Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default RIP Emanuel Steward

Just saw this on the Freep online, but now the story is not there? A huge loss and I hope someone continues his great work with the kids.

Apparently, the rumors of his demise had been greatly exaggerated.

Steward is still alive

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012310250189

The boxing world is reporting his death. Here is the link to the freep story that they pulled.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012102...sey=nav%7Chead

The reporting by the freep just gets better everyday, doesn't it?

It is my thought that Steward died this morning, as first reported by WWJ. But their story didn't quote the family, just people who knew him. His sister fired off a nastygram to the media, saying he was still alive. I think they were grieving and upset that two boxers tweeted, etc., about it before the family had a chance to even mourn.

It was reported on WDIV that he has passed on, so I suspect it's true. A great loss for boxing. RIP.

He is gone now.......RIP Emanuel.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012102...ar|text|NEWS06

When Tommy Hearns was just up and coming, there was a guy I worked with that was just gushing about this "new boxer" and how good he was. At the time I'd never been to a boxing match, so this old dude bought me a ticket and we saw Hearns fight at Olympia.

If you want to call it a fight.......didn't last long. Some guy from South America.....Hearns knocked him down twice, after he got up from the second count, Hearns came at him from across the ring glowering like a man possessed.

This guy went down on one knee, put his hands up and waved no more, I quit.

^^ Yeah, I remember those good old days, late 70's early 80's. Went to a few Hearns fights myself. Was at JLA when he knocked out Pipino Cuevas to win the welterweight title.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-27-12 at 11:04 AM.

I worked at the Little Caesars Pizza Station on Telegraph in Southfield during high school. Emanuel Steward came in one night around Christmas. He asked me how many employees were working and then he gave each of us $5.

Had a chance to meet him on a couple of occasions and he was truly a nice person

Emanuel Steward may've owned the pizzeria in our neighborhood-the one Jimmy Doom worked at-maybe not. One thing is for sure, he and his friends [[including Freddie Guinyard [[Joe Louis's friend) used to come into the Photo/video store my Mom worked at on McNichols. He brought together a lot of elements for the Detroit [[Kronk) Boxing scene.