Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My threads in some instances start off as personal thoughts but in most instances are questions looking for answers and I have found that Detroityes is the best forum.
    When you read my thread somewhere someone writes the most interesting comments, something that most novice didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    how about one giant strong superthread titled 'what strong thinks'... i think that would be a nice solution for the people who dont want to click a link and read a generic post about how great the city is.

i like the forum for the opinions of the people on here regarding news pertaining to the city. i enjoy when people have thought provoking questions that create debate. i dont think twenty threads with topics like, "we have a musical heritage, isnt that great?", "wouldnt it be great if we had more skyscrapers?" and "we need more statues, dont you think?" add anything of substance to the site. it gets old. i would argue too that putting The Great Detroit, which just so happens to be the name of his documentary, in every post should be treated as spam.

just my two cents.

I don't think country is very strong in Detroit. I don't know of any country bars or even underground scene. I don't listen to country and neither jazz but I know jazz bars and underground jazz . But you are right jazz, funk, rap, rock n roll and electronic music is pouplar.

Ref. your comment/question about Detroit influence on World Music, Yusef Lateef is a pioneering influence on WM. Interestingly, he was working at a Chrysler plant around 1955 when he met a fellow from Syria, who talked of different flutes and piqued Yusef's interest...and Yusef turned his musical intellect toward that area and created some fabulous sounds, well documented on Prestige, Savoy and other labels.

I'm pretty sure when people everywhere think about gospel music , they'll know about the Winan's ... I don't think there is any underground gospel or gospel jazz bars lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I'm pretty sure when people everywhere think about gospel music , they'll know about the Winan's ... I don't think there is any underground gospel or gospel jazz bars lol
    Detroit's entire gospel industry is "underground" to most people that do not attend a Black Church. Sunday is the most segregated day in America. Detroit has been and still is the gospel music capital of the U.S. and Detroit's Gospel Singers have dominated the gospel music market for decades. There are countless choirs and gospel groups that travel the "Chitlin Circuit" of Black Churches. On that note enjoy this video of the Detroit Mass Choir at Greater Grace Temple when they were still on 7 Mile and Schaefer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDERpHfYbA

Up through the mid 60's, Detroit had a very active country scene, especially in the western suburbs and Ypsilanti. I can't document any of it.....I'm working on what's left of memory here......but there were a number of country artists and bars in and around the city. I remember reading an article about the scene at the time, strongly propelled by the folks who came up north to work in the defense plants during WW II.

It wasn't much of a recording scene, though. Country had it's power base [[Nashville, Bakersfield and the like), and Detroit had only 1 country station at the time, WEXL, and didn't gain a major radio foothold until WDEE [[the old WJBK-AM) flipped that way in 1969.

"As I told the folks the other night, I was reading in Rolling Stone where they said Detroit has the greatest rock and roll audiences in the world."

[crowd cheers]

"I said to myself, shit, I've known that for 10 years!"

[crowd goes wild]

[[From Bob Seger, as best I remember the way he said it... somebody else please identify during what song and what concert, since I drowned those particular brain cells a long time ago.)

I'm pretty sure that line is from the "Live Bullet" LP. but then my memory is a bit smokey.....

DISCOGRAPHY Live Bullet Release Date: August 05, 1976

Track List
    1. Nutbush City Limits
    2. Travelin' Man
    3. Beautiful Loser
    4. Jody Girl
    5. I've Been Working
    6. Turn the Page
    7. U.M.C. [[Upper Middle Class)
    8. Bo Diddley
    9. Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
    10. Heavy Music
    11. Katmandu
    12. Lookin' Back
    13. Get Out of Denver
    14. Let It Rock

NOTES

The album was recorded over two nights in front of 24,000 fans in Detroit

Live Bullet reached 34 on the Billboard Top 200 and was on the album chart for 168 weeks.

"Live Bullet is one of the best live albums ever made." Dave Marsh, 1983, The New Rolling Stone Record Guide.

Detroit has Baker's Keyboard Lounge which is on par with any noted jazz club in the country.

Interesting article about Baker's... thanks Jimg.

One thing about the death of Vaudeville however.... it died for 2 reasons... one was the Great Depression... but the bigger reason was that great Vaudeville barns such as the 3,384 seat Capitol Theatre [[today's Detroit Opera House)... were getting ever increasingly larger.

And when they started getting to 2,500 to 3,500 seat theatre's, the majority of seats were farther and farther from the performers. Once a distance of 75 ft. from the Vaudeville act had been exceeded... the intimacy between the act and the viewing audience was lost... and so Vaudeville died of its' own success.

So smaller theatres, clubs and dance halls took over for Vaudeville by 1935.

Questions,

Didn't KISS record their famous Comes Alive album in Detroit?

Also I reading somewhere that some movie producers are doing a documentary about the musical acts that performed at the famous theater [[I don't remember the theater's name) located on Grand River?

Also, there's a theater on Woodward just down from the Majestic that is presently being reconstructed, any information about this?

Also, Chene Park is one of the nicest outdoor venues in the country, for location/backdrop and sound system? Any competitors come to mind?
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  9.3 KB

[QUOTE=southen;346992]how about one giant strong superthread titled 'what strong thinks'... i think that would be a nice solution for the people who dont want to click a link and read a generic post about how great the city is.

I took your suggestion and posted a thread under Connect in Detroit where I post about the documentary "The Great Detroit?" I invite you to check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2