Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Visit to the Gordy Berry House with the 4 Tops

I had to the opportunity to visit the Berry Gordy House last Sunday while attending a benefit. This fabulous Italian Renaissance revival house was originally built in 1917 for Nels Michalson, a Danish businessman who made his fortune in timber and real estate. It was purchased in 1967 by Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown Records. It is also known as Motown Mansion.

My eye was immediately drawn upward to this gorgeous ceiling above the foyer and stairway

This lovely paneled room was to the right of the entrance.

The main gathering room featured an ornate fireplace.

Let's walk over the to pool house to the west of the main house.

Am I in a time warp? Aren't those the 4 Tops of Motown fame playing on a stage built over the pool?

Let's listen in and travel back in time in our minds to a 1960's party.

And, what the heck, let's pose for a pic with former Mayor Dennis Archer.

Great pictures, Lowell!! Would have loved to see the inside of that house!

Default The 4 Tops

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Great pictures, Lowell!! Would have loved to see the inside of that house!
    It looks like they changed lead singers again. I remember seeing them in Chicago about 3 yrs ago and they had a diff lead singer...this one is lacking, but I guess it's hard to get good singers these days....not in the good old days.

Great tour, Lowell. Motown is still ALIVE!

I would love to see a Motown Restaurant or Motown Gift Shop in the downtown area.