Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where are all of these people coming from?

I have noticed a lot of people walking around downtown, especially during lunch time. Now I suspect that they are Quicken Loans people, Compuware people, people who work in that glass building in Campus Martius park, and some new smaller companies's people. Plus, the new residents probably get out and show their faces in the downtown.

This surge has got to be good for the restaurants, bars, cleaners, shoe shine, clothiers, convenience stores and that massage parlor with the closed blinds. Maybe this is why Wild Wings, Joe Muer's, Oga's and other have taken a chance on downtown.

And, these new people are venturing out. I see them walking around Greektown, between Campus Martius and the Renaissance and even up Woodward to Grand Circus.

Now, I been doing downtown for a long time, worked there during high school, for two years after college and then located my business in the Ford Building after returning from a few years living in Atlanta and I can't remember it being this crowded.

Maybe this is another feather for the return of The Great Detroit.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  12.6 KB
    Last edited by Traxus; October-25-12 at 02:22 PM.

Strong...
    A lot of us have been down here for quite a while like the City and County workers; the countless law offices in various buildings and don't forget the GM folks. There's now much more choices and venues to visit during lunch than before.

Maybe you could walk around downtown with a video camera and ask them. Then you can include their responses in your documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Maybe you could walk around downtown with a video camera and ask them. Then you can include their responses in your documentary.
    Great suggestion, thanks.
    Have you seen the short video of the film? The Great Detroit is a series of interviews to give insight about the positive sides of Detroit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCmzNOIFlg

Strong, what you are seeing is the real deal, as mentioned earlier, take it from us who have lived here, and/or worked for a couple of decades,, What i find so unusual is some of the comments on here that this is just " event" traffic. If thats the case this is the longest lasting event I have ever seen.. Really, for those who doubt so much, come down here and do your own test several times during the week , or weekend, It is much busier . There is a material influx of residents also,, I notice a major increase in the number of people jogging on the streets and walking their dogs after work hours when I do my daily early evening walk around downtown. Nor am I alone doing this by any means.

We already know the answer to the rhetorical question "Where Are All Of These People Coming From?" They are from the Suburbs. Two of my extended family travel from a Suburb to Detroit daily to work. A more pertinent question to ask is if/when they intend to move their home to Detroit. This will give you a reading on how soon you will get your 300.000 influx.
    Last edited by coracle; October-25-12 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Great suggestion, thanks.
    Have you seen the short video of the film? The Great Detroit is a series of interviews to give insight about the positive sides of Detroit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCmzNOIFlg
    Yes I've seen the video on You Tube and I made comments about it.

am i the only one who pulls their hair out every time a post like this is made?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    am i the only one who pulls their hair out every time a post like this is made?
    Ryan... please pass the Rogaine...

I have never been shy in mixing it up. But this guy is harmless. Tiresome? Yep. Every one of his unicorn pony ride schemes are laughable, but harmless. When he gets mean or disrespectful of other people, I'd consider stepping forward, but I try to keep in mind you should never kill a mockingbird, kill all the bluejays you want, but mockingbirds cause no harm, they just sing.

or not

"am i the only one who pulls their hair out every time a post like this is made?"

Does anyone know a good wig shop?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "am i the only one who pulls their hair out every time a post like this is made?"

Don't know about a good one, but I see wig shops all over Detroit.

Not all of "these" people are coming from the suburbs . I work downtown and see a lot of "these" new people and it's a part of my job to interact with "these" people. In the past 6 months I've personally met at least a dozen people from the following places , New York City and State, Florida , LA, Chicago ,DC, Western Michigan ,Minn, Spain ect and they all live either Downtown or Midtown.
    A good sign that people are LIVING Downtown and midtown is they work out , I see and meet many at my gym and run into them around town .
    I am almost certain they aren't coming downtown to workout or just eat or drink .
    I'm always giving advice on great new places to eat or grab a cup of coffee .
    Once it's out there they tell 2 friends and so on .
    I guess my point is we all should be good ambassadors for the city, because word of mouth is the best advertising , it even trumps all the negative "news" on TV and print !
    They know and hear all the bad stuff already, however they still come and stay !
    Now our fellow Michiganders from the burbs and across the states , that's another story, turning Detroit around is going to come from folks for outside of the area . We all know how the folks from the local area feel about they city,and that's fine, each person has to take or give to the city what they feel is right for them. All I say is if you don't come into the city and are judging it from your living room in your cul de sac , it's not really fair .

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Don't give him any more ideas for these threads!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Not all of "these" people are coming from the suburbs . I work downtown and see a lot of "these" new people and it's a part of my job to interact with "these" people. In the past 6 months I've personally met at least a dozen people from the following places , New York City and State, Florida , LA, Chicago ,DC, Western Michigan ,Minn, Spain ect and they all live either Downtown or Midtown.
    A good sign that people are LIVING Downtown and midtown is they work out , I see and meet many at my gym and run into them around town .
    I am almost certain they aren't coming downtown to workout or just eat or drink .
    I'm always giving advice on great new places to eat or grab a cup of coffee .
    Once it's out there they tell 2 friends and so on .
    I guess my point is we all should be good ambassadors for the city, because word of mouth is the best advertising , it even trumps all the negative "news" on TV and print !
    They know and hear all the bad stuff already, however they still come and stay !
    Now our fellow Michiganders from the burbs and across the states , that's another story, turning Detroit around is going to come from folks for outside of the area . We all know how the folks from the local area feel about they city,and that's fine, each person has to take or give to the city what they feel is right for them. All I say is if you don't come into the city and are judging it from your living room in your cul de sac , it's not really fair .
    I agree with what you say, but I think it also works in reverse. I read comments on this forum from some who admit they never step foot in the suburbs or avoid the suburbs, yet they feel free to judge the suburbs [[sprawl, cookie cutter houses, etc.). Until we get past this "where I live is better than where you live" mentality, we will remain stuck where we are as a region.

Talked with a couple of restaurant owners during DRW and they all indicated business is up and the amount of foot traffic is increasing with noticable movement on Woodward north of Campus Martius. I have seen people walking between Fisher Xway and Mack, with messenger bags, briefcases, jogging, biking etc. A couple of guys playing frisbee with their dog in Grand Circus Park and the new tenants in the Broderick ought to be noticable. Saw a couple with their toddler walking south on Woodward from Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe with bags of groceries...it all adds up to a positive.

I witness the truth everyday, I have met others who has moved here from NYC, Baltimore, DC and Atlanta, which some are my neighbors here in Midtown. It's a mix of new Detroiters and Michiganders moving here, more than the suburbs residents. Which is fine, it shows that we don't need the suburbs to grow and sustain young, talented citizens to live, work and play here. Everybody always say... this and that business or retail won't survive without people from the suburbs patronizing it....? Hhhmm that's bull! Now, don't get me wrong...their money is some benefit to us, but it doesn't make us nor break us to become a functional city.