Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's Schulenburg Billiards Mfrg company - looking for info

Looking for any/all info related to this now defunct company that was in business 1860 thru 1904. Building was at 98, 100, 102 Randolph St. just west of Ren Cen. Employed up to 80 persons at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jheywood View Post
    Looking for any/all info related to this now defunct company that was in business 1860 thru 1904. Building was at 98, 100, 102 Randolph St. just west of Ren Cen. Employed up to 80 persons at one time.
    102 is the pre 1921 address. After 1921 102 turns in 520 which puts the building around the corner of Randolph and E. Congress.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10282?size=_original#caption

from shorpy.com you can see the neighborhood if not the exact business. Randolph runs in front of the County Building and disappears into that warren of streets on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/10282?size=_original#caption

from shorpy.com you can see the neighborhood if not the exact business. Randolph runs in front of the County Building and disappears into that warren of streets on the left.
    Here it is, just right of center, behind the Cigar Box Factory and below the Wm. Metzger Automobiles sign:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here are the only mentions I found in the 1895 Detroit City Directory:

Page 1136
    Pages 1215-1216
    Page 1717

Gosh, I love Shorpy. What a great photo.

Thanks for the update. I was lookng for old photos in the wrong place!

Thanks, This 1895 Directory info filled in some holes. I see the President for the company was living in Chicago at that time, and their biggest competitor of the day, the Brunswick Balke Collender billiard company [[also based in Chicago) now occupied the center of their building at 100 Randolph. I suspect the new President was somehow connected to BBC. The BBC company was know for ruthless competition with the local billiard manufacturures of the day, and would do anything to put them out of business. I suspect BBC had bought out part of Schulenburg's company.
    At this point in time. Mr Schulenburg was retired. His son was Sec. and Treasrurer.