Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gateway Shopping Center

Does anyone has the design of what the Gateway Shopping Center will look like? I had noticed that the parking lot is being paved before any structure is being constructed.

When does the center suppose to open?

As of this morning there are at least 10 construction trailers, part of the lot is paved, the entrances are being cut in, sewer work is being done. I thought we would never see the thing started but they are really moving along. Take a drive by and see for yourself. I would post pictures if I knew how.

Here is the plan.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ets-under-way#

A suburban strip mall in the city.

I drive by the site every day on my way home from work. Interestingly it looks like Hoover Electric [[the shop at the corner consisting of a couple of old bungalows converted and added onto to create commercial buildings) is sticking around! Their parcel is the square section abutting 8 Mile which is whited out in the site plans.

GUSHI Guest

If you build it, it will be abandoned in 10 years.

I really want to see a family-style restaurant in one of those stand alone buildings beside just a Mcdonald's. I will like to see a Olive Garden, TGIFridays, AppleBees's, and/or Outback Steakhouse. Sooo sick of the typical fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    If you build it, it will be abandoned in 10 years.
    It does seem like every 10 years, we get these magnificent developments that supposedly symbolizes Detroit's comeback, only for them to fail after so long.

In 1992 it was Bel-Air Centre, in 2002 it was 7 Mile and Gratiot with the Kroger, now its Gateway Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    A suburban strip mall in the city.
    Sounds good to me. Any type of decent retail layed out any which way is better then the city's usual mix of wig shops, nail salons and crappy party stores.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sounds good to me. Any type of decent retail layed out any which way is better then the city's usual mix of wig shops, nail salons and crappy party stores.
    What?!? No cell phone store?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It does seem like every 10 years, we get these magnificent developments that supposedly symbolizes Detroit's comeback, only for them to fail after so long.

In 1992 it was Bel-Air Centre, in 2002 it was 7 Mile and Gratiot with the Kroger, now its Gateway Plaza.
    Speaking of 7 mile and Gratiot, when did the Montgomery Wards store closed it's doors? Was it in the middle to late 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    [INDENT]Speaking of 7 mile and Gratiot, when did the Montgomery Wards store closed it's doors? Was it in the middle to late 90s?
    Late 80s/early 90s? Shoppers World occupied the building until 1996 or 1997, then the gist of the oiginal shopping center was demolished in 1999.

I wonder if Detroit will get back to having neighborhoods retail districts with anchor stores. Is the concept a thing of the past?

They have to keep the thieves out.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wonder if Detroit will get back to having neighborhoods retail districts with anchor stores. Is the concept a thing of the past?
    I doubt it.

These centers were built when Detroit still had its street car lines. As a result, the city was able to accomodate these dense/walkable areas that didn't depend on the automobile.

And even if, theoretically, the busineses can still build the types of retail strips like on 7 mile and Gratiot [[urban-friendly), why should they when the city won't enforce its zoning laws and it's much cheaper to build a suburban crap box.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-24-12 at 11:41 AM.

"It does seem like every 10 years, we get these magnificent developments that supposedly symbolizes Detroit's comeback, only for them to fail after so long.

In 1992 it was Bel-Air Centre, in 2002 it was 7 Mile and Gratiot with the Kroger, now its Gateway Plaza."

You forgot the Mall, complete with Farmer Jack, on Jefferson & Conner. There might be 4 stores left open, one is a check advance/cashing.

"Sounds good to me. Any type of decent retail layed out any which way is better then the city's usual mix of wig shops, nail salons and crappy party stores."

I resent that. There are lots of good party stores in Detroit.

In each case you're off by several years. Bel-Air was the Mid-80's. It was already showing signs of extinction by 1992. I am fairly certain that 7 Mile and Gratiot was late 90's.

In the early 90's came the K-marts on Seven Mile, and the other on Telegraph. I would have included Fairlane North, but it was a block outside of the City.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I really want to see a family-style restaurant in one of those stand alone buildings beside just a Mcdonald's. I will like to see a Olive Garden, TGIFridays, AppleBees's, and/or Outback Steakhouse. Sooo sick of the typical fast food.
    Because those are so delicious. There are tons of good restaurants in the city.

I like the idea of Meijer, since there is virtually no place to buy housewears in the city besides the K-Mart on Telegraph[[a good 40 minutes from my house). I think this one may have a chance to succeed, only because of its proximity to the inner ring suburbs.

Decade after decade of abandoned strip malls though - come on, what is with this unceasing effort to make Detroit into the worlds shittiest suburb? It's not going to work, if only because Detroit is surrounded by plenty of perfectly good shitty suburbs, which, if anything, are at least safe and clean.

These centers were built when Detroit still had its street car lines. As a result, the city was able to accomodate these dense/walkable areas that didn't depend on the automobile.

And even if, theoretically, the busineses can still build the types of retail strips like on 7 mile and Gratiot [[urban-friendly), why should they when the city won't enforce its zoning laws and it's much cheaper to build a suburban crap box.
    There was a very vibrant 'regional" shopping area on Houston between Kelly and Hayes that was quite a distance from the nearest streetcar line [[Gratiot).

The Harper line didn't go east of Montclair, but the Harper and Chalmers area was quite dense with shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In each case you're off by several years. Bel-Air was the Mid-80's. It was already showing signs of extinction by 1992. I am fairly certain that 7 Mile and Gratiot was late 90's.

In the early 90's came the K-marts on Seven Mile, and the other on Telegraph. I would have included Fairlane North, but it was a block outside of the City.
    You're probably right about Bel Air opening. The year 1985 rings a bell. As far as it going downhill, I have to disagree. Even by the late 90s, Toys R Us, Target, Farmer Jack, AMC Theatre and Builder's Square were all still there.

As far as 7 mile and Gratiot, I know for a fact the Kroger opened in 2001, and the demolition of the shopping center began in 1999.

Shollin Guest

There's also the shopping center at 8 Mile and Schoenherr that is mostly vacant, however that is in Warren. Used to have a Farmer Jack, Rite Aid, Blockbuster, Frank's Nusery, Theater, Art Van, and Al Long Ford. Only thing left last I checked was Art Van.

What I like about all these huge retail/commercial developments is JOBSSSS!!!!! Thousands will be working within a year! That's GREAT NEWS to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast