Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where does Detroit rank?

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  7.9 KB
    I think that Detroit is still considered a major city. Now, I don't say major in comparison to NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, San Francisco, or Los Angeles. I say major because we are talked about more so than other cities who are have a large or similar size population, like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Charlotte, San Diego, Houston, or even Philly.

We have the all the professional sports franchises.
    We have several entities that we are identified for: Automobiles and Motown. And once ranked the world's largest corporation General Motors and again the largest automobile manufacturer is headquartered here.
    We have a rich history where we were once the fifth largest city and so on.
    We have a bad reputation which keeps us in the spotlight and many media outlets questioning our comeback.
    We have a number of nationally televised events, like the Thanksgiving parade, hydroplane boat race, car race on Belle Isle
    We have the Detroit Jazz Fest and Electronic Music Fest which are both well known.

I might be wrong, but I think nationally people will mention Detroit even before some larger cities if for no other reason than to say they wouldn't live here.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I think that Detroit is still considered a major city. Now, I don't say major in comparison to NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, San Francisco, or Los Angeles. I say major because we are talked about more so than other cities who are have a large or similar size population, like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Charlotte, San Diego, Houston, or even Philly.

We have several entities that we are identified for: Automobiles and Motown. And once ranked the world's largest corporation General Motors and again the largest automobile manufacturer is headquartered here.
    We have a bad reputation which keeps us in the spotlight and many media outlets questioning our comeback.
    We have a number of nationally televised events, like the Thanksgiving parade, hydroplane boat race, car race on Belle Isle
    We have the Detroit Jazz Fest and Electronic Music Fest which are both well known.

I might be wrong, but I think nationally people will mention Detroit even before some larger cities if for no other reason than to say they wouldn't live here.
    Your grouping is a bit off, so not sure what you're trying to rank? Houston is the fourth largest city in the country and fifth largest metro. Philly is the fifth largest city and sixth largest metro. Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Charlotte are all MUCH smaller metros than any of the other cities on the list, less than half the size of Metro Detroit, and San Diego is also a lot smaller than most of those other cities too.

You forgot to include the sales pitch for your DVD.

Detroit historically is in the same league as Chicago, NYC and Philadelphia [[I call it America's 4th city).

But since the 1970s, it has been rapidly shrinking relative to the rest of the country, including the aforementioned cities.

It still has that old-skool big city feel to it though, because of how big it was in the past. That's going to change soon though.

Name:  world2010t.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  42.7 KB officially we are a beta minor city that ranks just above Denver. Beta cities are defined as "important world cities that are instrumental in linking their region or state into the world economy"
    Source:
    http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/gawcworlds.html

How long are these endless comparisons to other cities going to go on? If you look hard enough you will find things in other cities that are worse than in Detroit. But how are these comparisons going to help Detroit? No matter how high the crime rates or the umployment rates or corruption is in other cities how is that going to help Detroit. Does it make Detroiters feel better when they discover that some big city has a higher crime rate or unemployment rate?
    Last edited by MidTownMs; October-20-12 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    How long are these endless comparisons to other cities going to go on? If you look hard enough you will find things in other cities that are worse than in Detroit. But how are these comparisons going to help Detroit? No matter how high the crime rates or the umployment rates or corruption is in other cities how is that going to help Detroit. Does it make Detroiters feel better when they discover that some big city has a higher crime rate or unemployment rate?

Great post, MidTownMs

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Name:  world2010t.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  42.7 KB officially we are a beta minor city that ranks just above Denver. Beta cities are defined as "important world cities that are instrumental in linking their region or state into the world economy"
    Source:
    http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/gawcworlds.html

Reading the GAWC methodology, I think it underestimates the overall impact of many cities [[including Detroit, Los Angeles, Tokyo and Paris, among others) and overestimates generic cities connected into world trade, particularly with many other ranked cities in methodology [[overranking many of the European second tier cities and Chicago, in particular).

The GAWC measures accounting, advertising, finance, insurance, and law. Thus, cities that influence from the mind, culture, or manufacturing, only get ranked highly because of the tangential industries that support their main industry. We in Detroit are being ranked by how many law firms, advertising agencies, and insurance companies that our works have produced here in Detroit, rather than the influence and sales of our cultural and manufactured products.

Also, second tier European cities would be higher ranked because of the network effect, in that their advertising, accounting, etc. jobs, would be highly tied in to other European cities, especially the top tier ones. Much of our production [[or LA or Paris') would be going to the hinterlands instead, and not be included in this methodology.

This methodology measures how much side work does your city create, and of this work, how much of it is connected to the other big cities. This is good for some purposes, but not so good in ranking Detroit, except in ancillary services production.
    Last edited by rooms222; October-20-12 at 12:53 PM.

Don't forget our world class symphony and Art Institute, the library and Wayne State University with all it has to offer. The Detroit Zoo is also very innovative in its design of exhibits to combine best viewing and resident comfort. We have automotive and industrial history down as well, with the Henry Ford, all the auto magnate homes open for tours, Detroit Historical Museum, Chrysler Museum, and more.

Our GDP is about the same as Toronto's, even though we have a smaller population, and Toronto is an alpha city. I'm definitely not saying Detroit is as good as Toronto or that we should be ranked near it, but I think a lot of people underestimate Detroit. To me, Detroit is undoubtedly a big and important city.

Name:  2013 Emerging Trends -Eastern USA.jpg
Views: 2614
Size:  27.6 KBAbove is a map of the eastern United States ranking major cities as to the desirability of real estate investment - both new construction and existing buildings. It is a 1 to 51 ranking. The ranking number is next to the color-coded location dot.

This report just came out the other day and is called "Emerging Trends in Real Estate – 2013." It is published annually [[34th edition) by the Urban Land Institute and PricecoopersWaterhouse. You can download the entire report here:
    http://www.worldpropertychannel.com/...eport-6189.php

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Great post, MidTownMs
    Thanks. Yet they continue.

I recall it being a pretty big deal when Detroit went from gamma to beta cluster in world city rankings

Lists are so subjective that I often don't even bother with them... If Berlin is a Beta city.... then there's something really flawed in this list... the capital of Europe's leading economy and one of the great culture capitals of the world.. is behind alpha Frankfurt... a city only 1/5 its' size, boggles the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I recall it being a pretty big deal when Detroit went from gamma to beta cluster in world city rankings
    Wasn't that mostly due to the upgrades at Metro Airport & the Delta Airlines/Northwest Airlines merger, rather than any change in our economic/cultural influence?

If nothing else, Detroit does have one of the best Airports in the world.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-20-12 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If nothing else, Detroit does have one of the best Airports in the world.
    You're not kidding. The airport could easily be the best of any I have ever been to. Although it is mostly useful for escaping from Metro Detroit.

I think there is a historic aura about Detroit that is hard to overestimate. from its days as a frontier town, through its lumber and fur eras, through the rise of the automobile and the "Arsenal of Democracy" years through Motown, Rock and Roll and Techno, the city has changed in character more than most cities, yet somehow through every change the rough-hewn frontier birth seems to remain at its core. Detroit has influenced the world more than many world capitals, more than many cities many times larger. Detroit is sort of fetishized by people I've met from Europe, Japan, China and other places. In that way, it will remain a major city where other cities our size will remain afterthoughts

I also think that Detroit is more so thought of than other cities because when Detroiters visit or move many of us carry that Detroit mojo. I know that when I visit other cities, I am quick to mention when asked that I'm from Detroit. I don't get that when I meet people from other cities.

I also think that Detroit is more so thought of than other cities because when Detroiters visit or move many of us carry that Detroit mojo. I know that when I visit other cities, I am quick to mention when asked that I'm from Detroit. I don't get that when I meet people from other cities.
    What exactly is Detroit mojo?

What exactly is Detroit mojo?
    I can't explain it but I have been told on many occassion and in many places around the world that Detroit has one.

I can't explain it but I have been told on many occassion and in many places around the world that Detroit has one.
    Did the people who told you know what it was?

Did the people who told you know what it was?
    Is that a trick question?

I think most folks would agree that "mojo" [[of any kind) involves mysticism which, by definition, diminishes the significance of knowledge in seeking truth.

So, attempting to know what mojo really is kind of defeats the very purpose of the term?

[[Not that I'm taking sides where sides may not even exist.)

[[I am a recovering epistemologist.)
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-21-12 at 09:23 PM.

I don't know about mojo but I can say one thing about metro Detroiter's. No matter where we go, we can always carve out a spot and make a name for ourselves. Detroiter's can make it BIG in any city and most of us do.

I think that's what Strong means. When we move to other cities, most of us proudly put a Michigan stamp on whatever we do. And that's why people are aware that S.E. Michiganders are to be respected and EXPECTED to do great things. There aren't too many cities where people carry their pride the way S.E. Michiganders do. We stand out because as a region, we never let the world forget where we come from.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I don't know about mojo but I can say one thing about metro Detroiter's. No matter where we go, we can always carve out a spot and make a name for ourselves. Detroiter's can make it BIG in any city and most of us do.

I think that's what Strong means. When we move to other cities, most of us proudly put a Michigan stamp on whatever we do. And that's why people are aware that S.E. Michiganders are to be respected and EXPECTED to do great things. There aren't too many cities where people carry their pride the way S.E. Michiganders do. We stand out because as a region, we never let the world forget where we come from.

Does having a University of Michigan alumni license plate holder around my New Mexico license plate count?

Just how many American cities larger than Detroit have all 4 major sports teams, and an archdiocese with a cardinal hat? I bet the number really starts decreasing once you whittle away the fact that many are larger because of incorporation of surrounding areas have increased their land size to many times that of Detroit... metro area size is a more important determination... especially when some cities have just about incorporated their entire metro area...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast