Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

lol...

MidtownMs- I was actually gonna mention that in my statement but didn't want to keep rambling on. The "U" has a lot to do with it.

And MSU [[I gotta be fair).

One of things this city and region has going for it is that the city of Detroit has to rank pretty high in a list of the most interesting American cities.

One of the good quotes from John Sinclair is something like "Detroit is like an experiment gone wrong. Let's see what happens when you take all the jobs away and give the people some really cheap cocaine to smoke".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Just how many American cities larger than Detroit have all 4 major sports teams, and an archdiocese with a cardinal hat?
    The Archbishop of Detroit isn't a Cardinal, and we probably won't see one again. Maida was the last one.

Just another example of this region becoming less important, less relevant to the rest of society.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    The Archbishop of Detroit isn't a Cardinal, and we probably won't see one again. Maida was the last one.

Just another example of this region becoming less important, less relevant to the rest of society.
    Ummm.... you do realize that Detroit is the only city in the USA with 2 Cardinal Emeritus? Edmund Cardinal Szoka and Adam Cardinal Maida...
    current Archbishop Allen Vergeron will likely get his cardinal hat eventually... so I think you're over pessimistic about Detroit losing its' Cardinal status. At 1.4+ million members in the Archdiocese, it's the 6th largest Archdiocese in the country [[Brooklyn is only a Diocese)... Detroit gained its' Cardinal status in 1937... and the Archdiocese is not just based on the city's population... but the 7 county catholic population.

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/scus1.html

So I wouldn't worry about Detroit losing its' Cardinal status to such places as Indianapolis, Columbus, Austin, Phoenix, San Diego or San Jose...

And currently neither Los Angeles nor Philadelphia have an Archbishop who is a Cardinal. These things take time....
    Last edited by Gistok; October-22-12 at 05:25 PM.

Ummm.... you do realize that Detroit is the only city in the USA with 2 Cardinal Emeritus? Edmund Cardinal Szoka and Adam Cardinal Maida...
    current Archbishop Allen Vergeron will likely get his cardinal hat eventually... so I think you're over pessimistic about Detroit losing its' Cardinal status. At 1.4+ million members in the Archdiocese, it's the 6th largest Archdiocese in the country [[Brooklyn is only a Diocese)... Detroit gained its' Cardinal status in 1937... and the Archdiocese is not just based on the city's population... but the 7 county catholic population.

So I wouldn't worry about Detroit losing its' Cardinal status to such places as Indianapolis, Columbus, Austin, Phoenix, San Diego or San Jose...

And currently neither Los Angeles nor Philadelphia have an Archbishop who is a Cardinal. These things take time....
    I bet you a plenary indulgence we're not getting another Cardinal. So we've got a couple around from our glory days, that's fine. We also have other stuff lying around from those days as well.

You mention the other counties. Michigan was the only state to lose population in the last decade - and not just Detroit! The counties that grew were largely from people leaving Detroit, without a doubt. Yet everything in this freaking region - even bloody Cardinals - always go back to "Oh, it's not just Detroit, Detroit may be bad but we have Metro Detroit, look, we have Oakland County, we have Rochester, we have Shelby Township, it's all so very wonderful" Well, Metro Detroit doesn't have a Cardinal anymore, or a lot of other things, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for them, believing the growth machine needs to just be switched back on.

You are so right and also two of the top 4 or 5 contributing parishes to the catholic relief fund in the world are located here. Archbishop Vergeron was picked to be a cardinal by the higher ups in the vatican from the beginning. Its all about the Benjamins!!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I bet you a plenary indulgence we're not getting another Cardinal. So we've got a couple around from our glory days, that's fine. We also have other stuff lying around from those days as well.

You mention the other counties. Michigan was the only state to lose population in the last decade - and not just Detroit! The counties that grew were largely from people leaving Detroit, without a doubt. Yet everything in this freaking region - even bloody Cardinals - always go back to "Oh, it's not just Detroit, Detroit may be bad but we have Metro Detroit, look, we have Oakland County, we have Rochester, we have Shelby Township, it's all so very wonderful" Well, Metro Detroit doesn't have a Cardinal anymore, or a lot of other things, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for them, believing the growth machine needs to just be switched back on.
    Apparently you believe that total population and growth statistics are more significant than CATHOLIC population in an archdiocese... I think that the church will differ with you on that.

Here's a list/map of the breakdown of the USA Catholic Hierarchy... and state by state maps of the provinces of the Church...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Traditional Cardinal-Archbishop cities are Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles and recently added Galveston-Houston. You don't see any other southern cities Archbishops who have Cardinal status because in many of them the Catholic population [[despite large Hispanic influxes) is still not a significant portion of the total population, and their Archdiocese are not that large [[Catholic percentage wise). And some large metro areas [[such as Dallas and Cleveland) are relegated to having only Bishops.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-23-12 at 03:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2