Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit a Music Haven!

I think that Detroit is a music haven for a number of reasons.
    1) Detroit has a number of music venues, Chene Park, Cobo Hall, Olympic Theater, Fox Theater, 20 Grand, Music Hall and others.
    2) Detroit once had one of the country's best jazz stations, WJZZ. Now I suspect that other cities had/has a 24 hour jazz station but WJZZ was special.
    3) Detroit's Motown influenced the world's music scene. And, I have been told that Detroit has had other music producers/studios
    4) Detroit is the founding city for Electronic Music which has influenced the world's music scene.
    5) Detroit has produced some of the most successful musical entertainers, and not just those under the Motown Label.
    6) Detroit has the nationally known Mosaic Youth Group. And, I was told that they won first place in the world choir competition.
    7) Detroit is the hometown of the national DJ and TV personality Casey Kasem.
    8) Detroit host internationally recognized music festivals, Detroit Jazz Fest, and Electronic Music Fest and regionally known Country Music Fest.

The Great Detroit for a lot of reasons.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  12.4 KB

Ever heard of Rock n Roll
    Detroit Rock City
    Your just scratching the surface with your list.
    Also Cobo is no longer a music venue and Olimpic Theater is long gone

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Ever heard of Rock n Roll
    Detroit Rock City
    Your just scratching the surface with your list.
    Also Cobo is no longer a music venue and Olimpic Theater is long gone

He's saving them for his video.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I think that Detroit is a music haven for a number of reasons.
    1) Detroit has a number of music venues, Chene Park, Cobo Hall, Olympic Theater, Fox Theater, 20 Grand, Music Hall and others.
    2) Detroit once had one of the country's best jazz stations, WJZZ. Now I suspect that other cities had/has a 24 hour jazz station but WJZZ was special.
    3) Detroit's Motown influenced the world's music scene. And, I have been told that Detroit has had other music producers/studios
    4) Detroit is the founding city for Electronic Music which has influenced the world's music scene.
    5) Detroit has produced some of the most successful musical entertainers, and not just those under the Motown Label.
    6) Detroit has the nationally known Mosaic Youth Group. And, I was told that they won first place in the world choir competition.
    7) Detroit is the hometown of the national DJ and TV personality Casey Kasem.
    8) Detroit host internationally recognized music festivals, Detroit Jazz Fest, and Electronic Music Fest and regionally known Country Music Fest.

The Great Detroit for a lot of reasons.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  12.4 KB
    What rock have you been living under? There are tons of sites in the internet dedicated to Detroit and the music scene past and present. A little time with a good search engine will get you there!

Also its time to stop doing all the work he should be doing on his own!!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; October-25-12 at 01:26 PM.

This has to be DANNY in disguise!

If you don't like Strong's post then don't read them.

How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post

How about that?
    Thank you, my post are NOT for my documentary. But doing the documentary peeked my interest which gave me the insight to post like it do. For example my posting about Detroit's downtown became to be most interesting responses.

How about that?
    You got that right! But sometime the plagiarism will have to addressed.

I'm trying to think of the last decade when there was no one from this area making an impact on the national music scene

How about that?
    How can you avoid them... they're everywhere?" You'd have to quit reading the forum....

How about that?
    Last edited by Gistok; October-25-12 at 11:00 AM.

I don't see anything wrong with what strong is posting. He gives gentle reminders and makes you think a bit. He is OK in my book.

After all, if we can have 1,000 posts about how architecturally significant Detroit is, why not this?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-25-12 at 11:15 AM.

"How can you avoid them... they're everywhere?" You'd have to quit reading the forum....

How about that? "

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How can you avoid them... they're everywhere?" You'd have to quit reading the forum....

How about that?
    or you could simply use the "ignore" function.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with what strong is posting. He gives gentle reminders and makes you think a bit. He is OK in my book.

After all, if we can have 1,000 posts about how architecturally significant Detroit is, why not this?
    That thread actually has content that focuses on the beautiful architecture in this area that people everywhere can enjoy [[and that many outside of this area are unaware of) vs. the anemic attempt of reiterating the positives of dystopia most people already know. Oh, and that other thread is not trying to sell anyone anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    or you could simply use the "ignore" function.
    Does it work on threads? I don't think so... what good is not seeing the OP's first post on a thread? Kinda, leaves something to be desired.

I really don't mind his posts... but it's almost like he's thinking out loud... and starting a post about it.... that finishes up with a "link". The Bricklink forum and archives are full of similar notions... perhaps going thru some of them and reopening existing ones would be a better way to go. There must be a dozen existing threads about statues... for example... he could go looking thru the over 1000 topics in the thread list, and I'm sure that there's a topic already related that he could add feedback to. But just starting a new topic that's been talked about here many many times.... is what I find tiresome... the long non-archived thread list is there for a reason... to continue discussions...

Posts like this are what make this forum what it is.

What hate!
    But back to the thread.
    What about Detroit's influence on the world music scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    That thread actually has content that focuses on the beautiful architecture in this area that people everywhere can enjoy [[and that many outside of this area are unaware of) vs. the anemic attempt of reiterating the positives of dystopia most people already know. Oh, and that other thread is not trying to sell anyone anything.
    I have stopped putting any links in my threads because I love you my Detroit brother/sister.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

FINALLY a negative comment! This comment from the thread in question sums up why I started it.

I have really enjoyed your thread on the architectural riches of Detroit. I live in Seattle and after viewing your thread, I am envious of your city's architectural wealth! I'm curious how you were able to do all this research. Do you plan to publish your photos and materials? Please let me know if you do, as i would like to purchase a copy. i'm planning on a 2 week vacation in Michigan next summer and would love to use your thread as a basis for a driving architectural tour of Detroit. Any thought to putting these buildings on a map and selling it to tourists such as myself?
    it is a shame that the majority of publicity Detroit gets is for the "ruins". Clearly your city has a magnificent history of architectural splendor, of which you Detroiters should be rightly proud. I cannot wait to see it!

I have one convert out there time to work on one more!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Thx for your support Islandman anytime you want a tour or just walk around the city just let me know.

how about one giant strong superthread titled 'what strong thinks'... i think that would be a nice solution for the people who dont want to click a link and read a generic post about how great the city is.

i like the forum for the opinions of the people on here regarding news pertaining to the city. i enjoy when people have thought provoking questions that create debate. i dont think twenty threads with topics like, "we have a musical heritage, isnt that great?", "wouldnt it be great if we had more skyscrapers?" and "we need more statues, dont you think?" add anything of substance to the site. it gets old. i would argue too that putting The Great Detroit, which just so happens to be the name of his documentary, in every post should be treated as spam.

just my two cents.

Shollin Guest

I thought the thread was appropriately titled and pretty much knew what would be said. I don't know what is so bad about revisiting Detroit's music heritage. I guess I can go back to the riveting conversation about Buffalo Wild Wings.

i would rather read about a bww being put downtown than a cut and paste from wikipedia...

Wouldn't a cut and paste from wikipedia about Detroit be great? Here's a link where you can donate money.......

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    FINALLY a negative comment! This comment from the thread in question sums up why I started it.

I have really enjoyed your thread on the architectural riches of Detroit. I live in Seattle and after viewing your thread, I am envious of your city's architectural wealth! I'm curious how you were able to do all this research. Do you plan to publish your photos and materials? Please let me know if you do, as i would like to purchase a copy. i'm planning on a 2 week vacation in Michigan next summer and would love to use your thread as a basis for a driving architectural tour of Detroit. Any thought to putting these buildings on a map and selling it to tourists such as myself?
    it is a shame that the majority of publicity Detroit gets is for the "ruins". Clearly your city has a magnificent history of architectural splendor, of which you Detroiters should be rightly proud. I cannot wait to see it!

I have one convert out there time to work on one more!
    Go to my website www.strongdetroit.net or www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdoc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast