-DNjX70Y
    Last edited by Gistok; October-26-12 at 02:36 PM.

^^I'm going with Gistok on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I like to think that probably the greatest "game changer" right now in Metro Detroit wasn't even mentioned [[in the article or the thread)...

And that is what is being done to Cobo Arena and environs. Rather than the "rip it down and start from scratch" mentality, wiser heads ruled and rehabbing it into some functional as well as soaring spaces that ties the River Walk into Cobo as well as opens up the convention center to downtown is a very attractive way to do adaptive reuse and at the same time modernizing the space...
    Definitely one to watch. Probably not mentioned because it is not yet completed and proven.

Slim pickings...

If you gave an out of town architect a tour using this list, you'd end up embarrassing yourself. Only a few of the buildings would impress anyone.

Even Cranbrook is disappointing. Steven Holl is an internationally recognized architect and taught there for a little while, so him designing a building there is what you'd expect as normal. SmithGroup did a generally good job with their addition, but it nowhere near matches the caliber of the Saarinen building that it expanded. And then there are a ton of buildings on their campus that were designed by architects selected because of money connections, not because of the quality of their work. Cranbrook is all around a great school, and their art school is one of the best in the country, with an incredible heritage [[the Eames, Saarinen, etc.). You would expect an institution like Cranbrook to hire the best architects in the world, and they don't.

My hope is in Detroit, because the types of people who are moving there are design conscious, and I'm hoping they'll raise design standards.

This is merely about building renovations and expansions... not new builds...

But it does send me on my annual rant about new architecture that no one except architects understands or loves... [[not all new architecture... just some of the quirkier stuff)...

Mercifully we should be lucky that Frank Gehry didn't design a trash compacted can "old gimmick" look to the RenCen or any of these building additions. Ditto for a lot of "cutting edge" architects, that produce buildings that are unique to look at, but become maintenance nightmares... and are often abhorred by the general public... but loved by architectural students...

I always get a chuckle out of the Sydney Opera House which, although it is beautiful... and people fall over themselves with superlatives over how wonderful it looks... when realistically it will in the future cost hundreds of millions to correct some of its' maintenance issues. Also, it's a failure acoustically [[always placing 18-20 in the top 20 opera houses acoustically), and is a failure as an opera house... [[they can only stage truck and coach opera's)... grand opera has to be staged elsewhere because of the lack of space and mechanical.

And don't get me started about LA's [[typical Gehry designed) Disney Concert Hall... due to it's metallic exterior, it has blinded motorists, caused hot spots on nearby pedestrian areas that due to the parabolic curves cause temperatures in excess of 140 degrees, and has [[again due to reflections) caused the air conditioning bills of nearby apartment owners to double! And then the acoustics have to keep being fine tuned. All these issues had to be addressed after it was finished.

Whenever I hear the term "cutting edge"... I am reminded of Dr. Frankenstein going into architecture... and building a monster of a building that we have to endure... such as the Scottish Parliament Building... that looks like it was stitched together from different building parts...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ed...2006-04-29.jpg

Rant Over...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Slim pickings...

You would expect an institution like Cranbrook to hire the best architects in the world, and they don't.
    Certainly "best" is subjective, but I think most in the design community would agree that Steven Holl is among the best architects in the world. He's a starchitect and a very well-regarded academic.

12 is a pretty arbitrary number, but I think we can get there with a list of much more interesting buildings that are in progress presently in the D. Here's four, plus the aforementioned Globe building and Broderick tower:

The Grand Army of the Republic [[GAR) building on Cass @ Grand River has been getting its new roof [[copper!) installed the past few days. That's a pretty remarkable project, from my understanding -- a very old, stone building getting reworked with all the conveniences of a modern office. Things like HVAC get a lot more tricky to install when the original builder didn't plan for them.

The David Whitney Building is still months away from starting demo work, but the design plan sounds pretty hot -- hotel/apartments, with retail and dining that integrates with the People Mover. It helps that they're starting from something so awesome: the hallways are done in marble all the way up to the top floor. Nevermind the three-story atrium lobby.

The Green Garage is a pretty radical building. If anything, I think it goes too far [[they built it so the drywall can be reused).

Although technically in Hamtramck, the deconstruction of 2328 Carpenter St was a brilliant example of what could be done with the blight in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    ... The Grand Army of the Republic [[GAR) building on Cass @ Grand River has been getting its new roof [[copper!) installed the past few days....
    Wow! If possible we should preserve timestamped photos of the untarnished roof when completed. The historic record will value those photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Certainly "best" is subjective, but I think most in the design community would agree that Steven Holl is among the best architects in the world. He's a starchitect and a very well-regarded academic.
    Yes, I mentioned that in the second sentence and said that hiring someone like him is what you'd normally expect to be the norm.

Glaringly absent, IMO, is Compuware. Not only is it architecturally significant, particularly with its stunning soaring atrium, it has turned out to be a true 'game changer'. It is has set the tone and spirit for the revitalization of downtown Detroit and become the new heart of downtown.

The RenCen which made the list, while a noble effort to do the same, failed miserably in that attempt. It's "Ghetto Renaissance" architectural style that walled it off from the rest of the city [since reversed somewhat with the berm removal], its relatively isolated location and its still incomprehensible foot-traffic interior and access have plagued that effort.

By contrast Compuware is in the heart of the downtown, spills out into the surrounding streets and flows naturally with foot traffic.

The nature of its business, information technology, has also redefined the business focus of downtown and created the magnet around which other IT businesses large [Dan Gilbert] and small [including our tiny AtDetroit/DetroitYES] have gravitated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast